Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 5 is up now! I completely forgot about how many things there are to do in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

A birdcage! Such brilliant and original symbolism! Give the writer a medal!

Watching this reminds me of everything awful about Downpour. Those loving pulldown ladders frustrated the heck out of me. The sidequests are dumb too, I don't know how you'd be able to do half of them without a guide. There's no indication of where they start or end, and you have an entire town trying to kill you while you figure it out.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'll give the developers credit in that sidequests hadn't really been tried in a Silent Hill game before. But it already seems like there's way too many of them, and there really isn't a good in-game reason for Murphy to get sidetracked in this way when it seems like his main goal is just to get the hell out of Silent Hill. He isn't looking for a lost loved one or trying to get revenge or anything that would make him want to hang around and do all this stuff so it just seems weird. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now since these might make sense later on in the game.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 16, 2017

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
It has been an eternity and a third since I have seen any of this game, and frankly I've forgotten it, but I do remember something about the best way to play being to put the game in the framework of treating Silent Hill like Purgatory. It's pretty obvious Murphy has baggage, and his goal to get out of Silent Hill is probably going to require he resolve that baggage. With that particular mindset, these sidequests could, at least for some of them, be morality tests. Only some of them, obviously. I mean, you could treat the redirection of the police cars as him setting aside his personal guilt, even if just temporarily. And so on and so forth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So it kind of feels like Murph hasn't really found his own Silent Hill, as much as he's like a bit character in the cop lady's, and is basically cleaning up after all the things previous presumed protagonists ignored at their peril.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I like how you steal a painting in the middle of a sidequest about returning stolen things.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

So it kind of feels like Murph hasn't really found his own Silent Hill, as much as he's like a bit character in the cop lady's, and is basically cleaning up after all the things previous presumed protagonists ignored at their peril.

That's actually a really good observation, and that kind of comes into play a bit at the end of the game.

Forgall posted:

I like how you steal a painting in the middle of a sidequest about returning stolen things.

Yeah, but we stole in order to eventually find treasure, and that's completely different.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
So compared to previous Silent Hills, this version is relatively devoid of monsters. You can go through several quests without running into even a basic enemy. I guess Murphy feels alone in the world.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! We've run into what is apparently a VERY common glitch in this game, and it's supposed to just kind of fix itself a couple of hours in. I have no idea, guys.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Downpour beat PT to the punch with a hellish, repetitive loop :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I played this game and never encountered that glitch. Amazing.

Also I beat up everything I met and still got the good ending so I wouldn't stress so much about it. I think you are okay so long as you don't do executions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I... I mean, on one hand, game just got boring. On the other hand, YOU'RE THE REAL MONSTER NOW, MURPHY.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

Also I beat up everything I met and still got the good ending so I wouldn't stress so much about it. I think you are okay so long as you don't do executions.

Yeah, the executions are the key things. I actually kind of wish I let the enemies get back up during the gauntlet just so I could knock-them-down-again to death, but I still think I'm in the clear for the good ending.

Glazius posted:

I... I mean, on one hand, game just got boring. On the other hand, YOU'RE THE REAL MONSTER NOW, MURPHY.

You're actually partially on the right track. :-D

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Did you guys give up already?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Domus posted:

Pete and Amy never give up, unless it's that one DreadOut sequel for whatever reason!

No, unfortunately, we had some major audio issues with our last session, so it's just taking a bit longer to edit these next couple of episodes. The new video should be up by Friday, so we're only going to miss one day that we would have normally uploaded. I forgot to post about that here because we actually thought that it might have gotten put up today, but other stuff snowballed and we just couldn't get it.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 24, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Domus posted:

Fuckin check this guy out

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7 is up now! We finally get to one of the new game mechanics that I had been waiting for. It's nothing ground breaking, but it's still pretty neat.

Also, when we recorded parts 7 and 8, something really weird happened with the mic recording the audio from the console in addition to our separate voice track, so if the audio seems a bit wonky in spots, we apologize. I think it still turned out pretty well, and I'd like to personally thank my wife for that. :-D

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Copper :3:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I couldn't quite see what you were reading "041" off of, video resolution or something. Have you got a still or something where you can pick it out?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I couldn't quite see what you were reading "041" off of, video resolution or something. Have you got a still or something where you can pick it out?

I'll get a screenshot after I get home from work. I think it was just an optical illusion thing, though, so I don't think that there's actually a super-secret password. But how cool would that be? :-D

EDIT: This is what I was talking about. The more I look at it, the more I feel like it IS something, but I don't know what.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 29, 2017

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Maybe it was a swing-and-miss for the 0451 in-joke that's been running since Deus Ex.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Maybe it was a swing-and-miss for the 0451 in-joke that's been running since Deus Ex.

Ha, I never would have realized that. :-D It very well could be, though.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now!

So, I'm going to apologize in advance, but the audio in this episode is REALLY messed up. This is the last time this should happen, as the next episode is going to be part of a new recording session. We didn't want to skip a whole lot of the game, so we uploaded it anyway, but next time, we'll probably just record audio over the video and podcast our way through. (Hopefully this won't happen again, though.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

pedrovay2003 posted:

I'll get a screenshot after I get home from work. I think it was just an optical illusion thing, though, so I don't think that there's actually a super-secret password. But how cool would that be? :-D

EDIT: This is what I was talking about. The more I look at it, the more I feel like it IS something, but I don't know what.

Hmm. Could be. I wonder if there's somebody else who painted secret passwords into paintings.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Ooo, I like the horror chase from this last video. Lots of cool stuff and lots of going in circles.

I get that they're trying to make Murphy sympathetic here, but he still brutally murdered someone in the showers. Revealing the guy was a child molester doesn't mean it's suddenly okay.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The "Murph is a character in someone else's Silent Hill game" theory is gaining traction. The mailman's like "this isn't about you", and the town reacted to you and DJ Ricks planning to do something in roughly the same manner a theater director does to two spear-carriers trying to take over a monologue.

Meanwhile the cop lady shows up to investigate the guy who's been sending all those dedications to the guy she's tracking down in Silent Hill, and now she's probably got some kind of elaborate boss fight. And where are we? Running around backstage one step ahead of the janitor.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Silent Hill 4 did it better :colbert:

It seems like the maze sections would be right on the line between scary and tedious if I were to play them.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Silent Hill 4 did it better :colbert:

It seems like the maze sections would be right on the line between scary and tedious if I were to play them.

That's how I started to feel after Pete passed by the exit for like the second time. It's scary while you're still seeing new rooms. The whole thing gets a bit goofy when you end up running in circles like Scooby-Doo.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

That's how I started to feel after Pete passed by the exit for like the second time. It's scary while you're still seeing new rooms. The whole thing gets a bit goofy when you end up running in circles like Scooby-Doo.

I can definitely agree with this. I genuinely like the chase sequences, but yeah, that particular one was a bit much.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up now! We decided to go back to the tried-and-true, being-able-to-hear-things format.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A single inexplicable puzzle you have to solve in order to proceed or multiple inexplicable puzzles you can solve whenever you want.

I actually like the approach Downpour's taken here? It feels very... room escape-y?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You guys need picture in picture for Copper.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

100% agreed.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
We can try to get some footage of Copper for the next episode. I'm sure she'll be fine with loving the Xbox again. :-P

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now! We absolutely did not cut nine minutes of me trying to find a door, no sir!

Also, this is the first time during all of our recording sessions that Copper didn't once come into the room. We may have some post-recording stuff to add to the end of the next video, but that'll have to tide us all over. I'll actually put her onto the 360 next time. :P

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What did you even get for that record time painting sidequest? Just a tickmark on your tally?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

What did you even get for that record time painting sidequest? Just a tickmark on your tally?

I think so, yeah. Unfortunately, I think most of these are just going to be for achievements (I have notifications turned off; maybe I should actually check to see if I got any).

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now! There's a really cool Easter egg in this episode for veteran Silent Hill fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This game really doesn't have a good way to materially reward exploration beyond "here's another gun you can't carry and more bullets." It's got this large map to explore and no incentives to do so unless you want to go "huh, that's neat I guess." You can tell they want to reward your farting about, but they can't seem to make it really work.

• Locked thread