Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm looking for a script that I can paste into and trigger periodically from the task scheduler on my Synology disk station. It would collect local ip addresses and associated mac adresses from the local network it's on (including its own). This might be called the neighborhood? It would compare these pairings with previously collected ones. Any time a new pairing is found (either a new mac or an existing mac gets a new ip), I get notified of a summary of them through mail. A pairing is only discarded when a new ip is found for an existing mac, not eg. when the mac isn't found again when the script runs. Bonus points if it can have an optional config file where I can add human readable aliases for known mac adresses that then get used in the notifications.

I have some windows autoit scripting experience, but nothing linux flavor wise.

The Diskstation is on dsm 7.1.1 if that matters. A folder where scripts can put their files without needing a full path is configured. You can just echo stuff and exit with code 1 to trigger the mail when necessary.

All I have on offer for this is my profound gratitude.

Why not just enable mac filtering on the router? You explicitly authorize all clients(barring mac spoofing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Because I'm not interested in denying anything access to the network. The proper solution for my problem is actually dhcp reservations, which this isp provided router doesn't allow me to do. I also do not want to assign static ips to anything for probably no good actual reason. Everything actually works fine that way apart from one of two times a year the isp does some maintenance thing and upsets the order. I just want a notice that this has happened, instead of being baffled by the number of things suddenly not working, as well as the new addresses I need to use.

Can you disable DHCP on the router? What is it, who’s the isp?