Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
A site i have been working with for my rb25 parts is rhdjapan, I cannot recommend them enough. They would tend to be a bit more pricey but the parts are brand new, and they can find the most obscure poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

These guys?
They look to be a performance-oriented shop which is cool as heck.

The main site is performance, if you use the drop down they have an auction site, OEM (which is where i got the brand new transmission), and a wheel and tire one. They also speak english which is helpful.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

I am about to do something stupid, https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-9AFLqmkncZrMJ.htm

the wife is going to murder me. Better to ask for forgiveness ,right?????????

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Gosh and my wife told me that I better get another vehicle going because it took so long to get the Hijet :cool:
I await the auction results, the starting bid indicates that it has a high reserve. Good luck!

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-ap47i8okqnny5.htm

Am i reading this right that it was up for auction last week and did not sell for 4,390?

Did the auction house just not except the bid or do they have a reserve it did not meet?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Well guys I didn't bid on the Z32. I came to my senses and talked to the wife she said to wait till I get my bonus in October then look at buying one. Im not to mad it looks like someone would have bid more than me and the owner still didn't accept that price. Maybe I will just start bidding 3,500$ every week and see if other people lose interest maybe the seller will cave.

In another funny story. I was talking with Yoshi and he has a 75 S30 as well. In Japan they never got the l24/26/28 so they are considered rare. I have been trying to give away my l28 (N42 so extra rare even for usdm, by what im told). Anyways I told him if he pays shipping its his. So in order to give my motor away I have to send it back where it came from 42 years ago. Its cool though hopeful it makes it into his Z and i get some sweet karma in the universe.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hmmmm. Wonder if I could get a hold on a 2 door WRX STI......

They are cheap but 2023 would be the first year. Also remember that you cant even have it in the country until the 25 years has passed. So it would have to spend its life in a Canadian storage unit until then (I don't even know if a non Canadian citizen could import something into Canada).

I am definitely going to be buying three or four around 2020 though and holding until '23. They would sell like crazy here in the PNW.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

There are more than a few people storing R34 Skylines in Japan right now, and with where I am Japan might as well be as far away as Canada.
I'd probably lean on leaving a car I bought in Japan as storage and then doing the import work all at once vs. doing whatever stuff is needed to import it into Canada to then turn around and import it in the US. I don't know how that would work, but it seems easier to just use the options that are already there in Japan. I've thought about doing this with an AZ-1 but that's a few months at most.

What I am trying to say is Japan makes the best stuff including automobile storage.

Vancouver BC is only about 2 hours drive away though, which I don't know why but it makes me feel more secure.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Put down $500 and got my first free inspection on a 91 gtr. Inspections are crazy in depth. it came down to paint is peeling (clear coat) and inspector thought rust was so bad that it went through in many places. Walked away sad, but glad that I didn't buy a POS.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

astropika posted:

There used to be, but USS have stopped letting 3rd parties poll their auction results.

This, they also stopped posting their results so sales data is skewed.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Just a friendly reminder, be sure to read your state law on if Kei trucks are legal in your state.

edit: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks - handy guide

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 29, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Bid on a TT mark 2 manual , bid 2,000 usd. Some clown came in at 5,000 usd for a 87 with 281k kms. Also got put in my place by another one of JCD's delica buyers, rip yesterday and buying.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Well got two kei trucks today 91 Daihatsu hijet climber (4x4 w/ diff lock), and 91 Suzuki Carry (4wd , diff lock). JCD needed them gone and gave a good deal. Will have more info later. Now I have to figure out how to sell these things.

https://www.japancardirect.com/carsellers/1991-suzuki-carry-differ/
https://www.japancardirect.com/carsellers/1991-daihatsu-hijet-climber/

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Nice, shouldn't be difficult at all to sell them here. Usually people want them pretty much all the time they just don't know they are a thing that exists. When you compare a kei truck to one of those John Deere or Polaris 4 wheeler truck things with open canopies or canvas tops they kind of seem to sell themselves.

"What if I told you....heat...roll up windows???"

Ya that's the crowd I was thinking, also same width, bigger bed. Better bed load rating(650-750 lbs) and usually better tongje weight rating (~1200 lbs). Just have to figure out how to get into that crowds channels to sell.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

I am interested in working with you in bringing over Land Cruiser / Defender product to flip if you are interested, my goal would be to make a profit.

That's a tough market to get into. Lot of people have the same idea, Lost the two I have bid on (6,800 bid).

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

Well I'm down with whatever if you want to give it a go. I too want to stay away from boy-racer stuff. But also if we could jump on any overlooked Land Cruisers that would seem to be easy flip.

I hate to be that guy, but hoping for an overlooked car just isn't going to happen. There are enough people doing this as a profession that you just cant "sneak one through".

I just bought two kei trucks and am bringing them over to flip. I will have a really good write up in here to follow this process (and if you can make money at it.) At least from my observations the place to make good money is at the two ends (kei/really cheap) and at the top end (gtrs, supras, fd's , delica crystallines, etc). There is a ton of competition at the bottom end so margins are smaller and you need to market the cars alot cause most people have no idea what you are selling and these type of people are not usually "car people". The top end has less competition but you need a ton of capital (ok gtrs are around 13.5-14k to buy) you can sell fast for 19k. The middle ground (gts-t, non crystalite delicas, silvias, etc) seem to be the most erratic. I bid 2,000$ on a 87 Mark 2 Twin Turbo with 257,000 km , Yoshi thought it was a great bid so did Matt. Come to find out somebody dropped 4,500 on it (even then it only sold for nego). Same thing with the Gts-t 6,750$, went for 8,000.

Anyways, I will have a good write up on what it took for me to flip these two kei trucks in a couple months.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

13.5-14k for a R32 GTR? What are you looking at FOB?

People want mid 20's to 30's in Arizona for them right now.

The general rule of thumb for a normal car is 2,500 USD to get it to my port (Tacoma, WA also the closest port to Japan so take into account). Duty is 2.5% and there are other middling costs so estimate 500 at port. State costs are a toss up you will have to estimate on your own.

Here would be my estimate:
Car: 14,000
Broker Fee: 900
Shipping 1,100
Misc. Japan Costs: 500
Duty: 350
Misc US Port 500
Total 17,350

I would try and list this car for 20,000 and let it go for the first guy who offered 19,250 cash. You could hold out for more, but I need the investment to turn over quickly as I want to get more inventory over here. Also, with the gobs of dealerships that are getting into the same business you will only be able to beat them on price so its undercut city. Also, a 14,000 GTR will not be in the greatest condition. It will likely be a 3 (usual dings and dents, possibly faded or peeling paint, pray there is nor corrosion) with alot of kms (you would want it to have the T Belt replaced at least) and a C interior (C interior usually means replace the steering wheel, drivers seat, parking brake boot, shifter boot, new floor mats at a minimum).

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 5, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Wired out the money for the trucks today, dam my bank makes that a stressful experience.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

Mine was easy as could be buying a new car except right after she sent it she goes "you know if this is a scam you will never see the money again"

Ya they did that before we sent it out, I mean i know of at least three people that have done business with JCD and have nothing but good things to say but still it sets you on edge.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Repost from my Z thread:

I bought a 91' Suzuki Carry 4wd (w/ diff lock)

And a 91 Hijet Climber (4wd with diff lock)

We are bringing them over to resell, both are going to get their beds sanded down to metal and bed liner sprayed on (got a friend who does it professionally, will do cheap sprays with no warranty and we do all the prep). They both had their tires replaced at the port. Going to get a good wash and interior cleaning. Alot of little fixes (stuff I can do for free or super cheap). I think my buddy and I are going to list them for 4,000 each and settle for 3,600-3,700. I might end up keeping one though because kei truck.

My coworkers husband works for a rural fire department and showed them to her husband, who showed the fire chief. They are very interested in looking at them as the chiefs current truck (F -350 with everything) has trouble going up some of the back roads and calls he gets (too big). Also he feels the ford truck would be better served for the working guys and not on little calls. Hopefully, this is something they are down for cause he said at 4,000 each they would likely get 3 or 4 (could save alot on shipping that way). Also, having a fire department as a customer is good word of mouth for advert. Might need to do some modifications on the drivers seat for QOL but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Just wanted to verify that 25 yr. Old trucks are exempt from the 25% chicken tax, and I should file the 2.5% instead.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Isn't this chicken tax thing for manufacturers and has nothing to do with private individuals? I've never even seen anything relating to the chicken tax unless I was reading about the hilarious steps Ford would take to bring over Transits or why the Subaru Brat had jump seats.

From absolutely everything I've ever seen there is zero federal anything to do with vehicles over 25 years old besides having the importation done properly. Then depending on what state you are in doing their 'give me a title' dance to whatever their standards are. The Federal angle begins and ends at the port, once you have the vehicle itself that's on you and the state. Since your trucks are over 25 years old they are exempt from the other rules and regulations that states would impose on newer than 25 year kei trucks so out goes the 'mini truck' laws that vary by state. Especially since you imported them as real-deal motor vehicles and not weird industrial equipment like the newer kei trucks that get imported for yard work.

Anyway my Hijet is safe.

Glad the hijet is safe. I talked to Yoshi, he said it is very rare that a border patrol agent will classify the kei truck as a truck (subject to 25%) but it could still be possible (his words 98/100 they wont). Will just have to see how it turns out, I know that if we do get hit with the 25% it will make selling these kei trucks not worth the time as the margins will be microscopic.

Kaker, I looked a '93 (March build month) Supercharged Sambar with 4wd and a crystalline roof, would have brought it over for sale but the interior was a train wreck and that corrosion word showed up on the translation but not on the damage diagram. RIP

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a customs broker? Likely trying to move a over-25 year car from Livorno to Detroit if possible but Northeast if not.

Figured this might be a good place to ask.

https://wittymelon.wordpress.com/portfolio/diy-how-to-import-a-jdm-kei-class-mini-truck-into-the-u-s/

Substitute car for truck, the process is same as long as you are under the 2,500$ informal import.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Wow.

What would something like this one have run after import and shipping costs?

rule of thumb is 2500 - 3000 to get it stateside

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

Holy cow this almost seems like it’s too good to be true.

It's not, the hardest part for personal cars is finding a good example of what you want. I have been looking for a really clean 2 seater 300zx TT for four months and they just don't come up often or are in poo poo condition.

For cars to resell it's finding a good example and then lots of trial and error to not overpay but still win the bid, cause u can eat all your profit in a car by overbidding pretty easy.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

ARe y’all flipping or keeping or what? I mean for $3500-5k I do t see why I don’t need a diesel 4x4 in my life. But also I’m in TN any experience getting them from port to final destination? Also I would really love to find a niche flipping some and making a little bit of $

I am doing both, started looking for a personal car. Got a couple of other people interested we all went in on two kei trucks to see if we can't flip and make some profit on. I live 1 HR from Tacoma the cheapest and one of the largest ports in the country so no advice on Port to door.

If anyone does decide they want cheap shipping/road trip my garage is open to AI if they decide to ship to the west coast.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

My heart though, it belongs to this.

1984 Mitsubishi Delica. 4WD. Turbo diesel. 5 speed manual. Dark green w/ brown accents. Maroon cloth interior. Air Conditioning. Goddamn. I can not escape the siren call of JDM vans. I might seriously bid on this even though I'm supposed to be on a buying freeze.

that roof looks no beuno, and it looks like heavy corrosion on wheel wells.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Kaker, if there is corrosion on the auction sheet dont pay to have it inspected. Rust usually means surface rust, corrosion means its going through metal.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Delicas usually go for 6-7, 8.5 for the crystalline. 5.5 if you get lucky. Those are what I have found to be winning bids on the ones I have lost. I am keeping a Google doc on USS auctions that I win/lose so I have more data points to work with, they can tell you the winning but can't release it publically. I could invite you Kaker if you want.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

The EPA, nhts, and cbp forms only took three hours to fill out for both trucks. Not too bad to do yourself. The 25% chicken tax is for new or used trucks, I am going to play dumb and hope that the agent reviewing the forms on Monday does not care or notice. Wish me luck.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Talked to customs office today, 25% duty is being enforced. loving rip. This will eat a huge amount of the profit built in so I can say as of now these will be the first and the last kei trucks we import. Apparently I need to fill out an ISF form as well. The other confusing part is that CBP says that I need to take possession of the vehicles and bring them to the CBP office for inspection. Although my shipping company I think wont release them until Customs has signed off on the paperwork. Apparently I need to make some phone calls, and fill out some more paperwork.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

InitialDave posted:

Is there a configuration for one that wouldn't attract the tax? Like a camper body etc?

So the way i read the law is this: if its primary purpose is to carry goods it is hit with the 25% tax, if its primary purpose is to carry passengers it is 2.5% (for informal entries). From all the cases and exceptions it does not seem like this is a cut and dry rule. For example a Mazda MPV comes over, primary purpose is passengers 2.5%. The rear seats are all removed the CBP can say its now goods 25% tax (you would have to contest and get a private letter ruling , read :expensive to get). The other big one is Ford Transits, they are supposedly shipped over in a passenger van config, ford removes the seats and puts in cargo van stuff evading the 25% tariff.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Picked up Kei trucks at port yesterday, boy is that a magical place. Saw a train of four dodge trucks with three kei trucks each (one in the bed, 2 on the trailers). Saw a guy with 3 delicas (one that i bid on, gently caress that guy) and a defender. and saw a guy with a trailer that had a mint as gently caress r32 gtr, a gts-4, and a kei van (sambar i believe fourth gen) in the truck bed.

Mean while we hosed up our calculations and our trailer was short. So I trailered one and my buddy had the joy of driving at 60 for 3 hours back down to Vancouver in one. Will have a real update with actual costs and pics probably this weekend.

Have had a gently caress load of people come up and ask if they are for sale and how much, I keep thinking it can't be this easy. WA State titles come in 4-6 weeks so it will give me time to do cheap easy repairs.

Also I might be falling for the Daihatsu, it such a cool little nugget.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Goons, incoming effort post:

Here are the numbers to get a car into the country (for the PNW):
Kei Truck price FOB (unique situation): 2,500
New Tyres at Port: 300
Inspections on failed Bids: 110
Inter. Wire fee : 40
Shipper Freight Charges : 135
Domestic Wire Fee : 25
Broker Fee (long story about this): 721.50 (this is made up of 10+2 filing and bond, 25% duty, HMF, 7501 bond, broker fee, probably missing something here) (very bitter about this experience)
WA Plate and Reg : 244.40 (will depend on your state)
Offloading fee : 161 (this is a flat fee to use the port, does not matter if you import 1 car or 100 cars its per boat)
Suzuki needs a new thermostat : 30
Total : 4,266.90

There are things I am leaving off such as gas and incidentals. Here are my thoughts on the paperwork, the port I am using basically threatened to throw the book at me if I tried to file my own paperwork. I was told that it was possible that USDA would want to come inspect it that could be 3-4 weeks because the agents are busy etc etc, and I must file a 10+2 form (even though I am fairly certain informal entries do not require it) and look at that my 10+2 filing was late and that is a penalty up to 5,000 dollars (per form). So I went with a broker they recommended and basically (what felt like) bribed my way to getting the trucks through (suddenly everything was alright). I dunno maybe I am just whining about the cost of doing business, just feels slimy that my paperwork (the same poo poo that the broker filed) was getting blue balled because reasons.

Anyways that is my story about getting them into the country and registered, gonna do some cheap repairs and touch ups to the Daihatsu and Suzuki while I wait for title's. Have two buyers lined up (one put $500 down to hold it, the other keeps emailing every other day to see if I have titles yet) just need the state to get me titles (4-6 weeks).

Driving impressions, loving awesome. These both are sweet and hella fun to drive. 43 mpg, will do 60 (just barely, but they are also 4 speeds), everyone seems to love them, very capable in nasty terrain, all sorts of weird quirks (can only get heat on your feet , not in the top vents), parking is insanely easy to find.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 26, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Magnus Praeda posted:

:aaa: loving hell, that's almost as much as I'll pay to plate and register my '10 Equinox!

That sucks about the port and the broker. It really does sound like the "recommended" broker's throwing a kickback to the port paper pushers.

Washington is a sales tax state (no income tax), so I have to pay use tax of 8.5% on the first reg. It is only 65$ every year after that. My business partner is an Oregon resident (income tax no sales tax) and we are trying to register them down there to avoid the use tax but Oregon has some weird emissions testing rules and they are not exempt (Washington they are exempt). The Suzuki failed its first try, HC are too high. I think its cause the thermostat is stuck open and the engine isn't getting up to temp (he drove it all day and I could put my hand on the block and not burn my hand). We shall see though cause we don't want to put much money into it and don't really know how to gently caress with carbs so maybe we just tell Oregon buyers they have to get it to pass emissions.

BlackMK4 posted:

So.... post pictures :)

Going to take some good pics of the small repairs this weekend so you can see the before and after stuff will post then.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 26, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

InitialDave posted:

If any UK guys are interested, there's a UK Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX R4 for sale by someone on Kei Cars In The Park, it looks pretty straight and the £1250 they're asking seems good.

http://www.kkitp.com/index.php/sales/18863-tr-xx-avanzato-r4-for-sale

They've uploaded some pictures here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wic19z7eaifo115/AADWBJ4DcG2BIdnDuN1-BxNDa?dl=0

1998, gonna be a long wait

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So we tried to fix the thermostat on the Suzuki and poo poo has gone downhill fast.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the f6a motor with the e choke carb?

When it shipped over the thermostat was stuck open so it never heated up, the choke spring was not connected so the choke defaulted to closed at all times. It ran but was super rich.
So we replaced the thermostat and noticed the carb spring disconnected, we hooked it back up. It runs crazy rough now when we get it started but usually it wont do a cold start on its own. I know these are pretty specific but I thought I would ask.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

A few months ago my Acty would run like hot poo poo when I'd step on the gas. There are two solenoids in my carb that regulate air/fuel mixture and one went bad. Took me about 4 hours or so total (once I had all the parts) to take it out, disconnect all the little rods and replace both (the other one would go bad if I didn't probably) and have it back in the van.
It fixed my issue.

EDIT
The post I made in the 'What did you do to your ride' thread here in AI

Ya I think its a couple of things, the e choke solenoid is likely bad. The carb needs to be tuned, and possibly the secondary step up solenoid is bad. I am thinking I just roll the dice with a ebay special (150$) and hope it works, otherwise the two solenoids each are about 100$ from suzuki.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Well fellow goons I think I have done it,

I know that is not much to go off of but I believe I have fixed the Suzuki Carb. That is a picture of the the choke opening automatically when I poured hot water down the e-choke actuator. Here is what was wrong so you cannot see it but there is a large arm that connects to this e-choke actuator and the throttle cable, it has all in total 4 springs (two that tension a pivot gear, one that puts tension on the choke plate, and one that puts tension on the large mechanical arm)

Here is a side view of the arm (not the exact same model) none of the springs are visible

The spring controlling the choke was on backwards, and the spring putting return tension on the large arm was also backwards. After many hours my brain decided to finally visualize the motion that the arm travels in and notice that the springs were doing the opposite of what they were supposed to. Next I had to unfreeze the actuator, tested it by it self in boiling water and got it to move a tiny bit, soaked it in carb cleaner, then a thing of wd40, then boiled again, repeat. Finally got it to move through its entire motion. So bench test is working. Now I need to replace every vacuum line on it and will replace the vacuum lines on the ignition, emissions, and the couple of sensors on the truck for safe measure.

It will be back on the car in a week or so, hopefully everything works correctly. It will be nice to be out only 20$ for a roll of vacuum and a can of carb cleaner rather than 200 for a new carb (from china no less).

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-qV6rKDT6IYCZvM.htm

Bought another kei truck, main highlights five speed and diff locking (with 4wd), working on an Acty Van with 4wd and a 5 spd. Will update in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Femtosecond posted:

I see these guys all over Vancouver. Urban tradesmen and landscapers love them.

That is part of the group of people we are trying to sell to in the southern Vancouver (Washington). Unfortunately there is alot of educating that we are having to do because people really love their f350's super hyper army cab that gets 15 mpg cause they need to bring a some tools with them to work (the kei trucks bed is 4 ft by 6 ft) and "I dunno".

It will be a slow process, we have like four guys who have come back to look at them both 3 times now and they always have trouble overcoming whatever mental gymnastics they are doing in their head because its "foreign". Also these things are dirt cheap to insure. My company is insuring them at 40$ a month each for full coverage way above the state required limits.