Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Patience, young grasshopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Patience the training montage is till to come I hope. They don't know we're a girl either.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Watch and learn.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I vote for secret training. It sounds more fun and like something an impulsive teen with revenge on their mind would do.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Coinflip. Heads for wait, Tails for train.

Flipping...Heads

Page 343 posted:

Days pass as you accustom yourself to a never-changing ritual. Add 1 year to your Age and 2 points to your STAMINA. Deduct 1 point from your FEROCITY.

At the end of the year, the abbot visits you and asks how you are progressing.

If you tell him you are doing fine, turn to 199.
If you tell him you want to learn martial arts, turn to 278.

: I have a horrible case of dojo-itch, but the Red Robe is wonderfully comfortable.

: You're losing a bit of your edge here.

: True, but when did it ever do me any good?

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Reborn Triskadecagenarian
14 Years Old

Skill: 6
Stamina: 13/13
Luck: 9
Ferocity: 4 (when age increases, lose 2 Ferocity)

Inventory:
Provisions x2 (restore 4 STAMINA per use)
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
30 copper coins on a string
10 gold coins not on a string
Red Robe
A rapidly spreading case of matbugs

Keywords: When, King, Offers

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2
Failures: Merchanting
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We know this dojo requires determination from our uncle's info. We're probably going to get told to wait again but let's remind them of our hopes. Please teach us martial arts. Maybe we'll get the chance to say how study could help calm our raging emotions or something.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I want to learn Kung-Fu

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can we get to the training montage already, Master?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm going to go against the grain and say We're doing fine.. I think it's a test.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 278 posted:

The abbot sucks in his breath. 'It is a shame that you cannot control your emotion,' he says. Nevertheless he allows you to begin training. Your tutor is Flying Turtle, a short, bald fellow. Every day he takes you out into the woods behind the monastery, shows you a pile of wood, and tells you to stamp on every piece until it is broken. You then carry the broken wood back to the monastery, where it used to fuel the kitchen fires. You don't seem to be learning much self-defense but, when you protest, Flying Turtle just shouts at you.

Weeks and months pass. Add 1 year to your Age, 4 points to your Permanent STAMINA and 2 points to your SKILL. Write the word 'wood' on your Adventure Sheet.

Turn to 300.

: Well, the calluses seem to effectively prevent splinters. Progress!

Page 300 posted:

You are summoned before a council of the highest-ranking monks in Baochou Monastery. Dry Jade tells you that, because of your special qualities, you have been selected to represent the monastery in a quest to recover a sacred relic, a drinking vessel said to have belonged to Shazi, a prophet of Arn in ancient times. The relic is hidden in the realm below, a mysterious underworld full of hidden dangers. You are led to the black marble gates which mark the entrance to the underworld, where the monks bid you farewell.

Turn to 399.

: Wait, what?

: I would have sworn you'd be thrown out or sent to pick some mountain figs or something after how these last few years panned out.

: And now I'm being sent to the underworld.

: Oh. OH. It's one of those tasks.

Page 399 posted:

You start down the steps. Visibility is limited; the tunnel is lit only by a faint luminescence from the walls. Your body feels light and your mood is euphoric. After a while the steps reach a platform, a small square chamber. Out of the shadows emerges an old man, his face familiar but not identifiable. 'I am Meng Zhidao. I will guide you through these tunnels. In everything there is a pattern, and you will understand only if you observe a pattern. Balance, balance and progress - concentrate on these. Now follow me.'

He turns and starts to descend another flight of steps. As if in a dream, you follow. At the bottom of the stairs another tunnel leads off into the gloom. Without hesitation you follow Meng Zhidao along it. You emerge into a foul-smelling cavern, but you have no time to take in its contents before you become aware of another figure, which has just emerged from a parallel tunnel to your right.

If you have a red robe, turn to 27.
If you have a white face, turn to 177.
Otherwise, turn to 298.

Page 27 posted:

The other figure is wearing robes similar to yours, but his face is painted bone white. As soon as he sees you, he crouches.

If you have the word 'wood' on your Adventure Sheet, turn to 373.
Otherwise, turn to 132.

: I've been bustin' wood for over a year for this very moment!

Page 373 posted:

The figure sidles towards you, moving like an insect. As fast as a praying mantis, his leg sweeps at you. Instinctively, you stamp down, the way you broke wood for Flying Turtle. Your opponent screams in pain. His next approach is more wary.

posted:

WHITE-FACED MONK
SKILL 8 STAMINA 8

It's kinda nice that we get that flavor text, but unfortunately there are better approaches to this fight.

Mulan vs Whitey
Round 1: (4,4)+8<(4,4)+8, Mulan loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 2: (1,4)+8>(1,2)+8, Monk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 3: (1,6)+8<(3,5)+8, Mulan loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 4: (3,6)+8>(2,4)+8, Monk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 5: (4,3)+8>(2,1)+8, Monk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 6: (4,1)+8>(1,2)+8, kinda hard to tell but the monk just got a bit paler.

: Eat it, paste-boy!

: That felt substantial!

Page 267 posted:

The monk's body lies still. As you watch, it gradually fades until nothing is left. You notice Meng standing near by. 'The way lies ahead,' he says, pointing to a wide corridor leading out of the chamber. This in turn leads to a similar chamber. The first sight to greet you here is your father, holding out his hands to you. 'He can be freed if you will but give him your most prized possession,' Meng says.

Do you:

Give him your most prized possession (underline the item on your Equipment List)? Turn to 387.
Attack him? Turn to 117.
Ignore him and walk on? Turn to 209.

: Him who?

Your father, not Meng.

: Attack your father? What the hell?

: Or I could give him this swanky hat!

: It is your only memoir of home, besides these fantasy Chacos.

Character Sheet posted:

15 Years Old

Skill: 8
Stamina: 13/17
Ferocity: 2 (when age increases, lose 2 Ferocity)

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe
Those underworld blues

Keywords: When, King, Offers, Wood

Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 28, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

We most prize one of our 2 provisions, but we will gladly give it up to save dear old dad.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Give up the hat.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Meng said that this person can be freed, but he didn't say that he should be freed, and he definitely didn't say that that really is our dad. Besides, we're here for some bowl or something. Ignore the distraction and walk on past him.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I disbelieve the illusion and walk on past.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 387 posted:

Your father smiles. He passes the item back to you in silence, then his image slowly fades away. Deduct 2 points from your FEROCITY.

Turn to 19.

:siren::siren:FEROCITY=0:siren::siren:

Page 200 posted:

You have attained inner peace - your desire for revenge no longer clouds your mind. Add 2 to your SKILL. If you ever have to roll the dice and compare the results to your FEROCITY, you may now always choose not to be ferocious if you wish; that is, you may choose the 'greater than' option.

Now turn back to the paragraph you came from.

: *Yawn* I think I just powered up.

Walk past doesn't get us a FEROCITY drop, and fight reveals a 9/16 "Mengemo" to conquer before moving along to 19.

Page 19 posted:

Meng points to the double doors at the far end of the chamber. Each of the elegantly designed doors has a handle.

If you open the left-hand door, turn to 85.
If you open the right-hand door, turn to 363.
If you push both handles together, turn to 307.

: Well, it looks like there are a total of 60 spots on the door.

: And?

: ...page 60 appears to involve mercenaries and mulberries and an old man who probably isn't Meng. I got nothing here.

Character Sheet posted:

15 Years Old

Skill: 10
Ferocity: 0, may choose less ferocious results when rolling for FEROCITY

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe
Eternal enlightenment upon our deathbed, so we've got that going for us, which is nice

Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Balance means pushing both doors.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Never seen that option in a game book before so push both doors.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 307 posted:

The doors open smoothly, revealing dimly lit corridors beyond. Here, flaming sconces burn on the walls, and in their guttering light you can see passages leading both left and right; a tunnel continues straight on. 'A weight is upon your shoulders,' says Meng. 'Do you yet know where you are?'

Which passage do you follow:

The left-hand one? Turn to 58.
The right-hand one? Turn to 193.
The middle one? Turn to 158.

Either of the other choices result in failure of this bit (possibly with teleportation way the hell out of there) so well chosen.

Character Sheet posted:

15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe
Eternal enlightenment upon our deathbed, so we've got that going for us, which is nice

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Take the middle path, I guess.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Huh. I was expecting 200 to be a 'you give up and become a rice farmer, game over' page. I'm confused by the phrasing, though. It says that we can now choose to fail Ferocity checks, but isn't it impossible for us to pass them at this point?

And yeah, we got through the doors with both yin and yang, so straight down the middle.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Middle.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Left and right were wrong before, so middle.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh. I was expecting 200 to be a 'you give up and become a rice farmer, game over' page. I'm confused by the phrasing, though. It says that we can now choose to fail Ferocity checks, but isn't it impossible for us to pass them at this point?

I think it's just advising to the lowest denominator, ensuring that no readers spend too much extra time rolling when it's not needed.

Page 158 posted:

The tunnel is short and wide and gives on to a roughly circular chamber. The room is lit by thousands of tiny lights dancing in the air, some darting about, others staying still. In the middle of the room stands a tall, dark shape: a figure etched permanently in your memory, its demon mask mocking you. Beside you Meng gestures urgently.

If you wait to see what Meng has to say, turn to 233.
If the Fear is upon you, turn to 212.
Otherwise, you may attack the figure (turn to 352.

: This would be a heck of a lot trippier if I saw in a higher resolution.

: Or color for that matter.

Character Sheet posted:

15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Patience is a virtue. Wait.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fun with Chinese hanyu pinyin

Background posted:

Your father dies in your arms. His last words are, 'Go to the Baochou Monastery. Avenge me and save your mother!'

Now turn to paragraph 1.

Baochou is the sound for "报仇", which is Chinese for "revenge / vengeance". The appropriateness of "Revenge Monastery" for someone seeking revenge is obvious.

Page 54 posted:

Page 54 posted:

You let out a blood-curdling yell as you swing your wooden sword at the barbarian. Taken by surprise, he staggers back, grunting in pain. You follow up with a thrust to the stomach, but he is too quick for you. Grabbing the end of your sword, he tugs sharply, unbalancing you. Before you can dodge away he is upon you pinning your arm behind your back. 'Ha! You fight like a sabretooth,' he snarls.' Perfect for the arena.' Somehow he manages to tie your hands together and throw you across the back of his horse .The jolting ride that follows bruises every bone in your body.

Eventually you arrive in a town and clatter through its streets. You are delivered to the arena, where you are put into training under the master swordsman Jian, a muscular fellow with a strangely curved right eyebrow. Closely guarded by day and by night, you are taught the use of the sword, spear, halberd, bow and axe.

Jian is the sound for "剑", which is Chinese for "sword". So this is a master swordsman named "Sword".

Page 290 posted:

There must be almost fifty people crammed into the strange building. Intricate machinery stands idle, waiting for the combination of knowledge and motive power that will set it going. The imposing figure of the rebel leader climbs on to a squat cylinder. Although quite old, she plainly has plenty of energy. Most of her speech makes little sense to you, with its references to 'Merezi's great vision' and 'government by council'; but there's no doubting the enthusiasm of the assembled group. You push your way towards the front as the leader introduces Suiyuan, a young man who urges the assembled crowd to arm for the struggle. Then everybody is chanting: 'Down with the tyrant!' The atmosphere is electric. You can feel the violence hanging in the air like a heat-haze before a storm.

Suiyuan is the sound for "随缘", which is Chinese for "in accordance with destiny" / "following destiny".

Page 289 posted:

The rest of the journey passes uneventfully. Eventually Shoudu rises before you, sprawling along the banks of the mighty Red River. At first you don't take in its size, but as you approach the city you begin to realize that your home district, fields, woods, hills and all, would fit comfortably within its walls. You pass through the enormous North Gate and look around. Although there is the bustle of everyday business, there are signs that the civil war has scarred the capital. On one side the charred remnants of a building bear silent testimony while, on another, a pair of flint-featured Dragon Guards survey the citizens with barely disguised contempt. Nevertheless Shoudu is the seat of the God-King and by ancient tradition he may be petitioned in cases of great injustice.

Shoudu is the sound for "首都", which is Chinese for "capital city". This is a capital city called "Capital City".

Page 145 and Page 365 posted:

The people you meet in the street treat you with suspicion, but when you ask for directions to your uncle's house they become friendlier. You are directed to a pleasant little dwelling close by Yenshu's North Gate. When you strike the gong which hangs outside the door, a slender woman answers; she leads you into the main hall where your uncle Zhonggao waits. When he rises to greet you, the similarity to your father in voice and appearance is striking. Zhonggao must have been your father's brother, though he had always been described to you as if he were only distantly related. Your uncle smiles to welcome you and you tell him the fate of his brother. A shadow passes across his face as you speak of the foreign barbarian's foul deed...

Zhonggao warns you about the strictness of the monks. 'They will test you to see whether you are suitable.You must show determination or they will never allow you in.'

Zhonggao is the sound for "忠告", which is Chinese for "faithful warning" i.e. a warning by a trusted retainer or friend with good intentions, as opposed to a hostile warning / threat by an enemy with ill intentions. So your uncle "Warning" gave you a warning.

Page 145 and Page 365 posted:

'The child must be given money,' says Zhonggao's wife. Yubei, the woman who answered the door. 'Shelter too, and any other help we can render. They may have spurned you because of me, but they are still your family, and you must help avenge your brother's death.' You sleep well, and in the morning you hungrily devour a delicious bowl of rice porridge with pickled vegetables. While you eat, Zhonggao ponders upon your best course of action. 'The magistrate is busy, and perhaps too callow to take action. It may be wisest to make for Baochou, there to learn the fighting arts, so that you can take revenge yourself.'

Yubei presses a small bag into your hand as you leave. Inside are 10 Gold Pieces, more money than you've ever seen in your life. You thank her for her kindness and promise your uncle that you will not fail.

Yubei is the sound for "预备", which is Chinese for "prepare". So your aunt "Prepare" helped you to prepare for your mission by giving you supplies.

Page 253 posted:

As darkness falls, you follow the path down into the valley, encountering a bubbling stream splashing over rocks. Spray fills the air with moisture, and out of the stream rises an ominous shape; part man, part fish, with razor-sharp fins instead of hands. Water laps around your feet, preventing you from moving, and the Yuemo approaches, its mouth opening and closing rhythmically.

Yuemo
SKILL 7 STAMINA 7

If you have a pronged spear, add 2 to your Attack Strength while fighting the Yuemo

If you win this battle, turn to 17.

Yuemo is the sound for "鱼恶魔", which is Chinese for "fish demon". So this is a "part man, part fish" monster called "Fish Demon".

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 30, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Are you about to tell me my enemy's weakness, Meng?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

knowledge bomb

Thanks, that's neat to see! Any insights into the Mengemo we'd have faced if we tried to fight the vision of our father?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

399 posted:

You start down the steps. Visibility is limited; the tunnel is lit only by a faint luminescence from the walls. Your body feels light and your mood is euphoric. After a while the steps reach a platform, a small square chamber. Out of the shadows emerges an old man, his face familiar but not identifiable. 'I am Meng Zhidao. I will guide you through these tunnels. In everything there is a pattern, and you will understand only if you observe a pattern. Balance, balance and progress - concentrate on these. Now follow me.'

Meng is the sound for "梦", which is Chinese for "dream". Fitting for the surreal / dream-like atmosphere of this "mysterious underworld full of hidden dangers".

Zhidao is the sound for "知道", which is Chinese for "know" / "to know". A fitting appellation for a "guide".

Ratatozsk posted:

Walk past doesn't get us a FEROCITY drop, and fight reveals a 9/16 "Mengemo" to conquer before moving along to 19.

Mengemo is the sound for "梦恶魔", which is Chinese for "dream demon".

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 30, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 253 posted:

'If you can say where you are, you may leave this place now,' says Meng.

Do you:

Ignore him and attack your enemy? Turn to 352.
Say: 'The Land of Roots'? Turn to 44.
Say: 'My Mind'? Turn to 152.
Say: 'The Demon Plane'? Turn to 333.

Recent revelations may make this a bit more obvious.

Character Sheet posted:

15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Tell Yoda that I'm in my head, busting some freudian slips

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ratatozsk posted:

Recent revelations may make this a bit more obvious.

I was sure when I read through this book as a kid it was the Land of Robots. I'm going to be super disappointed if it turns out the book didn't give you a wacky option for no reason.

E: Also, we don't want to leave! We're here to get a bowl or something. Attack the figure.

Whybird fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 30, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I had my suspicions even before the revelations. My mind.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 152 posted:

The world goes black. Deduct 2 points from your FEROCITY. Check your Adventure Sheet.

Do you have:

A clay bowl and a white face? Turn to 62.
A clay bowl and red robes? Turn to 217.
Just a white face? Turn to 69.
Just red robes? Turn to 93.

Page 93 posted:

You wake up to see the concerned face of Dry Jade looking down at you. Your STAMINA is restored to its permanent level. Now that you have failed in the test, you face a choice.

If you stay at the monastery and give up your quest for revenge, turn to 199.
If you decide to leave, turn to 281.

: Ah nuts.

Character Sheet posted:

15 Years Old

Stamina: 17/17
Ferocity: -2, may choose less ferocious results when rolling for FEROCITY

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Red Robe
A big fat F on our big test

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

quote:

'If you can say where you are, you may leave this place now,' says Meng.

Aw, dangit, we didn't actually want to leave! Darn tricky monks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Aw nuts! Well, my choice here is easy. I see our character as much like Kung Fu Panda at this point. He's found inner peace, but because it's the right thing to do, he's still going after the bad guys.

Leave the monastery.

Now we hope the robes are enough to beat the enemy monk and we don't also need some cool ultimate moves we had to stay to learn.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 281 posted:

If you plan to travel to the south, turn to 249.
If you would rather head northwards, turn to 295.

So, both directions take us to a keyword check that we don't have. After that, south takes us to Traole without any real changes in options (although we don't have the sword this time.) Going north puts us back on the trail of the mercenaries that we followed before. All things being equal, I'll just let you all know that our path is doomed at this point. We didn't pick up the sword this time around. We can get in to see the king, but from there...

Page 181 posted:

Mischievous eyes glint from a childlike face. 'Greetings, fellow monk,' says the strange fellow. 'My name's Merzei - you may have heard of me. What's your business here?' Something about the man's open manner makes you trust him instinctively, so you tell him that you are here to petition the king to do something about the destruction of your village. 'The king is merciful,' says Merzei, 'and I'm sure he will help you if you put your case to him. I cannot lead you to him myself, for I am out of favor, but I can show you the way.'

If you have a wooden plaque, turn to 20.
Otherwise, turn to 358.

Assuming we got that plaque again this time. Not having the plaque results in a single page (reflecting the fact that we murdered someone to get in) before bouncing us back to 324 where the monk monks us to death. Anyhow, moving along.

Page 20 posted:

Merzei pulls aside a hanging drape and indicates a bare passageway. 'This leads to the king's private quarters. Good fortune be with you,' he says.

At the end of the passage is a wooden panel. It takes a few moments for you to work out how to slide the panel to one side, then you step cautiously into the chamber beyond. The king is sitting at a simple reading desk, he is a large man with strangely curled hair and a proud nose. When he looks up, his dark-brown eyes seem to bore into your soul, but he betrays neither surprise nor fear. Even though he is dressed simply, King Maior's regal bearing is overwhelming. You fall to your knees and avert your gaze. 'You are here seeking justice,' says Maior. 'Speak your case.'

Once again you tell your story, complaining that the authorities allow mercenaries to do what they like, and describing how your mother was enslaved by the barbarians who killed your father.

If you have the golden sword, turn to 218.
Otherwise turn to 107.

Page 107 posted:

'This is a most serious matter,' says the king. He strikes a tiny gong on his reading desk. 'I will have the matter dealt with by my personal adviser.' Into the room glides a fat figure dressed in finery a hundred times more extravagant than the king's simple robe. Maior informs him that he is to deal with your case as a matter of urgency. You bow low before the king and leave with Pantu.

Turn to 400.

Page 400 posted:

He leads you through the labyrinthine corridors of the palace until you come to an area of dusty stonework. He gestures you through a doorway, then tugs a lever. The floor gives way; you are plunged into a deep, bone-filled pit. Pantu cackles, an unnerving, high-pitched sound. There is no way out of the pit; you are trapped. Your adventure is over.

Death: Bone pit of doom

: I...*sigh*

: That's fair.

Alright, so let's jump back to the monastery. If we'd watched the practicing monks, we'd have obtained the keyword crane, but the only really difference when heading into the dream world is an easier fight against the white-faced monk. So let's go back to the choice of places to work and pick the kitchen instead.

Page 374 posted:

You are put to work in the kitchen, chopping up the monks' food with a cleaver. Days pass and you wonder when you are going to be taught these 'martial arts' for which the monks are famous. The monastery is a tranquil place, however, and since you work in the kitchen you are never short of food. Add 1 year to your Age and 2 points to your Permanent STAMINA.

At the end of they year, the abbot visits you and asks how you are progressing.

If you tell him you are well pleased with your lot, turn to 53.
If you ask to be taught the martial arts, turn to 278.

: So-

: It all started long ago, you were orphaned and wandered around a bit before finding your uncle. He told you to find the monastery so you looted your old home and got a pointy stick. You chose not to enter Traole and wandered up a mountain. You made friends with a monk and picked a better job at his house. Now don't screw this one up as much.

Character Sheet posted:

14 Years Old

Skill: 6
Stamina: 13/13
Ferocity: 5, subtract 2 upon Aging

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Getting a bit of that Monastery Vibe

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or]

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 1, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Augh! Bad book with so many requirements!

Opposite tack this time. We are fine, sensei, and you?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We're fine, Master.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We're fine, I'm fine. I have no problem waiting another decade to rescue my mother who will not surly die in my arms the minute I rescue her. Also, I hate sand. Furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 53 posted:

Abbot Dry Jade smiles. 'You are a good monk,' he says. You resume your duties in the kitchen. Add 1 year to your Age, 2 points to your Permanent STAMINA, and 1 point to your SKILL. Deduct 2 points from your FEROCITY.

Another year goes by, and Dry Jade visits you once more. He gives you a monk's knife (note it down on your Equipment List) and asks you how you are doing.

If you tell him you are still satisfied with your chosen career, turn to 199.
If you ask to be taught the martial arts, turn to 278l
If you feel that the time is ripe for you to leave the monastery and resume your quest, turn to 236.

A moment of metagaming may be of benefit here.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Skill: 7
Stamina: 15/15
Ferocity: 1, subtract 2 upon Aging

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Getting a bit of that Monastery Vibe

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or]

• Locked thread