Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

This game really doesn't have a good way to materially reward exploration beyond "here's another gun you can't carry and more bullets." It's got this large map to explore and no incentives to do so unless you want to go "huh, that's neat I guess." You can tell they want to reward your farting about, but they can't seem to make it really work.

Not only that, but after you advance a bit more in the story, it's almost a guarantee that your weapons are going to be taken away again, anyway. I'm inclined to think that you're supposed to leave the sidequests alone until you're desperate for equipment, or something, but I never once felt that desperation.

I like the game, I really do, but it's hard to convince myself of that when I talk about it in writing. I don't know why it pulls me in so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh, yeah, I really enjoyed my first time with this game. Its got some neat side stories, at least, so you can kind look for those just to see what's going to happen, and that is kind of its own reward.

I think they sat down and brainstormed lots of ideas for puzzles and content, but couldn't come up with a reason to actually make you engage with it. If they leaned a little harder on this idea that Murphy is a bystander in someone else's Silent Hill, maybe if he was wandering into the torments and troubles of other people and these puzzles and stories were more connected to those hypothetical NPCs, then some of these things could be prominent set pieces with a bit more oomph to them.

The only other thing I can imagine is some kind of progression system that gives points, pesetas or some other kind of currency whenever you engage in these things, and that seems wrong in a Silent Hill.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Oh, yeah, I really enjoyed my first time with this game. Its got some neat side stories, at least, so you can kind look for those just to see what's going to happen, and that is kind of its own reward.

I think they sat down and brainstormed lots of ideas for puzzles and content, but couldn't come up with a reason to actually make you engage with it. If they leaned a little harder on this idea that Murphy is a bystander in someone else's Silent Hill, maybe if he was wandering into the torments and troubles of other people and these puzzles and stories were more connected to those hypothetical NPCs, then some of these things could be prominent set pieces with a bit more oomph to them.

The only other thing I can imagine is some kind of progression system that gives points, pesetas or some other kind of currency whenever you engage in these things, and that seems wrong in a Silent Hill.

Stamps. You can send away for stuff and the postman will bring it to you when you start the next chapter. It's all ridiculous comic novelty stuff and both the box and the lid vanish when you open it, but somehow ordering a fake human heart and novelty spring shoes increase your maximum health and run speed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's fantastic and gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Stamps. You can send away for stuff and the postman will bring it to you when you start the next chapter. It's all ridiculous comic novelty stuff and both the box and the lid vanish when you open it, but somehow ordering a fake human heart and novelty spring shoes increase your maximum health and run speed.

Clearly, a remaster/remake is in order.

In all seriousness, though, I love the idea of sending letters out via the mailman; that would add a level of interactivity that certainly isn't there right now.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 10, 2017

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I just don't think Silent Hill lends itself to a sandbox kind of world. If anything, it should be kinda metroidvania, in that the objects you get should allow you to progress into further and further areas. Doesn't mean you can't have sidequests, but I think it should be more like the birds. You get story as a reward. But it should be story limited to one or a few persons. Learning there was some guy that got his watch stolen isn't very interesting by itself.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Speaking of sidequests, how many fire escape ladders did you pass while running around carrying that hook? I lost count.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Including one immediately after picking up the hook and while going "Okay, where's that ladder?"

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

Speaking of sidequests, how many fire escape ladders did you pass while running around carrying that hook? I lost count.

SIGSEGV posted:

Including one immediately after picking up the hook and while going "Okay, where's that ladder?"

You want to hear some bull-dookie? There are only very specific ladders that you can pull down, and the rest are just decoration.

I know.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

pedrovay2003 posted:

You want to hear some bull-dookie? There are only very specific ladders that you can pull down, and the rest are just decoration.

I know.

This game may have a few tiny problems to its name.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Are there visual differences, or are you supposed to just swing your hook at every possible fire escape? The hookable ones looked like they dangled down more, but maybe that was just the video.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Domus posted:

Are there visual differences, or are you supposed to just swing your hook at every possible fire escape? The hookable ones looked like they dangled down more, but maybe that was just the video.

Yeah, the ones with which you can interact are a bit lower, and they kind of have two layers, making it look like they can be unfolded or extended.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Don't they also flash like all the other interactable things/pickups?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't believe so. If they do give some kind of indication, I haven't noticed, myself.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 12, 2017

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now! We actually got some good Copper footage for this one. :D

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The tickler was just doing for the ceiling what Copper was for the Xbox.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I really hope you pop the case off that XBox and clean it out ever now and again or all that cat hair is gonna gently caress it.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
You guys could probably change the title to "A CAT AND HER XBOX! Oh and some Silent Hill Downpour I guess..." and increase your audience further. :kimchi:

I'm paranoid enough about my Xbox making a super-loud noise when it's reading a disc of any kind, I'm torn between "oh my gosh Copper is too cute!" and "OH MY GOD COPPER NO YOU'RE GONNA BREAK OR OVERHEAT IT!". Be careful there.

And yes this is my first post in ages because of a cat on the Internet I regret nothing

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm definitely going to clean out the Xbox. :-P She sheds pretty easily, so it's something that's going to have to be done more than once. I've got the canned air close!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Right, that's the deal with specific weapons as keys. If you want to make an actual lock-and-key puzzle to force someone to go a certain way, well, there are a lot of acceptable substitutes for weapons but not really one for a key, so much.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 13 is up now! This is one of the cooler sequences in the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the play was a pretty neat sequence. Bless 'em, they're really making an effort to do atmosphere here. It's crazy and weird and a little fanciful, and overall not that bad.

I've started worrying about our old DJ buddy now, though. I hope he's not partially fused with the turntables, or whatever.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I've started worrying about our old DJ buddy now, though. I hope he's not partially fused with the turntables, or whatever.

Oh, God, I hadn't even thought of that. Is his spirit a part of every record player now? Was I cracking DJ Ricks? Maybe he was the one person that was clapping, and he LIKES getting cracked, the sicko.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So, it does appear that the ladders that you can pull down do flash like the other interactable objects. Which makes sense.

When this goes to archives, might I suggest a subtitle of "Oh Geez! Not Worth it."?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 14 is up now! We finish up another part of the story here, and story-wise, we're getting close to the end. But there's so much more to do!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... Murphy snapped and beat a bunch of people to death with a cinderblock?

The Great Knife at least has a backstory as an execution thing, but what's the cinderblock for?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

So... Murphy snapped and beat a bunch of people to death with a cinderblock?

The Great Knife at least has a backstory as an execution thing, but what's the cinderblock for?

Shock value! (That's actually a great question.)

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
It's a bit of a stretch, but given the themes of the game, it might refer to how cinderblocks are (were?) often used to build jails.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Oh, that's a cool idea, actually. I'm sure everything is symbolic, but yeah, I really didn't understand that one.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 15 is up now! It's back to some sidequests for this episode, but at least stuff happens!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just goes to show you - never play poker with melty-face monsters and cha-cha demons. They'll start getting all symbolic on you.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 16 is up now! We finally finish up the sidequests in this shorter-than-usual-because-we-got-lost-a-ton episode!

Glazius posted:

Just goes to show you - never play poker with melty-face monsters and cha-cha demons. They'll start getting all symbolic on you.

This is why you never see a cha-cha demon pit boss in Vegas.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's a very tacky demon statue you've got there.

I can't see it being more effective than that axe, honestly.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
What happened with that ribbon sidequest, as I understand it, is that the mother trained her daughter to follow the ribbons to get home, then one day changed the ribbons to lead off of a pier so the daughter would drown.

Pretty much all the sidequests in this game feel like those Eastern European fairy tales where there's magical realism, but everything is just doomed and tragic and there's barely a lesson to be learned from it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fiendly posted:

What happened with that ribbon sidequest, as I understand it, is that the mother trained her daughter to follow the ribbons to get home, then one day changed the ribbons to lead off of a pier so the daughter would drown.

Pretty much all the sidequests in this game feel like those Eastern European fairy tales where there's magical realism, but everything is just doomed and tragic and there's barely a lesson to be learned from it.

Oh, holy crap, that's morbid. I can see that now, and it makes sense that the key to the house was where it was, considering this.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It's morbid, but at least it makes an interesting sidequest. Most of the other sidequests were so stupid. There was no story. You go through all this trouble and you get...a weapon. Woo. Although I like the demon statue as a weapon concept. But just weapons? Not even, like, an item that hides you from enemies, or even just makes you immune to the stupid screaming women? Or if they couldn't think of anything else combat related, give Murphy a sanctuary you can decorate. Something. I've never seen a game where doing sidequests is so underwhelming. You literally have to check to make sure that was the end of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Stamps! I keep sayin'.

It's weird that there are two different weapons but you can only carry one. I suppose the other one will stay in the cemetery or the map room if you drop it, at least.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Honestly it would be funny if the player was so mundane for Silent Hill to care to fix or teach a lesson to about anything that they just let them linger and interact with the freaks and monsters that typically find their way into it. An avatar of punishment with a rhombus for a head comes up to you, shakes his giant flaming sword and utters "You are guilty of..." tries to think about finding anything to waste his time with and just slumps off with a shrug.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
And that wouldn't even be the joke ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Honestly it would be funny if the player was so mundane for Silent Hill to care to fix or teach a lesson to about anything that they just let them linger and interact with the freaks and monsters that typically find their way into it. An avatar of punishment with a rhombus for a head comes up to you, shakes his giant flaming sword and utters "You are guilty of..." tries to think about finding anything to waste his time with and just slumps off with a shrug.

That would kind of fit with the idea the Murphy is just some random schlub in another person's Silent Hill game experience.

• Locked thread