Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

Imagine a place that wants to be super conservative like Texas, but also wants to party like it's spring break all the time.

That place is Florida.

Speaking as someone who was in Orlando from ages 14-24ish, there's also this double mind thing going on there culturally. Like, there's a bit of a self-image that thinks of itself as a cultural hub in the same way that CA or NY are, but at the same time it's an utter cultural wasteland (with the exception that utterly proves the rule being Disney) and the gap between those two things makes people Real Weird. A lot of ambition and ego with no place to vent it and the worst wages of any major city in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Godholio posted:

^My problem isn't that I think their ideology deserves a place at the big boy table, it's that I don't see a way to prohibit that kind of speech (absent accompanying violence or directly inciting violence which IS illegal), without opening a huge can of worms that allows whoever is in power to determine what is and is not ok. That's precisely why the First Amendment was written the way it is. If there's a way to do it, I'm listening. But I don't think there is.

This is something I'm super worried about, too. I do agree that Nazism is one of those things that becomes an existential threat if you don't keep it stamped out, but I'm not sure how to justify it in a way that doesn't erode the protections for anybody not in power. There are definitely ways to explain the distinction (anybody who believes in trying to keep down/remove anybody else over things about themselves that they can't control is bad), but the degree to which social justice concepts have been repurposed by racists to weaponize against, like, BLM shows how hard this can backfire.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

There's violence on both sides!!

Nah, fascism is a fail-state for civilization. It's what happens when people lose faith in all alternatives.

• Locked thread