Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Nvm found a guy on freelancer.com

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I used to have this Tampermonkey userscript that lets me highlight multiple words in different colors on a webpage. It was written for Opera 10 probably 15 years ago but I switched to Chrome years ago and put the script in Tampermonkey and it just sort of worked (well enough) until recently. I guess some recent update in Chrome broke it and I'm seeing if someone can fix it/clean it up. I don't know poo poo about programming or javascript so I have no idea how easy/difficult this is.

Basically, by pressing the tilde key (shift + ~) it brings a bar up at the top of the page where I can enter in terms for highlighting.

https://textbin.net/nw1etzvvul

I'd be glad to paypal some $ for this!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Chunjee posted:

quick google search lead me to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7251-enhanced-word-highlight

You can highlight a word and press (Alt + /) or just press that and start typing a space separated list of words to highlight.

Edit:
I verified you can change the binding to (shift + ~) If you modify line 208 to
code:
var KEY_SEARCH = '~';
But this is more accurately (shift + `) on my keyboard.

Thanks for taking a look.

I've tried pretty much every other script I could find (including the Enhanced Word Highlight and Text Highlight and Seek on greasyfork) and they either mess up the javascript on the page or crash the browser (Error code: RESULT_CODE_HUNG) on a website I have to use for research.

Many of the highlighting scripts also don't catch multiple word terms if there's a html tag between them. If I want to highlight the term "green block" and the html is <span>green</span> block, then neither script above catches these. Basically I'm hoping it's not a big endeavor to make some modifications to the original script and keep using it

edit: Also, the key to activate the script doesn't matter to me, whether it's ~ or Alt+/
Can paypal $100 just because it makes my life a little easier at work