Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'm a massive idiot and considering attempting to export an AE86 from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Powershift posted:

They sold AE86s here, and there a ton of them everywhere. The inconvenience of RHD isn't worth the "specialness"

If you're importing, import something rad like this, or this, or this

I don't live in the US.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Powershift posted:

Well where would you export it to where they never sold em?

It's not that they never sold 'em, it's just that there's none left that aren't hosed or 25 grand

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

that generation of soarer looks extremely badass

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

That's a 60 series, not an 80

I'm from NZ and I fuckin love 1980s japanese cars

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

It is as unkillable and gutless as every other Toyota I4 from the 80s... and still manufactured.

The 2.4 TD (2LTE) is absolutely killable, it's notorious for cracking heads, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole unless it was intended as a donor vehicle for putting a 1KZ into instead

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

the NA 2L is extremely reliable though. as is the 3L.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I've been doing some more reading about the head-cracking issue with the 2L-TE and apparently you can avoid it by getting an EGT gauge and keeping the temp below 1000F. There's the odd anecdote about re-routing the exhaust too, but from pictures I can't see how that would help.

"apparently" is the key word there, I reckon

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Fun fact- toyota didn’t change that dashboard design in the 70 series from its introduction in 1988 until 2009!

It's the best dashboard design. 100% function

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I put that word in, because I have no experience with the engine personally.

yah I've had mates with them in Prados who've read all the ways to prevent it on the internet and tried them and still blown heads

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

It's the best dashboard design. 100% function

1985 also. and the Prado (xxJ78) dash changed when they went to the 1KZ in 1993

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 18, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

That PZJ70 has factory lockers too

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I just want the motor, hell, from either one.

1VD won’t fit in any old Cruiser chassis sadly

Dream vehicle is a HDJ78 Troopy. But they’re impossible to find. Or a HDJ76 wagon but they’re not real

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Weird, we’d call that a double cab on this side of the world

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

#2 is a Toyota Carib. AWD Corolla wagon, 4AGE.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

yeah

I think it's mostly wank though, people who read too many 4wd magazines or something. I've owned mostly Toyota 4wds and like them, but I'd have a Saf

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Which is odd because this Prado is faster than the Rugger and the """""real""""" Land Cruiser.

Dunno the rules on getting cut up cars but I'm sure you can buy just an engine no problem.

Real Landcruisers traditionally have been very slow.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Real Killer posted:

Picked up my new BLACK JAP car I bought from a coworker in Las Vegas last month. 89 HJ60 he imported from Okinawa a few years back.

Home, washed and ready to guzzle diesel.

Hhnnnn 60s are so so loving rad

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

I meant to reply to this days ago but I haven't had the time to tally up my various expenses to date so I could write a more expanded post.

For those that haven't been following along since the beginning and may not seen my earlier posts, the reason I imported this Delica was because I need to buy a car to keep up in Northern BC, and the Delica fit my vehicle requirements of 1. Needing to be offroad capable and 2. Needing to be able to carry more than five persons. (When you consider these requirements together I honestly struggle to come up with any vehicle other than a Delica, which helps to explain why they're so popular)

There are two shops in Vancouver BC that specifically import and repair Delicas, so I could have bought one from them, but I was curious enough about importing from Japan that it seemed like it would be fun to do it myself. Coincidentally this thread got made and it introduced me to JapanCarDirect, which seemed like a good option. There are companies in Vancouver that help import as well, but none of them seemed to be so open and accessible about directly viewing auctions as JCD.

The Delica I bought was 4 grade, B interior (no smoking car!) with 93km on the odometer. I got it for ¥445,000.

Various costs were pretty much in line with what I expected, with the exception of BC compliance costs which as I mentioned earlier I forgot about lol.

Total JPN side costs (Car, JCD fee, Freight, Insurance, Repairs, transportation): ~USD$7300
BC side import costs (taxes, duty etc): C$722
BC compliance: ~C$2600 (minor safety repairs, new lights & includes 5 brand new tires, which I would have bought anyway)
Further repairs: ???? (May be a good idea to replace the timing belt given that this car is going to live in rural the middle of nowhere)
Total so far: ~C$13370

You can buy a similar Delica from Rising Sun auto in Vancouver for ~C$13-15k so I haven't really saved any money here at all, but this whole experience has been fun and very informative. Given that this car is going to be up North, far away from niche Mitsubishi repairmen, I did feel it was worthwhile paying a bit more to get a car that was already in pretty good condition and I think I succeeded at that so I'm happy.

I wouldn't try to make a side hustle business out of importing Delicas to Vancouver as there are already two established operators capable of cutting out the middle men, and getting lights for compliance is clearly a pain. Costs associated with complying with the Out of Province Inspection were more than I thought. Potentially there is an opportunity to import some other niche car where getting the parts for compliance with the OOP inspection would be much easier and cheaper for laypersons like myself. Jeeps are popular here and Vancouver has the most expensive gas in North America, so I wonder if the Jimny could find a strong audience here. I may import one for fun to see what those costs come in at.

Landcruiser Troopcarrier

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Even a KZJ95 Prado is a (cramped) 7 seater and parts are a dime a dozen, and a better off-roader than a Delica

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

The 2LT/2LTE is terrible and should be avoided entirely (head problems). There are thousands of them in NZ and most seem to have had head issues

1KZTE has a bit of a rep for cracking heads as well, mostly on automatic gearboxes. Nowhere near as much as the 2LT though, and seems to be fine if you keep up maintenance to the cooling system and put in an aftermarket trans cooler in if auto. There are tens of thousands of 1KZs in NZ and most of them are fine.

I don’t think Troopcarriers were ever jdm so may be hard to find ex Japan

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ooh that BJ73. Shame it’s not a 74 or I’d be talking to JCD right now

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

slothrop posted:

Are you reaching the point where it’d be cheaper to import a good body/dead engine combo and swap the body onto yours?

I dunno, mine isn’t really that bad, it would probably have been cheaper to sell it and replace before it failed a WOF on rust, but now that it has it’s gotta be fixed or it’s worth half as much to sell... and since the rust is mainly in bolt on panels it’s not terminal.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

You can’t tell visually if a Toyota full float axle has a locking diff except by the switch in the dash. That truck has a semi float diff which doesn’t have rear hubs that extend like the front hubs (full float). Semi float diffs don’t have a LSD or locker option. Full float diffs could be open, LSD, or locker, you can’t tell visually

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I don't know much anything about this sort of stuff so I am almost assuredly wrong. I was simply basing it on the last one I had:

The beige one is a year newer so maybe things changed.

The white one has a full floater, but that could mean open, LSD or locker. They came with a weird and seemingly patternless mix of semi float or full float rears on the same model. Prados are all semi float

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

At least without looking under the truck, full floats have the elocker actuator sticking out of them

Yup and older (pre 90ish) ones with lockers will have cable lockers

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Just do what EVERYONE in Australia has to do, lean 4" further to get to the volume knob.

EVERY single aftermarket head unit on the market in Australia has the volume controls oriented for Wrong hand drive cars.

This is true and I never noticed until just now

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Drivers seat looks like it’s done more than 24,000km? Massive fan of 2 tone brown though

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

Odd question, but do any of the Subaru/Toyota/Honda trucks have a bench seat up front for three people? I need a winter vehicle with 4 wheel drive but need to carry 3 people. I like the functionality of the truck, but guess I could do a van if I had to.

Some Hiluxes did but good Hiluxes (utes, not Surfs) are hard to come by in Japan now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

That’s a clone of the truck I learned to drive in. Like the 2.8 3L, the n/a 2.4 2L goes forever, the hilux we had with it had over 600,000km on it and that’s not unusual. Absolute slug though