Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I actually would really love to see a thread that's basically 'talk about games that you're playing that barely anyone knows about' where everyone can share in the bioenchanted experience

ShootaBoy posted:

I would read the poo poo out of that thread.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I'll give one now: Phantom 2040 for SNES.

I've never seen anyone really talk about this game which is a shame because it's loving rad. So it's the future in New York I think and it's basically ruled by the Maximal Company who are real environmental destroying bastards, and you play as The Phantom in the future to stop them and their huge armies of robots. As well as mutants and I think cyborg people who want to live in space. I think this all gets explained in the cartoon but I never watched it so idk.

The levels are based on various areas of the city selected from a map but each section is interlinked. Say you drop into the sewers from the metro station, you can emerge in the biotech factory and open a new path or an upgrade for later on. To help you explore one of the weapons you have is just a grapple, so levels are wide and open for you. You also get setpiece levels, so for example one level is you chasing a poacher who stole a panther through heavy hovercraft traffic which is so good.

The combat is pretty basic. You get a whole bunch of weapons and it's very dependant on your movement abilities. A lot of enemies can only shoot forward so if you stick to the ceilings and flying kick people generally you're safe. One of my favourite things was the uppercut, if you get close enough you grab them by the back of the neck and hold them out like a shield, then toss them into the enemies when you're done.

The story, I can't remember much about but I do remember it has a bit of a choice system included. A quite subtle one at times too. First level is an attack on a university, and you arrive and see a hovercraft escaping to the right. I played this game for years chasing after it, I never realised you can go left into the university and save the professor who was attacked. This opens a new path in the next level. Blew my mind. Theres also not so subtle ones, like with the panther you save from the poacher. You can either give it to your mentor who watches over your lair, or trade it to a black market dealer for... Something? I never chose that option. I wanted to keep it in my lair all the time. If I remember it also unlocks as a weapon if you keep it.

The music is loving super. Lots of industrial sounding tunes and pretty creepy ambiance for when you get to an area where nothings happening yet.

God I loved that game, sorry for rambling

I've been meaning to play that game for ages; I love Peter Chung's aesthetic, and that game has always felt like an extra helping of Super Metroid that I just never got around to digging into.

One of my all-time favorite games is Gain Ground, and an interesting thing about it, to me, anyway, is that every single one of its ports is actually pretty drat good - at least of the ones I've played. I'm working my way through Gain Ground SX for the PC Engine CD at the moment, and the music and presentation is just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I remember, back in 1998 or 1999, when my parents got an iMac, one of the MacPower demos (or some other Mac-focused gaming catalog) came with a demo for a game called Dark Vengeance. It's a fantasy action game that I spent the better part of my teenage years attempting to find a full-version of so I could play through it and see if it was as fun/good as I remembered. Luckily, Youtube has me covered and boy is it not great looking. I'll always be nostalgic for it though.

Gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVXYACAbcM

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
KickMaster is a top tier NES action side scroller that nobody gives a poo poo about but me. It's basically if you took Castlevania, made it way faster and replaced the whip with sick kicks, and you can jump 30 feet in the air, which makes it not like Castlevania at all except that it's vaguely medieval and you kick skeletons. The main character gradually gains more kick techniques as you level up, going from a basic short range kick to being able to fly across the screen, combo attack and turn into a whirling death machine with magic spells to augment your power. Its only downfalls are that it's pretty short and the sound effects could be better (there's at least one boss that shrieks at you constantly in a very high pitched 8-bit tone.) Music is good, graphics and sprite animations are great, gameplay rules. It's by the same studio that did the GI Joe games and Low-G Man (KID, I think.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ihf-9FrRyU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

At some point in my early childhood my dad picked up a copy of Future Classics so us kids would have something to play on the family Tandy. Had a Tetris clone, a find your way out of the maze game, some kind of puzzle/strategy thing involving collecting floppy discs and using them like keys to win levels, something like Pac-Man but avoiding junk food, and a tank combat game. It was shovelware before I knew what such a thing was but I enjoyed playing it, especially the maze game. It was unmapped, though the map would persist in explored areas on easier difficulties. Keys opened doors, you could pick up powerups, and there was a clock to beat.

I also remember playing Heretic with my dad and "helping" him solve the puzzles. :unsmith:

Hexen 2 was the first computer game I played entirely on my own. There are four major areas of the game (the fifth is just the first revisited) and each has a theme (Medieval Europe, Mezo-American, Ancient Egypt, and Ancient Rome) and the boss fight for each area was one of the Four Horsemen. The game had a fair number of puzzles that were right royal bastards due to collision detection and a couple of cases where using an item in not-quite-exactly the right spot would make the game unwinnable. I don't think my dad ever finished it, but I did (after finding a FAQ). I thought the Mayan-ish area had stellar level design for the time. There was a central area with a pillar and only one direction open for travel, one of four tests to complete based on the four elements. Pass the test, collect the prize, insert the prize into the pillar as a key, and the pillar would shift, unlocking the next area (and a fuckton of enemies). Once all four tests were completed, the pillar would shift one more time and the central area became the boss arena. Looking back on it over 20 years later, it wasn't that groundbreaking a concept, but little me thought it was awesome.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Every 3 years or so I replay The Fool's Errand, an old puzzle game I had for my Amiga 500 as a kid. 3 years is long enough to forget the answer to most of the puzzles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0UC9BO9wWY
Everything is Tarot card themed. Each puzzle you solve unlocks a bit of text, which ends up being about a 200 page novel, that you then have to read (or at least comb thoroughly for clues) as to the answers in the 2nd part of the game, AFTER you've put together a 12x12 puzzle of squares with no meaningful hints as to how they all fit together. It's great and I wish there was an updated version because every 3 years DOSbox seems to get more and more archaic and incomprehensible to me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I played a lot of Kendo Rage for the SNES as a kid, a pretty mediocre platformer/beat-em-up. I mostly remember it because it was one of the few games in the US at the time to use an anime art style, and it had well-animated bosses.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qRCzIj9QEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBiZjo186Q

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Quad posted:

Every 3 years or so I replay The Fool's Errand, an old puzzle game I had for my Amiga 500 as a kid. 3 years is long enough to forget the answer to most of the puzzles.
Everything is Tarot card themed. Each puzzle you solve unlocks a bit of text, which ends up being about a 200 page novel, that you then have to read (or at least comb thoroughly for clues) as to the answers in the 2nd part of the game, AFTER you've put together a 12x12 puzzle of squares with no meaningful hints as to how they all fit together. It's great and I wish there was an updated version because every 3 years DOSbox seems to get more and more archaic and incomprehensible to me.

Oh, man, every so often, I think "I really should sit down and attempt The Fool's Errand again; I'm probably finally smart and patient enough for it."

If I do follow through with that urge, I find out that no, I'm actually not. But I appreciate that that game exists. It's super neat.

Speaking of DOSBox, I think the last thing I fired up through that was New World Computing's Nuclear War (1989), which I lost many hours to as a kid completely anxious about nuclear war. It's a weird and goofy turn-based strategy game; you choose four opponents and they behave more or less how you'd expect them to (broadly):

It's good, looks great (I always got really jazzed if one of my cities got big enough to get a dome over it), and plays surprisingly quick for a game of its depth. The in-game humor is about what you'd expect from 198 -: random events include 16-ton weights and catapult-flung cows crushing cities - but the manual was pretty witty, presented as a glossy lifestyle magazine for nuclear-armed world leaders.

The win screen invites you to enter your name over a picture of a polluted, blasted landscape.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I used to have a Mac as my first computer, I liked it but the games were thin on the ground.
Anyways I had this odd little thing that I never see anyone talk about ever:

Galapagos: Mendel's Escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLiZsijShbY

You had to move the environment or camera and the little crab spider whatever the gently caress it was just slowly walked along a set sort of path.
The idea was a bit like Lemmings in that the creature was dumb and the environment was the puzzle.
I remember it being interesting but not really good as such. It was also really hard

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Back when my family got it's first 386 computer I somehow acquired a demo of Corncob 3D. I think the story was you were a crop duster and you needed to use your plane to fight off an alien invasion. It was the strangest game and one of the few I remember having a "boss screen". Basically if you were playing you could press F12 at any time and it would bring up this generic spreadsheet looking screen. It didn't dawn at me as a kid that it was meant to be used if your boss came in your office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz3ifgF43dA

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure how obscure this is, but Death Wish III for the ZX Spectrum. Flipscreen shooter where you clean up the town by killing every criminal you encounter with a range of weapons. Pistol and shotgun were basic guns that killed the baddies, the bazooka blew them into a pile of ash, the machinegun allowed you to keep blowing chunks out of a baddie as he was blasted across the screen. No ending to the game, you could clear out all the gang bosses to pacify the town, but they'd eventually respawn. Best part was it was the first game I ever played where good guy NPCs could be killed with consequences other than losing points: killing too many little old ladies and police officers causes the police to come after you in force and shoot you to death. I played this so drat much, even after getting a Mega Drive one year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT7PwlPcfXA

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So here's Kendo Rage on the off-chance that anyone else ever played it. I guess it's more like a weird anime Contra than anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trebek posted:

It was the strangest game and one of the few I remember having a "boss screen". Basically if you were playing you could press F12 at any time and it would bring up this generic spreadsheet looking screen. It didn't dawn at me as a kid that it was meant to be used if your boss came in your office.

I think it was Leisure Suit Larry that had that only it also sent you back to the start of the game as a sort of joke/punishment. Which was really confusing to me because, like you, I also didn't understand the supposed purpose of the feature.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On the Commodore 64 version of the Oregon Trail game that I had, there were two other games - Voyageur and Furs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GfM_UV6A_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Fjo0QYrvg

This is Lemonade, an incredibly basic game about supply, demand and the wet bulb. The computer is a bit of a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug19DaoaPB0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There's a cheap indie action sidescroller on Steam called Mayhem Triple that I don't even know how I got but when I installed and played it on a lark it totally knocked my socks off. The controls are great and the shootdodging also lends itself to some solid platforming, the levels are full of clever secrets that let you get new weapons early, there are some pretty clever puzzlebosses, and while death can strike quickly and easily it's very forgiving with checkpoints so you almost always start right where you died. Also the game has a time loop gimmick so when I beat it I more or less immediately played through it again twice more just to unlock everything and get the true ending. And the humor is pretty solid despite at first looking like Newgrounds meme poo poo with a plot about killer bunnies in space and a bunch of wacky random violence and death at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAi37UFhI4s

Also I'm pretty sure it was made by goons since the Zybourne Clock shows up at the end.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Heath posted:

KickMaster is a top tier NES action side scroller that nobody gives a poo poo about but me. It's basically if you took Castlevania, made it way faster and replaced the whip with sick kicks, and you can jump 30 feet in the air, which makes it not like Castlevania at all except that it's vaguely medieval and you kick skeletons. The main character gradually gains more kick techniques as you level up, going from a basic short range kick to being able to fly across the screen, combo attack and turn into a whirling death machine with magic spells to augment your power. Its only downfalls are that it's pretty short and the sound effects could be better (there's at least one boss that shrieks at you constantly in a very high pitched 8-bit tone.) Music is good, graphics and sprite animations are great, gameplay rules. It's by the same studio that did the GI Joe games and Low-G Man (KID, I think.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ihf-9FrRyU

This came up on bad games podcast Abject Suffering because of it's weird name and they really liked it in the end. It's definitely far less known than it should be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That style of gameplay, side-scrolling action platformer with the keyboard to move around and the mouse to aim, is reminding me of an old game that I can't remember the name of. It was exactly like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That style of gameplay, side-scrolling action platformer with the keyboard to move around and the mouse to aim, is reminding me of an old game that I can't remember the name of. It was exactly like that.

Abuse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That's the one!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That feel when you don't see any enemies anywhere but then the whole loving ceiling erupts into aliens and bad things materialize in your trousers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is Lemonade, an incredibly basic game about supply, demand and the wet bulb. The computer is a bit of a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug19DaoaPB0

I played this on the Apple at school, and you can, too, on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Lemonade_Stand_1979_Apple

I had no idea this game was developed in 1973, or that the Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium (MECC, who made a lot of excellent candidates for this thread) was even around at that time. Neat!

One game I loved, even though it really wasn't much of a game, is absolutely lost to the mists of history, because I literally typed it into the Apple out of a library book whose title I will never, ever remember. It was a basic stock market simulator: you started out with a certain amount of money, dumped it into stocks, and bought and sold in turns. I don't think it had an end or a win condition. I thought I was extremely clever for changing the names of the companies in the original program to be funny references to my friends and teachers. :v:

That reminds me of Wall Street Kid, which is old but probably not terribly obscure since the internet has done a thorough job of making fun of it. It certainly isn't a good game, but I'm sort of delighted that it actually got made and published and sold in stores. Who on earth was the target audience? I've always had a mind to beat it, one day, through save-state abuse, but :effort:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tracked down and installed an old math game I played in Secondary School called Chefren's Pyramid. The first few rooms were fairly simple but then I arrived at the reason I never got very far - Every now and then the screen goes totally black except for a flickering candle in a hallway, and you hear footsteps or something. I still cannot figure out what the gently caress the game wants me to do.

Also: Dat Title :3:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Surprised I was even able to find reference to this, but when I was a kid I had some kind of early Mac laptop that had a game called Despair. There's not much to the game, it's really just a bunch of stick people walking around on black lines, but it has a bunch of godlike powers like in the early Sim City games. I don't remember what all the ones in the screenshot on that site did, but vortex specifically would swirl everything on screen into it and was the most destructive. Kind of want to get a mac emulator now to play it again.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I tracked down and installed an old math game I played in Secondary School called Chefren's Pyramid. The first few rooms were fairly simple but then I arrived at the reason I never got very far - Every now and then the screen goes totally black except for a flickering candle in a hallway, and you hear footsteps or something. I still cannot figure out what the gently caress the game wants me to do.

It's sort of weird to me that the Math Blaster games became this huge franchise (branching out from math and blasting other subjects), because when I was a little kid on those school Apples, Math Blaster was just a game in which you positioned a stick figure over a cannon that had the correct answer to a math problem, and if you were right, you were treated to a little human cannonball thing. There was a pretty long time on the internet where it seemed like no one remembered that version, or at least had mentioned it.

Early infotainment is so weird and rare: it was pretty expensive, and it wasn't likely to end up in the hands of people who wanted to pirate/preserve it (those are basically the same things as far as old software is concerned). And there were a lot of companies cranking it out in small print runs.

BioEnchanted posted:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something really cute that I'd forgotten about with Monster's Inc: Scare Island on the PS2 is the art on the inside sleeve - the outer sleeve has the generic publicity still image of Mike and Sully from posters and stuff, but the inner case is all early concept art. That's pretty cool and novel. The game itself is simple and short, but kind of fun in an easy, chill kind of way.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Gooch Grundy's X Decathlon (1997) was rad. It was a linked series of mini game type games where you had to
-throw a computer over toxic waste
-push a hippo in a race where you can punch each other
-navigate a maze while fighting giant heads
etc.
it had insane commentary and video interviews with the characters played by actors who got really into their roles. it was mad. a lot of the fun came from emergent gameplay like how the hippo race could just really be a brawl and you forget about the hippos. i had so much fun playing this game with my friends over the same keyboard. it got bad reviews on HotU etc. so i don't think it was ever a 'thing' on the internet but you could enjoy it as one might enjoy a terrible film.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Quad posted:

Cliff Johnson's made a sequel called "The Fool and His Money". I bought a copy while in development, and my husband made fun of me for all two and a half years it took to come out. Also, if you haven't played 3 in Three, get a copy this instant.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I played Ninja Crusaders so loving much that I was a little surprised to see the longplay was only 12 minutes long, and it's not even really a speedrun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGbVUiVzpPE

It's also, at best, an extremely okay game, but man did I love/hate it when I was a kid. Different weapons let you change into different animals, each with their own ways of moving and attacking. It was extremely rough around the edges, but the core of it was a pretty decent platformer with some cool mechanical ideas. Boy are those bosses super lame in hindsight though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I mentioned it already, but I figured I'd scan it in and post it as it is quite charming. Behold: The Box Art for Monsters Inc, Scare Island on the PS2:
Outside Front/Back/Spine:

Inside cover/Behind Jewel Case:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That owns

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This thread is extremely my jam. It also captures my frustration with Nintendo's half-assed approach to their Virtual Console offerings. Goddammit, I do not need to replay Super Mario World for the 8th loving time. Give me the obscure poo poo I only had an opportunity to rent once from Blockbuster like 20 years ago. Like Metal Warriors! It was side-scrolling shooter, but you could also hop out of the robot you were piloting and take over an enemy unit. The different models all had radically different playstyles too. However, the best part was a 2-player competitive mode where you and a friend could pick your mech of choice and try to blast the poo poo out of each other.

It was great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijaDqaPtNTs

Armada was an old Dreamcast game that was a top-down twin stick co-op space shooter rpg with trade systems. You could play as a number of different races and ships which did their own things and as you leveled up varied apart; the one barge-like ship had different weapons from the smaller fighter, for example. You could also descend to planets to fight aliens there and you were expected to write their coordinates down, in case you failed and exploded.

Some Koreans bought the license and tried and failed to make a mmo out of it a few years ago. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZX5lPaw-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYHXqis8Pf0

Tech Romancer was a Dreamcast fighting game featuring all your favorite ripoffs of giant robot animes, including one that's just Gundam, one who's just Macross, one who's not Evangelion, one who's just the Mad Cat another Macross I guess, and more! You blew up the environment for powerups, including unique ones for every robot. Not Evangelion got the combat knife and the lance of longinus, for example. Attacks could tear armor off each other (and after a point it showed cosmetically), and if you took/dealt enough damage saved up for a final attack that could instant kill if you didn't gently caress it up. Not Gundam's Final Attack just has it pull its head and arm back to re-enact the one pose of Gundam with half its body exploded. The Not Mad Cat does an alpha strike. :v: If you had a VMU you could play a billion lovely minigames to unlock one of the characters from Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Jin (who was in the game this is actually a sequel to, Cyberbots). Every robot had its own story mode that presented itself as a separately designed show; some robots with multiple pilots would have multiple stories!

The game balance was completely hosed though. The Not Macross could fly and since almost every attack was range and position based, you could just slightly adjust yourself so you could never be hit.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Aug 19, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just picked up a Knight Rider game for my PS2 for £2. Wasn't expecting much when I bought it, but when you get the hang of each level it's actually really loving fun, even if it is very difficult at times. The main problem is that the tutorial is Way too technical, it asks you to use the mechanics in ways that the first few levels are like "Dude, tutorial, calm down." The mechanics themselves are really good though - L2 and R2 make Kitt go into "Ski Mode", which means it rides on either it's left wheels or it right wheels, with the other side suspended in the air, which is hard to control for extended periods of time (the tutorial wants you to loving tightrope with it, then squeeze through a super tight gap that Kitt can only barely fit through when he's mostly vertical, the levels so far I've just been using it to avoid other cars) and there is also the Turbo Boost, which is a jump of static height, (about twice Kitt's height) with length varying based on your speed. Both are fun to use both practically and evasively, and there have been enough bystander cars to get the hang of making practical use of them.

The main problem with the game itself is you really need to learn the levels, for example in the second level, you first of all have a fairly chill drive to a nearby bank, then after scanning the camera you find it's data is in the middle of being transferred and erased so you need to quickly get to the signal and override it - the issue is that I found it hard to work out how to get into the area where you can scan it and kept running out of time looking for open gates, because I was thinking like a racing game - I should have been thinking like a platformer. I used the turbo boost to jump onto some shipping crates, from them onto the roof of one of the surrounding buildings, then into the area, which turned out to be an arena, and I had a good old-fashioned Demolition Derby with an opposing car!

Holy poo poo this game is way more fun for £2 than I expected! The mechanics are satisfying to make use of and the controls are surprisingly tight, although do not land a jump while making a turn, Kitt will skid.

I'm currently stuck on a very tricky mission chasing down the car that was hacking the camera in the first place, but I found some strats that I just need to get consistent - the jump makes you go really fast while Kitt is jumping so if used well it can help me catch up with him on straightaways as long as I don't miscalculate and accidentally jump into a corner or bystander-car. On one run I landed directly in front of him, and rear-ending me lost him 45% of his health immediately so I'm going to keep trying at some point later on because while hard, this feels doable. And the time limit to destroy him is 1:30 so it's not much wasted time if I fail.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

Something really cute that I'd forgotten about with Monster's Inc: Scare Island on the PS2 is the art on the inside sleeve - the outer sleeve has the generic publicity still image of Mike and Sully from posters and stuff, but the inner case is all early concept art. That's pretty cool and novel. The game itself is simple and short, but kind of fun in an easy, chill kind of way.

I wish more games did this, Resistance 3 of all things had a pretty rad interior cover that got rid of all the retail-required ratings and system info and updated the design with a more clear and bold Olly Moss-style look.

Since digital is pretty much the norm and physical media is more for collectors than anything else it would be cool if they leaned into that a little more instead of trying to push geegaws and tshirts, especially when so much of it is bought online now where shelf space doesn't matter as much. Movie studios like Disney have even recently tried experimenting with releasing Laserdisc-style sleeves for their Blu-Ray releases with covers and artwork, I would love for some games to try that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I beat the first really difficult level in Knight Rider, chasing the camera data thief before he can destroy all the evidence.

There was a very chill segment afterwards where I could amble across the level map until I found where he was running to to find out what was going on in the plot, then another time limit kicked in, a really tight one to get back to the Semi (The Hauler truck that Kitt uses to deploy/debrief on missions). That was really good level design, because the really hard part came first and got me all pumped up with how much better I did each time, or even if I did worse I still felt it was my own fault so I didn't feel frustrated with the game at all. Then the middle bit allowed me to bast in the afterglow of beating the first segment while exploring the road ahead, followed by the final objective cropping up, and being really tight without being unreasonable so getting to the Semi was it's own little victory. Feels good playing this game. :)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
When I was a wee lad, I brought in the PSX SRPG "Brigandine" to "Game Trader", a store in the mall that had FF7 (the original, not the Greatest Hits re-release which I guess inflates the price) under the glass for $80 or whatever. They used a computer to look up how many pennies you got for a game that you traded in, and the computer couldn't find it.

As a game it was cool. You picked a country and assumed the role of it's leader - there was cool viking guys, despots dressed like clowns, chivalrous knight guy. Then you made monsters and trained soldiers and would play pretty standard SRPG maps. Whenever a unit attacked another, you got a loading screen, a 3 second first generation 3d polygon model of the attack, then it cut back to the map. The graphics otherwise all wouldn't look out of place in an SNES game.
Video here

For another SRPG, there was Vandal Hearts. I fondly remember this game. At the Toys R' Us that I went to to buy games, the game aisle only had paper printouts of the front cover art - not even the back of the box - and you would take this paper to the counter to purchase the game. You had to judge a game by it's cover. Here was the badass cover:

The music on the title screen/intro immediately grabbed me. video here
The storyline was interesting to me because it was chiefly about politics. You played a soldier in an army of shitheads who eventually defects and makes a rebellion. Pretty standard stuff, but the way it was presented in game was satisfying. It had grimdark elements and a really oppressive feel in the game. All anyone remembers is that when you would kill a character, an enormous geyser of blood flew into the sky. Look at the 8:07 mark at this random LP: here . The sound effects were visceral, and it felt pretty drat good to finish an enemy like this. It also made the cutscenes where they show the bloodshed of the Empire pretty graphic. See about 8:48 here. It was linear, the story was compact, and it was a good ride. A sequel was made but the magic was gone, replaced with an obnoxious system where the enemy would move at the same time you did - any SRPG fan can see why this would be problematic and annoying. Still, I finished this game probably x10 when I was a kid.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

When I grew up my family had a 486 with a pirated version of Cheops Pyramid , the version with more advanced math. Current versions of both games are still available though they lack the charm of the DOS version.

Hel has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Aug 19, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hel posted:

When I grew up my family had a 486 with a pirated version of Cheops Pyramid , the version with more advanced math. Current versions of both games are still available though they lack the charm of the DOS version.

I the adventure in the wonderful world of mathematics but I'm also the weird moon.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

FactsAreUseless posted:

So here's Kendo Rage on the off-chance that anyone else ever played it. I guess it's more like a weird anime Contra than anything.

I had completely forgotten about this game until now! I read a review of it - it must have been in Nintendo Power, I think - and went out and found a rental copy, but then the next weekend they'd gotten rid of it because the next renter had gotten frustrated and smashed it.

KickMaster reminded me a lot of Low G Man, and it turns out they were both developed by KID at about the same time. I wonder how much development crossover there was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_hKir7nRg

I made a video of the Knight Rider game, just to show off a level that I liked a lot. While it seems slow, the level before and after this are both strictly timed so this level isn't so much slow as it is a little breather while plot and stunts happen.

Notes:
At one point the car lands upside down and respawns - that is the function of the "Select" button. Pressing Select will respawn you nearby if you screw up in such a way you cannot recover.
On the way back from the penultimate scan point I try to take the same route backwards but fall - that is a good route forwards, but going backwards requires extra precision that I just don't have, so I happily take the easier route back.
The main reason I chose this level was because it shows off basically all the mechanics in a short summary of most of the game. It's a good vertical slice.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Aug 19, 2017