Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Curious whether the same import delays are affecting you guys in US / other countries?

I've got a JDM import on the way to Australia which I got on Auction in early Feb. It spend 2 months on the docks in Nagoya, before boarding a car carrier. It spent about a week with a day in each port of Japan, boarding and dropping off cargo, before taking a 3 week voyage to Australia, to it's first port... And has sat off the coast of Brisbane for over a month, waiting for a spot to drop of it's cars. It's now been at the next port... For 10 days and counting... With several more ports on the way to my home city.

Basically the reason for this is the influx of 'new' car manufacturers (lol BYD/MG) being really lax with their biosecurity, leaving cars in grass fields, and them turning up in Australia with all sorts of bugs and snails on them - meaning out strict quarantine has to work overtime to clean them. In one case, they sent an entire ship back to China.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/quarantine-crisis-deepens-thousands-cars-stranded/

All I can really do now is be patient. ETA was updated to June 7th, but I think it's going to be a bitlonger.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

KakerMix posted:

Sold the Caldina.

Such a cool and rare car. I'll bet the new owner will be happy. I've only ever seen one here in Aus and we have alot of JDM imports.

Speaking of Aus JDM imports, mine finally arrived... Longest 6 months of my life. And I couldn't be happier.

A 2006 Toyota Century. One of the most exclusive cars sold in Japan in its day, sold to high profile executives and the likes of the Prime Minister and Emperor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1erJ1eVmLo

...Now being driven around by a drongo and his bogan family down under.

This one is silver and is one of only 120 made in this colour over its entire 20 year manufacturing run.

It's full of a bunch of amazing and quirky details, such as massaging / heating and cooling seats, a million different interior lights and mirrors, lights, a airline style wooden tray table and the centre of the front seat folds in half to allow the rear passenger to stretch their legs out.

It's also Japanese as hell, with lace powered curtains, cigarette lighters in every door and a V12 engine that is so quiet you'd think it was an electric car.

I'm pretty enamoured with it so far, particularly as everything works for an older car and the condition is amazing. It's quite a hoot dropping the kids off at school in their own private limo.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Aww yeah. Beautiful car, and love the intake / yellow fogs. Had a 4AGZ powered AW11 for awhile and it was an absolute hoot. My current AW11 is N/A and it's fun, but I miss the added boost.

Assuming you're yanks, how do you guys get on with adjusting to RHD?

One good thing about Australia is we're naturally RHD, so importing cars here is a really easy transition.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 17, 2024

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not urgent, but does anyone in here have preferred vendors for JDM parts, particularly transmissions?.

I've been using amayama.com and partsouq.com for new OEM parts, or at least trying to find if things are still available for my Century.

They also help with finding the part numbers. More esoteric things I then try eBay to see if something is available more locally, or shared with another platform. Failing that. I try Yahoo Auctions through zenmarket.com.