Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, remember Stronghold?

No, not that one, but this one!

8 years before Firefly Studio's franchise, SSI (known for their many D&D-based games) made an empire builder where you get to make your own D&D kingdom! I loved playing this game as a kid, though being the wuss that I am I always played on easy or customized with only the weak monsters who tended to stay near their lairs. That though meant I never faced off against the toughest enemy, Mindark The Evil (ha haha, ha haha haha!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

What do you get if you cross Bomberman with Contra? One of the PS1's best hidden gems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jmLvxrCfp0

Yeah, this game rocked, too bad apparently many copies were glitched so the game froze after the elevator boss. :/ I once managed to get past that freeze somehow, but then got stuck on the final boss. Still, really cool game, one of those few great surprises from that time before I could just read reviews online to gauge if I'll like a game or not (another surprise gem I got because I just "had" to get a game from a store we were in was Front Mission 3).

e: oh, and if anyone's into strange PSX 1vs1 arena brawlers where every character fights completely differently and with a turn-based strategy campaign mode, give Unholy War a try!

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Jan 6, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

It's fairly obscure but I very much enjoyed the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games for the lesser known Sega Genesis console of the early nineties

For a moment reading up on these games I thought they sounded very familiar (blue hero fighting a mad scientist and his robot army, has a red rival that becomes an ally, fights an "ultimate" black version of himself) and figured maybe I had a chance to play them a bit as a kid. Turns out I was recalling the altogether different obscure series Mega Man.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

I recall a weird old PC game called SubCulture, where you played as a tiny guy with a tiny submarine and you went around harvesting (comparatively huge) pennies and bottle caps and cigarettes for money. You were raising cash because some human tossed a soup can off a boat and it crushed your house. Then you get caught up in a three way faction war.

Oh dang, I remember this one, it was really cool at the time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember hearing about Reunion from some game mag and really wanting to buy it but it never showed up in the stores I'd go to. I'm kind of glad to be honest because reading on it later once I had internet it didn't seem that great.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's what drew me to it at the time, but bad things can also be unlike anything else at the time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of a game I think I remember where you had a squad of vehicles that you had to bolt lego-style parts on to give them different abilities to complete objectives in a mission. I never played it, only seen ads and such, so it may not work as I recall or even actually exist.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had DQM (or maybe the 2nd game), but personally I didn't find it that engaging. My main problem was not being able to see my monsters in combat. It's a tiny thing, but it really bothered me for whatever reason.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it must have been Tanktics! I remember the cover image with the sheep!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember a couple bad strategy games. There was Conquest Earth, which at least tried something new where you could either play the humans or the alien invaders, they worked differently and there was this weird fog of war mechanic where each side had to generate their own air to see/breathe in.

Then there was L.E.D. Wars, which was so bad the first level refused to end after I completed all the objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pocket Billiards posted:

There is a game that's remarkable similar to this that I played on the Amstrad CPC. I've never been able to find out what it was.

Image reminded me of H.E.R.O. so maybe that's also what you're looking for?