Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
This is a really great post. Whats the classic market like over there? Ive always liked the way the early toyota centuries looked. It sounds like classics would be rare or maybe prohibitively expensive if they have high maintenance requirements to stay road worthy.

You also mentioned part of the import reqs you went through required it be a running example. Is there a process or way to bring a rolling chassis, or would that make it a show car only?

E: also this is a better write up than when jalopnik tried to tackle it, you should pitch an article if you have the time.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

InitialDave posted:

Note it's not just Japanese stuff that can be a good buy, people often source collector cars from Japan as they can be very well looked after, plus some oddities over the years like people repatriating Land Rover Discoveries to the UK.

Does that surprise you?

Lol no not at all.

What is their classic race car market like? Has that shot up like in the US?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I talked to a classic broker the other day and he said they quit doing that because you basically get blamed for everything so a lot of places have a policy of only topping up fluids and stopping leaks now.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I was reading that wiki and apparently dodge got a license to make the pajaro and called it the raider. That would also be a cool version to own and kinda rare. The pajaro and raider have way better engine options. Thats a pretty potent 4cyl from that era but it looks like it was the base option engine or close to it.

E:pic of the raider. If ive ever seen one i didnt recognize what it was.

http://i.imgur.com/RQG6Pz9.jpg

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 5, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Toyota eventually had the Land Cruiser being used as the official U.N. vehicle though, no?
Speaking of Land Cruisers the Jaguar dealership had an LX470 that had just been traded in that looked nice enough, also just had it's timing belt done. They didn't even have it cleaned up or detailed yet when I got there today. Turns out they had already sold it :v:. J80s are already well on their way to $$$ status and it feels like the J100s are starting to swing back around to gaining value rather than losing it. Maybe I should be looking at Lexus GXs too, still technically a Land Cruiser Prado and the towing capacity is there along with a beefy trailer hitch. Lots of them around too but gosh they are ugly.

There was also the Dodge Ram 50, Colt, Conquest, and the hilarious Challenger. All Mitsubishi.

Yeah that reminds me i have always wanted a widebody starion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion

E:holy poo poo not only are these rare now they are going for 15k

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 5, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Dannywilson posted:

IDK what kind of universe you're living in, but unmolested Starquests are going for under 8 all day, and under 3 for ones that have something like the front air dam missing, because some parts are unobtainium. I could see an all original #'s with the rare lovers, a perfect interior, and a perfect service history going for >10k, but yeah anyone asking 15k is out of their loving mind and are not going to sell it with any speed.

I just did a quick search and nothing popped up at all on autotrader. They only 2 i could find for sale were both 15k listed. They did look like really clean examples. Im sure you could find a better deal but its slim pickings.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Will these cars ever qualify as classic? Like if you bring over something from the 70's can you register it as an antique or classic? Sorry if you mentioned this already i dont remember.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

It would suck if they were excluded i was just curious if it allowed for that. The california carb registration is weird to me. I guess it makes sense on a car from the 90's but it really doesnt if its from the 80's. Kinda sucks.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah a lot of 70's cars with fuel injection only get saved because they can slap a carb on there instead. If thats not an option a lot are going to get junked with an ecu failure. Its a shame this isnt tied to oem part availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

So why not register as antique in cali? In texas the way it works a classic gets a green slip to exempt emissions but antique is exempt from even being looked at. The only real difference between the two here is an antique cant be your primary. But even then a cop really doesnt have any means to argue you've gone to work everyday in it. I've never heard of it being revoked even from people that daily them and rack up tickets. My experience is with texas cops though, they really couldnt care less here. Regardless its so hard to prove i cant imagine the restrictions are enforceable there either.