Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Agreed! Let's do Reimu's stuff first so we can move on to more exciting prospects later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Let's get Reimu out of the way.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I'm glad we've all internalized Reimu being boring.

Btw, this is a bit late, but if any of you happen to notice any spelling/grammar mistakes in the script, please point them out.

Buried Treasure
Oct 23, 2008
Let's start with Marisa, if it's always the same!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Also Meeko is incredibly cute and really does fit in with the Touhou cast. Also it's kinda hilarious because FMW4 hit like.. one month before TH14 introduced Doremy Sweet who is pretty much exactly her.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
The demo for legacy of lunatic kingdom came out like the day before the demo for FMW4.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Utsuho owns. Utsuhowns.

Glad this LP is happening, I'm looking forward to all the cool mechanics sanbondo came up with that will never happen in SRW.

Weird that Tenshi's BGM starts off as Black Stranger. It is not the first SRW BGM to get referenced, but hers is almost identical to Black Stranger at the beginning. Her animations don't even look like Asakim's so I'm half expecting her to turn into a total edgelord halfway through the game to justify the reference.

As for the vote, I'm going to say Golden Battler's choice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Her and Asakim are similar in that they're both immortals who see being made immortal as a punishment. Of course in Tenshi's case she's just mildly bored and not searching for a way to die.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Might as well get Reimu out of the way.

And except for one or two edge cases (like Meiling), the BGM references from SRW don't seem to have any significance with the character they end up being tied to.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
It occurs to me that I forgot to set a deadline for this vote.

Let's say the deadline is Tuesday (Sep 5) 11:59 PM PST.

Current standings for anyone who cares:

Reimu: 4
Alice: 2
Marisa: 4

My choice: 1

(My choice is Marisa btw, so she's currently in the lead).

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Let's go with Marisa then to avoid an awkward tie, and she probably has the better story.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Considering how almost everything flies in this game you could use Tenshi's second PS and an S Rank Air Item and just make her a massive death machine by critting literally everything.

Also, Marisa

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

Her and Asakim are similar in that they're both immortals who see being made immortal as a punishment. Of course in Tenshi's case she's just mildly bored and not searching for a way to die.

i thought the joke was that Asakim dresses like and hangs around people who also dress like BDSM enthusiasts while his best attack is his robot cutting itself to use robot blood, which are probably extremes to which you see Tenshi portrayed from her handful of lines which sounded masochistic

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

i thought the joke was that Asakim dresses like and hangs around people who also dress like BDSM enthusiasts while his best attack is his robot cutting itself to use robot blood, which are probably extremes to which you see Tenshi portrayed from her handful of lines which sounded masochistic

That feels like a bit more of a stretch. Especially since they don't seem to be portraying Tenshi like that at all.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I don't think it's necessarily that SA and UFO get favoritism in this game - every single unit you get in FMW4 is at least great. I believe the intent here is to A) give you units to use if you somehow messed up real bad, and B) give you a compelling reason to use them, since if they were merely okay it'd be a lot harder to justify replacing mainstays you've already sunk time, PP, and dosh into. That said, it is kinda over-done, but hopefully the next patch coming up eventually helps with that (I do have to wonder how long they intend on patching the game for? They could stop now and I wouldn't blame them but they just keep going!).

Also Sky-fortress Crit Machine Tenshi isn't terribly worth it i'd say since crits don't actually hit for that much more than a regular attack, and it has the opportunity cost of giving up the Shimenawa, which has numerous people vying for it way harder (Suwako comes to mind, as does anyone with a B in air), and 10 SP guard, which is pretty dang good. Sword of Ebullience is, in my opinion, just there if you want to use backpack Tenshi for whatever reason, since her S in all terrains attack is also her back-row attack.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
:siren::siren::siren:
Chapter 59

space filler

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
New Character

Kogasa Tatara
Personal Skills:
-Sadism!?: "Boo!" casts the Provoke spirit enemies always target the person that cast it on them on enemies it hits.
-Bullying!?: "Boo!" casts the Mercy spirit the next attack will reduce the target to 10 HP instead of killing them on enemies it hits.
-Tatara Step: Both units in pair do +10% damage and recieve -10% damage.
-Shared Umbrella: The next spirit Kogasa casts is cast on the other unit in the pair as well. (1 Use).
Spirit List: Focus, Wall, Strike, Accel, Provoke, Assault

Mods please probate anyone that bullies Kogasa in this certified No Bully Zone, tia.

Luckily you shouldn't have to, because Kogasa is excellent. As her PSes might suggest, she's a 2.0 Cost unit intended for use as a backpack, and she's very good at it. 10% damage dealt/taken is good on basically anyone, and she has amazing set of spirits for using with Shared Umbrella. She's technically a Real (she gains 40 Armour per upgrade instead of 50), but her base Armour is high enough that she can still easily Support Defend for her friends. For reference, at 10 upgrades, she's only 50 Armour behind Meiling (and at 5 they're exactly tied). She's also one of the few people lucky enough to have Shield Block, letting her reduce damage even further.

Boo! is a pretty funky MAP (you can see it in Ryza's attack video below) that does no damage, but instead debuffs enemies' attack by somewhere around 10-30% damage. It doesn't work on enemies with Special Resistance (so, almost every boss you'd care about), so I never use it or her PSes involving it, but it is a neat mechanic.

---

-Fairy Overdrive
-Kogasa's Attacks

---

If you missed it in the first part of the update, we're still voting on whose map to tackle next. I'll remind everyone again that we have to do both of these chapters - this vote only determines the order.

We can follow:
-Team Reimu, heading to Muenzuka
-Team Alice, heading to the Nameless Hill

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 21, 2017

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Let's go Reimu next.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's extremely messed up that Hatate steals my good friend Sanae's lines of accidentally cruelly bullying my other good friend Kogasa. It was a very essential aspect of characterisation imo.

Also, man the fmw games do so much for the Akis. Them immediately being threatened by her popularity and considering her a rival is a good gag. They're right to be scared though, anyone would be of someone with danmaku patterns like that. :allears:

Anyway. I don't know what Nameless Hill is so let's go hang out with Reimu in Muenzuka.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I laughed my head off at Utsuho's and Sanae's conversations. They're just so into surprises, and it's easy to see that Kogasa is just having so much fun in this battle. Let's go serious next with Reimu though.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Golden Battler posted:

Mods please probate anyone that bullies Kogasa in this certified No Bully Zone, tia.

Luckily Reimu isn't here.

(Kogasa owns, scariest youkai in Gensoukyo)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll put in a vote for doing Reimu's stage next.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Tossing in a vote for Reimu

And Kogasa owns. Amazing scary umbrella ghost. :kimchi:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
What a garbage umbrella, doesn't even block rain for you

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Kogasa's one of those units that I never think about using but somehow always worms her way into my team because of her team skill.

I also vote for Reimu, because it makes the Alice stage tougher hopefully.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Gonna vote for Reimu next, mostly because doing Alice second is fairly annoying.

Kogasa was already perfect in every way in this game, but getting to see what her dialogue is convinced me Tasofro nailed her. Fun thing to do is to slap Support Defense on her and turn her into the ultimate Sanae backpack if you don't want to give her either of the Moriyas as a backpack for whatever reason. Just a shame she didn't get Fury - that'd probably make her the all-time champion backpacker for this game.

Also Support Defense on Utsuho isn't the worst idea ever, since her barrier is actually pretty potent. But goodness does that chew through MP. Otherwise I'd probably advise slapping the Keystone on her if she keeps getting used, since otherwise she has no way around barriers (then again the Keystone has a lot of people vying for it for that reason.).

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013

Rectus posted:

Luckily Reimu isn't here.

(Kogasa owns, scariest youkai in Gensoukyo)

Well I know who I'm voting, or atleast will try to vote, into the party from now on.
Also Reimu for the next segment.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Ok so I am very concerned on a deep personal level that the toxic ideas of Battler are entering the minds of our children and soon they will be saying things like "movement is a worthless stat, i wish all my units had one move" or "sakuya is a unit who is good". And so I decided that I will be writing character analysis of all the units in the game that are fairly more indepth than Battlers summaries and will contain my 100% accurate at all time opinions. However I felt that it would be completely incomprehensible to people who didn't already completely understand all the game mechanics and so I have written this post to explain everything you can see on a character's page and some things that you can't. The actual character analyses will come at a later time.

A: HP: Reduce to zero and die

B: MP: Energy in SRW terms, this is a resource used primarily to attack. When in the air, a unit spends 1 MP per tile they move. Some units also have special abilities they can activate that cost mp. Recovers at a rate of 5 per turn.

C: Movement: The amount of tiles a unit can move per turn. The most important stat in the game. The number in parentheses is a unit's movement while they are focused.
Focused is a state that can be toggled freely before a unit moves has it's own effects interacting with the danmaku system. Namely while a unit is focused, all generic danmaku penalties (evade, defense, and movement) are completely ignored. This does not apply to special effects that being in the danmaku that most boss spellcards apply. While focused a unit will take (final damage * hit rate) damage whenever they would have dodged and full damage when they would have taken a hit and it is called a graze. Some attacks have specific requirements regarding being focused or unfocused to be usable. Finally, focused units get +10% to their chance to hit.

D: Mobility: The prime measure of a unit's ability to dodge attacks. Units with less than 100 mobility are generally never going to be able to dodge.

E: Armor: A measure of how much a unit will reduce incoming damage. A unit would need at least 1000+ armor to be considered tanky.

HP, MP, Mobility, and Armor can be upgraded between stages using money gained from shooting down enemies. This is possible 10 times per parameter and has a fixed amount per upgrade.

F: Size: Ranges from 3L-LL-L-M-S-SS, with each step a unit will do more 10% more damage but have a 10% harder time hitting a unit smaller with the reverse true when a unit attacks a larger unit.

G: Cost: Every stage has a limited amount of points to deploy units with. Units that cost more generally are better except for when they aren't. Also when the unit in the back of pair attacks, the more they cost the less of a damage penalty they will take on the attack.

H: Terrain Ranks: In order from top to bottom: Air, Land, Water, Night. These range from SS-S-A-B-C-D-E-F. These effect unit performance in the following way: SS: 1.2, S: 1.1, A: 1.0, B: 0.85, C: 0.65, D: 0.4, E: 0.2 and F: 0. Obviously having a negative terrain rank can be a huge detriment compared to having a higher rank. How night terrain works is specific stages are flagged as being during the night. Units with a B in night go down 1 rank in their other ranks and units with an S increase their ranks by 1. This game has a fair amount of night stages like 1 or 3 and unlike 2 which had zero night stages.

I: Unit Abilities: Various abilities intrinsic to a unit or granted by other means that range from barriers which reduce damage or double image which is an x% chance to evade an attack regardless of the stated hit rate. Some characters have these as a nice bonus and some have their entire identity based around them.

J: Item Slots: Range from 1-4 on units. Items range from parameter boosting to once per stage usable items that restore HP, MP, or SP and they can be very powerful.

K: Sword Defense and Shield Defense: Units with swords have a chance to parry (dodge) certain attacks regardless of their stated hitrate. The rate is 10%, +10% for every level in the blocking skill a unit has, + .6/.8/1 times the difference between your skill and the enemies skill per level of blocking. A shield gives a unit a chance to reduce an attacks damage to 40%. The rate for shield defense is similar but slightly higher than sword defense at 10% base, +10% for every level in blocking, + 1/1.2/1.4 times the difference between your skill and the enemies skills per level of blocking.

L: Level: Units gain Personal Skills and stats on leveling up.

M: Power: Power starts at 100 and goes up to various factors during a stage. Most powerful attacks, skills and abilities have a minimum power needed to be usable/activate. Power also increase damage dealt and reduces damage taken as it increases. Without bonuses the maximum power is 150.

N: Wife Level: It is very important

O: Personality: A unit's personality determines how much power a unit gets when: They hit an enemy, They miss an enemy, They defeat an enemy, They are hit by an enemy, They dodge an enemy, An ally unit is shot down, When they graze an attack, and When an enemy is shot down by an ally.

P: Pilot Points: Gained when shooting down an enemy, used to buy skills or increase stats.

Q: Kills: When a unit has 50 kills they obtain ace status. Ace units launch with 5 extra power at the start of the stage. Furthermore the unit with most kills of all your units launches with an addition 5 power.

R: XP to next level. Levels are 500 XP for every level, but XP scales based on the difference between a units level and enemies level. A really low level unit will be getting a level or a level and half per kill while a higher level unit might be getting 10 XP per kill.

S: Skills: Units start with several skills and can purchase up to 7 at a time with PP from a list shared with all units. Skills with a star next to them are unique and cannot be purchased or equipped. The final slot is for a units personal skills which are unique and powerful abilities that are unlocked on leveling up and can be changed for free during intermission menus.

T: Spirits: Spells cast before a unit moves with various effects and SP costs. A units total SP is shown below their spirits.

U: Stats: In order from left to right, Melee, Ranged, Skill, Defense, Evasion, Hit.

Melee and Range increase damage dealt with their respective attacks while Defense decreases damage taken. An extremely simplified damage formula for the game is (Weapon Power * Melee or Ranged)/200 - (Armor * Defense)/200. There are about 1000 other factors in play but that gives you an extremely rough estimate and how that a handful of stat points can have a large impact on damage.

Skill effects crit chance and the activation of some skills. Crits do 1.2 damage of a regular attack and the chance to crit is Attacker's skill - Defender's skill + Weapon's Crit Chance.

Hit and Evade do what they say on the tin. The formula is (Hit/2) + (Weapon Accuracy Modifier+150) - (Evade/2 + Mobility).

Stat gains on level up are not random such as in Fire Emblem and will be gained at a steady rate except SP which is slowed down at higher levels.

V: Unique Actions: Actions unique to a character and how many times they can be used are shown here. Some characters have them innately and some gain them from their personal skills.

W: Attack Type: Determines if an attack uses Melee or Range for it's damage calculations. The circular one is melee while the box with a + in it is ranged.

X: Attack Attributes: There are 4 attributes a weapon can have displayed after the attack name.
(P) Post movement: This attack can be used after moving.
(L) Laser: There are many barriers that can weaken laser attacks. Also generally laser attacks aren't good underwater.
(S) S: I don't know what S stands for. S attacks can be parried by a unit with sword defense and the blocking skill. Generally tend to be physical attacks or physical weapons like missiles.
(合体) Combination Attack: An attack that has multiple participants, all units involved need have the power requirement and ammo/mp to use the attack as it is drained from all units using it.

Y: Weapon Power

Z: Weapon Range

AA: Weapon Accuracy Modifier

BB: Weapon Crit Modifier

CC: Team Attack: Weapons with this mark next them will be used when the unit in the back of a partner unit. The range for these attacks are ignored but their ammo or mp cost are not.

DD: Ammo: Some weapons have a limited amount of times on a stage. A unit using resupply on another unit will restore 50% of the max ammo of an attack, rounded down except for attacks that have 1 max ammo which will be restored.

EE: MP Cost: How of a units mp a unit it costs to use an attack. An attack can cost ammo, mp, both or neither depending on attacks.

FF: Required Power required to use the attack.

GG: Weapon Terrain Rankings: Functions similarly to a units terrain rankings, only takes into account the terrain the defender of the attack is in.

HH: Special Weapon Properties: Show the other units involved in combination attack and other special properties it has such as ignore size difference and ignore barriers.

An important thing not shown on these pages are a units friends. When a unit is direct next to or paired with a unit she is friends with she gets stat bonuses and stacking these can make an mediocre unit good and a good unit great.
For the first 3 friends levels a unit gets +5% to hit and evade rates while every level after that gives +3% to hit and evade rates and +3.33% to damage dealt and -3.33% to damage taken and +3% to crit rate.
Usually these are just nice bonuses and if you try hard you might get something like 5 levels with a particularly friendly character. However some personal skills increase friendship between characters and when using them can stack to extremely high levels.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
A better manual than most SRWs.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
"S" I believe stands for "Solid". As in "Solid objects you could reasonably bat away, like missiles and people"

Incidental vote for Reimu because let's get that Shrine Madden action out of the way.

+100,000 ACC is really hilarious, though.

AmewTheFox fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 9, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Voting closed a while ago, I believe.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
After a million years it's here:

Chapter 60

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
NEW CHARACTER

Nue Houjuu
Personal Skills:
-Great Youkai of Heian: Reduces the cost of Confuse to 50 SP (normally 70).
-Dark Cloud: Above 120 Power, it is always considered to be a Night stage for her, and she gains 10% MP Regen.
-Unidentified Flying Girl: For the first 5 turns after she's deployed, or until she gets hit, she gains +30% Accuracy and Evade.
-Youkai Trio: Increases friendship levels with Murasa and Ichirin by 3. (note: Murasa and Ichirin also get this PS for free after this chapter)
Spirit List: Stealth, Alert, Focus, Adapt, Confuse, Friendship

Much like her girlfriend Murasa, Nue is a 2.5 Cost unit that you could nerf to 3.0 with no other changes and I'd still call her amazing.

It also helps that she's literally Getter Robo:

This Nue is fully upgraded, so subtract 25 Mobility and 250 Armor for a better idea of where she's at right now.

Unlike stinky old Nitori who has to change out her FA frames inbetween missions, Nue can swap between three forms on the fly. Her default (Red) form is the most "normal", as Reals go, and has the highest damage. The Blue mode has ridiculous mobility and 8(!) base movement, but is made of wet tissue paper. The Green mode turns her into a ghetto-Kanako: high armor, high range, and not a single post-movement attack to her name. They're all useful in some fashion or another, although I mostly swap between Blue/Red. Maybe you'd use Green if you wanted to partner her with Murasa as a S.Defender? That's something.

On top of that, her PSes are pretty bonkers. Dark Cloud is "here have +10% to everything, and also MP Regen because why not". Of particular note is Youkai Trio, which can potentially give some ridiculous bonuses.

The main thing holding her back would be a lack of offensive Spirits (Adapt improves her damage via terrain ranks, but not by much), but that's something you can get around later in the game. Aside from that, she is just incredibly High Spec in every regard, with some real nice utility on top of a package that already has almost no weaknesses. I haven't put much thought into tier lists, but I'd probably list Nue as one of the Top 5 characters in the game.

I'll put up her Allied Unit animations (which are quite different from her Boss animations) in a couple chapters when we can actually use her. Blame Ryza for not making that video.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm glad nobody is posting, thereby proving my theory that voting is the only way to get readers to post.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nue having three forms isn't the gimmick i'd think she'd have but it's pretty cool I suppose, neat callback to UFO. Some of her attacks aren't really what I expected either but when your whole deal is being "unidentifiable" I guess that's sorta hard to translate into attack animations.

Also, Yuyuko isn't nearly cryptic enough in these games. I know having a character who knows everything that's going in and vaguely alludes to it at every moment to annoy everybody is maybe not the best fit for this type of game but it still saddens me.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Nue's attacks are really cool but she doesn't attack you with them as a boss.

Buried Treasure
Oct 23, 2008
Glad to see another chapter. I played through the first three games recently and had a lot of fun (C'mon, Nitori isn't THAT bad. She gives Marisa friendship and can support defend! That's something!) Well, Patchouli probably does that better.

Do the three Nue forms share percentages of HP? If they do, you could try a bootleg strategy of getting beat up in green UFO form to let your prevail kick in, then swap to blue UFO to be untouchable. Theorycrafting, of course. Not sure how well it would hold up in practice.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Buried Treasure posted:

Glad to see another chapter. I played through the first three games recently and had a lot of fun (C'mon, Nitori isn't THAT bad. She gives Marisa friendship and can support defend! That's something!) Well, Patchouli probably does that better.

Do the three Nue forms share percentages of HP? If they do, you could try a bootleg strategy of getting beat up in green UFO form to let your prevail kick in, then swap to blue UFO to be untouchable. Theorycrafting, of course. Not sure how well it would hold up in practice.

Assuming Nue literally is just Getter Robo then yes, health after changing form is based on percentage of max HP so you could do that. The bit that's different here (that actually probably weakens her a bit in comparison) is that Nue is purely herself. That is to say that Getter Robos tend to have 3 pilots so you get three Spirit Command sets at all times. This actually seems to come out more considering the offensive weakness of Nue's Spirit Commands, in Super Robot Wars her spirits would be the ones put on Hayato with Ryouma getting offensive spirits and Musashi/Benkei getting healing and support spirits.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She's still practically "another Reimu" for most purposes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so the carrier isn't actually a roving home for the entire squad, as such? It seems like only a few people actually have quarters on it. I guess if you live in Gensokyo you get used to having to sleep rough now and again.