Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
North... to Alaska!!!!

Or, er, I mean the monastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 18 posted:

You walk for days, sometimes resting in the huts of friendly farmers but more often sleeping rough. You are used to hard work, but you drive yourself to spend every waking hour on the march. Add 2 points to your Permanent STAMINA. Eventually you are climbing through vine-covered hills to overlook the city of Traole, provincial capital of this region.

If you enter the city, turn to 377.
If you continue past it, towards the mountains which loom on the horizon, note down the word 'offers' on your Adventure Sheet and turn to 81.

: You've already been there.

: Yeah, but it could be different this time!

: True, you've got that very fine hat.

: Hey, this farmer is coming UP in the world!

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Reborn Triskadecagenarian
13 Years Old

Skill: 6
Stamina: 11/11
Luck: 9
Ferocity: 7 (when age increases, lose 2 Ferocity)

Inventory:
Provisions x2 (restore 4 STAMINA per use)
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
30 coins on a string
10 coins not on a string
1 string not through any coins

Keywords: When, King

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around
Failures: Merchanting
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bypass

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I can't remember if the hat came up as a plot point or not during our earlier visit here. I'm also eager to get to the "open your drat door, sensei!" montage followed by the training montage. Onward we go!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Onward.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Onward!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Onward

Also, is there a difference between copper and gold coins in the book? The ones on the string are copper and the ones from your Uncle are gold.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

seaborgium posted:

Onward

Also, is there a difference between copper and gold coins in the book? The ones on the string are copper and the ones from your Uncle are gold.

Thanks for pointing that out. At this point, I don't believe there's a difference, but we'll see. Sadly, a more accurately OCR'd text does allow one to hunt this information down a bit more quickly.

Page 18 posted:

You walk for days, sometimes resting in the huts of friendly farmers but more often sleeping rough. You are used to hard work, but now you drive yourself to spend every waking hour on the march. Add 2 points to your Permanent STAMINA. Eventually you are climbing through vine-covered hills to overlook the city of Traole, provincial capital of this region.

If you enter the city, turn to 377.
If you continue past it, towards the mountains which loom on the horizon, note down the word 'offers' on your Adventure Sheet and turn to 81.

Yes, we have been to Traole (the revolutionary meeting) before, no we have not been to that page in Traole. Make of that what you will.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
30 copper coins on a string
10 gold coins not on a string

Keywords: When, King

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Going through more checkpoints I hope aren't just seemingly optional (ie the cool/necessary items are hidden there but nobody tells you).

I doubt we have anything to offer the rebellion with no golden sword or martial arts mastery. Keep moving.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Whoops, not sure how I ended up doubleposting that last update.

Page 81 posted:

You trudge past the road, passed by the occasional merchant. After two days of marching you find yourself among the foothills. The road is now no better than a track, climbing steadily up the sandy slopes. To your left you can see the highest peak of the mountain; another track branches off to the right.

If you press on ahead, turn to 97.
If you take the branching path, turn to 253.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear

Keywords: When, King, Offers

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Branch, I guess.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go right. With our luck, climbing the mountain immediately is not the best idea.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 253 posted:

As darkness falls, you follow the path down into the valley, encountering a bubbling stream splashing over rocks. Spray fills the air with moisture, and out of the stream rises an ominous shape; part man, part fish, with razor-sharp fins instead of hands. Water laps around your feet, preventing you from moving, and the Yuemo approaches, its mouth opening and closing rhythmically.

posted:

Yuemo
SKILL 7 STAMINA 7

If you have a pronged spear, add 2 to your Attack Strength while fighting the Yuemo

If you win this battle, turn to 17.

Mulan vs Yuemo
Round 1: (3,4)+8>(5,2)+7, Yuemo loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 2: (5,5)+8>(6,4)+7, Yuemo loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 3: (3,4)+8=(4,4)+7, Yuemo and Mulan slip through each other's mutual grasps.
Round 4: (6,1)+8<(6,4)+7, Mulan loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 5: (1,1)+8>(2,4)+7, Mulan loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 6: (6,1)+8>(1,1)+7, Yuemo loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 7: (2,6)+8>(1,1)+7, Mulan had better find a rather large mounting block (as well as a sturdy wall) to show this one off

: Ha, go fish!

Page 17 posted:

The demonic fish-man transforms itself back into water and splashes into the stream once more. You stand motionless for a moment, panting with the exertion and half expecting Yuemo to reappear. Instead, a tiny fish leaps out of the water and into your waiting hand. Its scales are golden, and it stares up at you with a look akin to intelligence in its eye. Pocketing your strange catch (note in down on your Equipment List), you wade out of the stream.

If you carry on in the direction you were originally going, turn to 380.
If you turn round and retrace your footsteps back the way you came, turn to 129.

: Great, I thought I was gonna have to find a golden worm to land one of these.

: All you needed to do was go down the street to the fantasy Pepperidge Farms factory store. They've got them by the bag there!

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Stamina: 7/11

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals (soggy)
Pronged spear (fishy)
Gold Fish

Let me know if you're interested in burning a provision here, or waiting to see if there's some healing.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 21, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Onwards! and save our food for now.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

achtungnight posted:

Onwards! and save our food for now.

I concur.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 380 posted:

The path wends its way through a ravine and into a sheltered valley. It leads past a small hut which huddles beneath a hulking rocky overhang.

If you pause to inspect the hut, turn to 242.
If you push on out of the valley, turn to 144.

: HUT!

: HUT HUT HUT!

: Odds on some old abandoned mining shack vs plotdump sage?

: I'd say 1:4.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals (soggy)
Pronged spear (fishy)
Gold Fish

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Investigate the hut.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Hut and here's hoping it's not a hut of instant death.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Atten-HUT! :)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 242 posted:

The interior of the hut is sparsely furnished, with an ash-filled fireplace in the middle of the room. A battered old kettle sits beside the fireplace, with an open pot of leaves next to it. Against the far wall is a low desk, on which brushes hang from a rack and small pieces of yellow paper are stacked in a neat pile. Drawn by curiosity, you look at the papers, on which complicated characters are written in red ink.

If you take some of the papers and leave the hut, turn to 35.
If you brew up some tea and wait for the hut's occupant to return, turn to 172.

: I don't think I ever read when working among the polders.

: Did you ever make paper airplanes?

: No paper, besides fantasy gliders haven't even been speculated about yet. We just hucked sandals and hats at each other.

: Well, you might cross paths with someone of greater learning. So keep that in mind.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals (soggy)
Pronged spear (fishy)
Gold Fish

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 22, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Stealing the papers sounds bad. Helping ourselves to their tea also seems kind of weird, but more like an attempt to at least be friendly/hospitable, so tea, Earl Grey, hot.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We will Brew up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm with Caveman. Brew tea.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 172 posted:

You don't have long to wait, an old man with a golden sword at his belt soon comes shuffling into the hut. He doesn't seem surprised by your presence while you kneel before him and apologize for presuming upon his hospitality. Instead, he seats himself, takes the cup of tea you offer and sniffs its vapor before speaking.

Turn to 150.

Page 150 posted:

'My family name is Yao,' he begins, 'though I seem to have forgotten my other names...' He pauses to sip his tea. 'I don't have many visitors here, I'm in retreat from the world - all that hustle and bustle, it's not for me. I just look for a simple existence in which I can practice my little tricks and try to stop thinking about things.' He peers at you. 'What brings you here?'

If you tell him that you are seeking the murderer of your father, turn to 39.
If you tell him you seek to learn his wisdom, turn to 367.

: It all started long ago, I was orphaned and then I was eaten by a misprint worm and then turned into an arena slave which actually turned out well in the short term and I had the most delicious kabob but then got kung-fu'd to death and then I went back met my uncle and looted my old home and got a pointy stick which THEN helped me-

: Whoah there slugger. Remember, it takes awhile to get into the saging business. Let the man enjoy his tea before you chew his ear off.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Gold Fish
Hot cuppa brownian motion goodness

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

We seek vengeance.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Be honest- we seek vengeance. If this guy is related to Mulan's comrade in arms Yao he'll appreciate that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Tell him you seek to learn his wisdom. To get that sword!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 39 posted:

'Well, a sage once wrote that no man may live under the same sky as the killer of his father,' Yao says. 'But another sage wrote that nothing justifies murder. For myself, the only sage I believe in is the herb which goes in my cooking pot.' He stares deeply into his bowl, then continues. 'I may be able to help you, but first you must do me a small favor. A month ago, an eager young fellow called Suiyuan came to me and asked if I would help him in his cause - something to do with restoring justice in the land. I said I'd help him, but I must confess that it has slipped my mind until now. I don't really want to get involved in politics, but I do have an article that you could take to aid the young man.' He hands you his sword. 'This is the Sacred Sword of Tsui. Guard it carefully and take it to Suiyuan in Traole. Do this for me and I will help you in your quest.' Note down the Golden Sword on your Equipment List. If you use it in combat, it will add 2 to your Attack Strength.

You stay a night with Master Yao, then set off back to Traole.

Turn to 235.

: Oh. That was easy.

: A little...too easy.

: Nope, definitely not too easy, I'll take what's coming to me.

Page 235 posted:

You pass through the gates into the bustling town. A wave of confidence sweeps over you as you look around. It's time to make a few enquiries here.

Turn to 375.

This should be familiar ground.

Page 375 posted:

You are treated with suspicion by everyone you approach. You soon learn that there have been attacks on prominent citizens and officials; a band of revolutionaries is active, and the Dragon Guards are using brute force in their attempts to bring the rebels to justice. Somehow you sense that you share some of the goals of the rebels, but it's hard to find out how to contact them. If you are to locate the rebels, you must put your trust in someone.

Test your Luck.

If you are Lucky, turn to 24.
If you are Unlucky, turn to 108.

At this point, Lucky bounces us to the barber who in turn refers us to the rebels. Unlucky is a bit new, so let's see that.

Page 108 posted:

You hear a young man in a tavern cursing the rulers of the isles. As he leaves the tavern, you sidle up to him and broach the subject of the rebels. He stares at you with eyes bleary from drink, and takes a swing at you.

posted:

Drunk
SKILL 4 STAMINA 10

Mulan vs Drunk
Round 1: (6,2)+8>(2,1)+4, Drunk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 2: (6,1)+8>(1,4)+4, Drunk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 3: (2,2)+8>(3,1)+4, Drunk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 4: (1,3)+8>(1,2)+4, Drunk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 5: (1,2)+8>(1,4)+4, Mulan just sworded a dude for being ornery.

OK, so that was a bit rude, but we added 1 to our Kill List unscathed and that doesn't suck. We go to the meeting, and excited to use our new gadget we'll stick around for the brewing storm. The Dragon Guard burst in, and armed with our golden pig-sticker...

Page 37 posted:

The young fellow named Suiyuan is cut down even as you are raising the sword aloft. There is a moment of stillness, followed by cries of, 'The sacred sword is with us!' The revolutionaries start to fight back, and, simply by force of numbers, oust the Dragon Guards, but more than half the revolutionaries have fallen in the bitter fighting. 'Their leader addresses you; 'Now that Suiyuan is dead, you must carry his torch. Take the sacred sword to the capital. Appeal directly to the Councillor Merzei - he must listen to us!' You protest that you known nothing of the cause, but your words fall on deaf ears. Your hurry out of the city and head south.

Turn to 99.

From here, we meet the puzzler and gain 198, then approach the samurai again. Lacking any new keywords (and having successfully gained the wooden plaque during our last visit, I'll be pursuing our previous course of action unless otherwise requested.

But unfortunately...that's still death for us. We have no red robe. Almost as if we were supposed to pick one up. Now where would one do such a thing?

For better or for worse, this book is pretty unforgiving when it comes to successfully completing a run. In the interest of keeping steam going, I'm going to pop us back on the right track. In fairness, this doesn't take us too far back. Let's re-enter the plot pre-fish.

Page 97 posted:

The path winds upwards and you squint up at the looming majesty of the chief of the Golden Crane Mountains. You can't see any buildings or signs of life at the summit. Ahead, a sandy path forks off to the left. At the junction sits a shaven-headed fellow in the red robes of a monk.

Will you:
Ignore him and carry straight on? Turn to 295.
Bow to him? Turn to 229.
Ignore him and take the left fork? 338.
Ask him if Baochou Monastery lies at the summit of the mountain? Turn to 161.

: I'M SO CONFUSED.

: It all started long ago, you were orphaned and wandered around a bit before finding your uncle. He told you to find the monastery so you looted your old home and got a pointy stick. You chose not to enter Traole and wandered up a mountain.

: That's it?

: Well you killed a fishbeast and got a sword but then go re-incarnated after getting punched to death, but that's besides the point.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This book is confusing and unforgiving of the wrong path. I also read in a review recently that the cool winged shark men on the cover do not actually appear in the book. :(

Oh well, let's complete it anyway. I trust that it will get better.

Monks expect respect- bow to this one.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

achtungnight posted:

This book is confusing and unforgiving of the wrong path. I also read in a review recently that the cool winged shark men on the cover do not actually appear in the book. :(

Oh well, let's complete it anyway. I trust that it will get better.

I like the idea of the possibility of recursion, but also recognize that I'm much more aware of the mechanics at work as I read and transcribe the book than the casual readers are. Coils of Hate and Green Blood were a bit simpler and more obvious targets to lampoon for it, but this book is a bit finickier.

Page 229 posted:

You bow respectfully to the monk. For a moment you think he hasn't seen you, but then he looks with a smile and says, 'Answer me this: I have roots deep in the ground, and I loom up, up, up above your head, yet I never grow. What am I?'

What will you reply?

A pine tree? Turn to 112.
The heavens? Turn to 173.
A mountain? Turn to 397.
A giant? Turn to 57.

Or, if you'd rather carry straight on down the path, turn to 295.

: Damnit. Was hoping for a gimme "What do I have in my pockets?"

: The vow of poverty would clear that up.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear

Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Didn't mean to be negative, just had to vent. Sorry. I haven't read the other two FF books you mention, I'll look them up.

Mountain seems the best answer here.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah that's pretty obviously a mountain.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I dislike that answer, because some mountains DO grow. Just not as noticeable on a human time span.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 397 posted:

'You are correct, in so far as any question has an answer,' he replies. 'Follow me.' He turns and makes his way along the left-hand path.

As night falls, you ascend the mountain, finally reaching what seems to be a huge gateway into the mountainside. Your escort indicates a narrow gap between the colossal doors. 'Enter!' he says.

If you have the word 'silk' written on your Adventure Sheet, turn to 3.
Otherwise, turn to 241.

It's possible (and very bad) to get infested with a silk worm. The folks at the monastery kick us out but fortunately a kind old dude who can heal us is very nearby. However, this does kinda preclude doing anything in the monastery, so after coming all this way it's fortunate we don't have any passengers on board.

Page 241 posted:

You step through the doors into a massive chamber. There is a clunk! as the doors close behind you, and echoes dance about. Facing you is a large statue of Arn, god of the Isles of the Dawn. At his feet, a small metal bowl gives off a thick green smoke. From a side passage steps a monk. 'I am Dry Jade, Abbot of Baochou Monastery,' he says. 'You are welcome.'

If you tell him that you wish to become a monk, turn to 109.
If you ask him for assistance in your quest, turn to 355.

: Thank you?

: Here. You are welcome here.

Just to add some flavor, let's ask for assistance.

Page 355 posted:

'Your goals are clouded by a crimson tide,' Dry Jade replies. 'We cannot help one such as you until you have purged yourself of your pain, and by then you may no longer wish for our help.' Despite his refusal, Dry Jade offers you a surprisingly hearty meal of beans and pickled radish, and a bed mat for the night.

Next morning you wake up, refreshed and clear-headed. Will you:

Change your mind and ask to become a monk? Turn to 109.
Set off back to Traole? Turn to 249.
Continue your journey northwards? Turn to 75.

: Well, I've got 40 coins of various mint burning a hole in my hat right now. You guys don't by any chance have a gift shop, do you?

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Title drop! :)

We know we need a red robe to stand a chance against the enemy monk in the palace, and becoming a monk seems the best way to get one. Ask about becoming a monk.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

See if we can get a wool hat, too, if we become a Monkee.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 109 posted:

The abbot shows you round the monastery, where some two hundred monks study, meditate and train. You are given a red robe (note it down on your Equipment List) and are assigned a mat in the dormitory. The abbot asks which task you would prefer: you may work in the kitchen, help with the laundry, or clean the martial arts practice chamber.

Which do you chose:

The kitchen? Turn to 374.
The laundry? Turn to 186.
Cleaning duties? Turn to 41.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe
A rapidly spreading case of matbugs

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Clean the dojo. Wax on, wax off, Daniel-San!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Definitely Clean the dojo. There will probably be some old cleaning dude there who is the best fighter in the place. We can learn from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 41 posted:

You are set to work, cleaning the monks' practice hall. They use a variety of weapons, and it is also your task to clean these. Days pass and you wonder when you are going to be taught the martial arts yourself. Even though you clean the practice hall, you are always told to leave whenever the monks practice.

If you watch the monks practice and train yourself in secret, turn to 231.
If you carry on as you are, turn to 343.

: Dry Jade is a jerk.

Character Sheet posted:

13 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe
A rapidly spreading case of matbugs

• Locked thread