Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Humble Request

Problem: I, like probably every other IT professional and other disciplines, get emails from offshore recruiters that don't read what I do and offer crappy positions. I never want a 3-month helpdesk contract in Boise. I own a house in New Jersey. This is all in Gmail.

Description and requirements: I want to have some kind of one-click solution to take the domain name they're sending from and instantly create a filter which will then mark all future emails from that domain get marked as read and then deleted. I'd rather not report them as spam because I worry the filter will block legit recruiters. It needs to be easier than the current manual steps: select "filter messages like this," change From to "*@shittyrecruiters.com", clicking "Create Filter," then selecting "Mark as read" and "Delete it" then clicking "Create filter." If it helps, I'll screen-record an example.

Nice to have features: Make it a single button that's clickable as a Chrome extension. I leave it to the request filler as to how this will work. Another good feature: your Paypal or Venmo address to receive $20 from me for doing this. I'd also like to be able to share it with other professionals; whoever creates this would be a hero to many people.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

I won't be the one to make a solution to it, but I imagine anyone else doing it will want to ask:
Which mail service or client?

Gmail, my bad

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Humble Request
Problem: I'd like to be able to search Ebay for sellers that carry one or more items on a list. That way it's possible to buy with combined shipping.
Description and requirements: Call it up to four text boxes that one can use to specify search terms, which the app then searches for, parses the results, and returns a "here's the top two sellers" or however many sellers is feasible for the app to display.
Nice to have features: Easy for a non-webdev to deploy and use.

If this falls outside Tiny App, let me know and I'll pursue other avenues.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Haha I've had this on my mind every time I bought something on eBay. Never got to actually do it, but if eBay has a search Ali it shouldnt be too difficult. No promises though, I'm pretty busy this week :(

Just wanted to poke it up in case this week improved for you.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Humble Request
Problem: I don't know the quickest way to shift from one guitar chord fingering to another.
Description and requirements: There's a JSON DB of guitar chords at https://github.com/tombatossals/chords-db. I'd like to be able to select a chord and fingering, and then select a destination chord. The app should then query the DB and tell me the closest-proximity fingering.
Nice to have features: Specify minimal travel between strings (e.g. keep finger 1 on string 3 if possible), specify minimal travel up or down the neck (e.g. only show chords between frets 1 and 5), actually playing the chord if tapped

Windows or Android, or just regular old web app. I honestly don't know if this is more than tiny, so please do correct me if so.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 3, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Distance and variance are actually pretty good terms for the two separate functions.

Distance = how far from the fret we need to travel. e.g. going from fret 1 to fret 2 is quicker than going from fret 1 to fret 3.

Variance = how many string changes are required. e.g. going from string 1 to string 2 counts as one instance of variance.

For now, the distance method seems to be the most realistic for my needs. If there's some way to incorporate both the distance and variance as above, that's even better.

One other ask: is it possible to specify a maximum range of frets? Going from 1 to 4 is quite a stretch for a newbie, 1 to 3 is a little more realistic. Maybe include the range as a ranking, e.g. the shorter distance of frets the easier it is, thus prioritize shorter ranges over longer.

Other than that, this is huge and good and I'm going to see about futzing more with it. A big wish for future refinement: a GUI with dropdowns for the chord types. Major and minor are great starts but sus7delta4whateverthatroundcircleis is gonna get weird fast.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's good stuff, thanks so much!

Would you want to do more work on it if further questions/feature requests come up? I don't want to abuse the thread and turn a tiny app into a big thing, especially for the price of free.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Humble Request
Problem: If I want to buy multiple Ebay items from one seller, I have to search individual sellers' items for sale, then repeat until I find one. I'd really like to be able to search for two or more individual terms (e.g. one search box for "Canon lens cap" and another for "Canon battery") and have it give me a list of sellers who have all the search terms on hand, and if possible, provide prices before shipping.

Description and requirements: Problem says it all, really. I try to put my Ebay purchases together wherever possible to bundle and save on shipping. I'd really like to just be able to search for multiple individual terms, then have it parse the list and go through all the sellers, searching for the other terms to see if they have all the items. Preferably in a browser but a Windows executable is fine too. Optimally it'd list all sellers, or maybe just export to text or CSV.

Nice to have features: Organize by lowest price including bundled shipping (I don't know how this would even get accomplished) would be great, but organize by lowest price before shipping is fine too. Also good to have, an option to SSO into Ebay and add the items to a cart, but that's not necessary - the real breakthrough would be getting the basic "give me all these items from one seller" down pat.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd like an app (or a recommendation for a Chrome extension) that does a better job at autocomplete. I do a bunch of market research for beer money. Most agencies stick to a form-collection format or application that collects a bunch of demographics. https://www.tfaforms.com/5070976 is one such example.

I'd like to have the app either be something I switch on to see what I input, remember it, and then either auto-fill a future iteration of it (the URL will always be different) or allow me to use a key combo that I specify to do the auto-fill.

I'll need to edit fields like age every now and then, so the ability to edit content is good to have, or at least to have it forget the content and observe what I fill in with for future fills.

Other forms have different looks and feels, so if it can be applied across different layouts, that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tiny Android app request: an app with a button that plays the first 10ish seconds of "The End" by the Doors once the melancholy guitar part at the start begins, and displays an adequately angsty scene of the developers choice from Apocalypse Now.

I will use this button in moments when i feel old and lost in the morass of modern world, which happens often enough that I'm tired of just searching up the song and playing those first few notes. So yeah, if you want to make an Android app that's basically a Vietnam flashback button, I would be much obliged.

Edit: bonus points if you can add in the sound of a Huey coming in and passing overhead.

MJP fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 28, 2023