Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

InitialDave posted:

Actually, that's more a country-of-manufacture thing than a country-of-use thing. Most cars in the UK will have the same "lights on left, wipers on right" layout you're used to. It's just as bad for us when Japanese/Korean stuff doesn't.

Down here in the colonies we get a bit of everything. Generally everything Euro or American is lights left, wipers right and everything Japanese is the opposite. Except when things get funky, like say when Subaru first started selling diesel Legacy's down here. See those, we simply got UK spec cars, which meant RHD but lights left, wipers right, unlike every single other Subaru sold here.

For sale locally, talk about a HI-jet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I drive a 2006 Nissan Fuga, which is the JDM version of the Infiniti M45. Almost all of the electronics are different from the US car, so you get a bunch of Japanese on the centre stack and of course the screen functions are entirely in Japanese. Even the digital clock on the screen is set by GPS, but I can't change the timezone away from Japan to get it right here, but I can turn it off at least, so there's that.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Patrol's can make a lot of sense if you live somewhere with cheap and plentiful supplies of RB motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYq5VZP3S8

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
KakerMix, around here flat towing your car behind your RV isn't that big a thing, but for those that do, the Jimny and Samurai were incredibly popular. Seems with all the snowbirds in Florida could it be worth your time hitting that market by offering them ready to go with the flat tow gear?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
One of the Aussie posters can probably chime in with more detail, but yeah, their government used to be pretty tough on used imports in order to protect their local vehicle manufacturing industry. Which now doesn’t exist anymore, hence looser import laws.

Edit: just had a quick search and like anything the current Aussie government touches it looks like the changes have been a total shitshow, so who knows.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 29, 2019

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ethics_Gradient posted:

OTOH it's pretty rare to see a Delica with north of 300k... I think I've seen like... two.

In NZ at least Delica’s were so cheap and plentiful that if they ever needed major work (head gaskets and rust being the main killers) it was usually cheaper and easier to junk it and buy another in better condition. Or if you just needed any van, we’re spoiled for choice with more reliable LiteAce and HiAces. That probably contributes to the lack of high mileage ones. My brother in law drove L300’s (plain work truck spec) for years as a courier, his last one had somewhere north of 600,000km on its second engine after being thrashed to within an inch of its life, bouncing off the limiter every shift, all day every day because company vehicle.

Also they still sold work truck spec here brand new until around 2015 for as little as around US$13k, so yeah no one bothered keeping old ones alive. Same platform since 1986, Mitsubishi learning some things from US van builders there!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

everdave posted:

Pour one out for my Homy...

14k actual miles. Turbo diesel 4wd. Just won a few minutes ago

We had an NA diesel 2WD Homy at one of my jobs as a people mover, hauling kids at a school. Only ever had to feed it consumables, and it just kept on trucking. Hilariously slow though, and when loaded on the open road you had to be careful not to hit the kick down switch because all that did was increase the revs way out of the power band and slow the thing down.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

So weird to see cigarette advertising, and branded packs and HOLY poo poo $2.99 A PACK?! Pack of 20’s here is pushing NZ$30 or US$19.

Anyway the 180kmh speed limit is still a thing, agreed to by the automakers to avoid regulation, same as the now dropped 276hp limit. I drive a 2006 Nissan Fuga 450GT which is the JDM Infiniti M45 and it indeed hits a limiter at 180kmh while the Infiniti will do 240. Thankfully they dropped the 100kmh chimes back in the 80’s or early 90’s, although I’m pretty sure I can set single chime warning still if I dig through the Japanese menus.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I did laugh a little at “kept up with traffic”, of course it did, its a regular car.

Forgot to add on the 180k limit - when the R35 GT-R first came out, JDM versions used the navigation to figure out when the car was on a Japanese race track, at which point it would ignore the limiter.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

That paint! :swoon: :fap:

I'm not a fan of those taillights, but more because they just look kinda cheap. The rest of it is amazeballs.

Those lights are common down here, and I know what you mean about cheap looking aftermarket lights, but those ones actually look pretty good IRL, on a truck in that nice condition you’d hardly guess they’re not factory.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

Curious how those are wired up/work, since they appear to be two full head units rather than a head and add-on.

Having dealt with many JDM imports, the answer to “how are they wired?” is often “hilariously”.

My dad has an ex-Japan X3, and as well as the stock in dash radio and single CD with seperate 6 stack, we discovered a parallel wired DIN headunit buried in the passenger footwell. Only noticed cos it got turned on one day. I just turned it off and backed away.

Their mobile TV and DVD player setups also often result in antenna wiring all over the place.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

I've been wanting an Estima too, but only the supercharged AWD bright green 5 speed manual dual moonroof version :colbert:

I'm fairly certain those exist in Japan though I'm not positive.

Far as I’ve ever been able to tell, the internet cobbled up this combo, it never really existed. Supercharged manuals exist, AWD manuals exist, supercharged AWD manuals don’t. Even the wide body versions are fairly rare in Japan, the narrower, shorter (for tax reasons) Lucida and Emina versions reign supreme.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Quick pro tip regarding JDM headunits. I’m guessing most of the stuff you guys can bring in is too old, but if you find a headunit with HDD storage, be sure and check it out, good chance the Japanese PO left you a motherlode of J-pop hits to enjoy cruising to! In my old job we bought an 11 seater van (like a 2002 Nissan Caravan) for hauling school kids around, and they loving loved that poo poo.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Anyone catch this?

https://youtu.be/Op4JWf25uus

Wow. Sunglasses suggest jacked up used JDM junkers that are almost certainly all hiding catastrophic secrets isn’t the only thing this dude is selling. Everything about all of those screams run, run far far away.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

TheBacon posted:

That wool interior is loving sweet. I think you can also option a Range Rover with wool and that’s about it?

Looks like all the British marques have dabbled. Aston, Bentley have used it a little and the McLaren GT uses it extensively.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kinda surprised the Sera didn't get some decent alloy wheels from the factory, it looks pretty bland with plastic wheel covers.

Also wanna see pics of that Lancia Delta in the background of those port shots :swoon:

Would have varied by trim level, these were what they got. In this part of the world we got them on Corollas so if you wanted you could probably find a set.

Also pictured, weird Aussie spec grill.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

I'd be curious to know if it was that specific Sera rather than all Seras. Regular Car Reviews dude is not a car person, he's a writer that likes cars and will say things like 'straight 6s are inherently unbalanced' (wtf) which straight up goes against just basic balance. Ergo this Sera has issues with defrosting, all Seras have issues instead of this specific 25+ year old car might be different. It does make sense, but I haven't heard of any issues besides that single video so, you know.

The only complaint I ever heard was the heat/AC struggles a bit at the extremes just because of the massive expanse of glass in the cabin. Agree that RCR often gets stuff weirdly wrong.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Turbo Avenirs are awesome sleepers. AWD, SR20DET wagon. Only downside is auto only from memory. A mate had one, they loving rip.

Edit: it’s possible to covert to the sweet quad headlight front:

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 26, 2020

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Under 15,000km, that’s barely run in. Common work truck here, the sort of thing that does half a million km or more without dramas. Like any commercial truck, they come in any shape you imagine. Double cabs, tippers, box trucks, refrigerators, there’s even a van version that has a Hiace van body awkwardly grafted on the back. This is a newer facelift version but it’s the same thing. Check out that gutter line!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Told you it was awkward! :newlol:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Arishtat posted:

I'll bet it lines up better when the van is full of cargo.

Rated for 2000kg payload or 3000kg braked trailer, but I still don’t think it lines up any better.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
If you can’t just hammer and bend the bar back, it’s just box sections, you could get a replacement welded up for not much.

Those fogs will be rusted out inside for sure.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I had a JDM 2000 Nissan Terrano, not a spec of rust anywhere but the aftermarket lights were totally rusted out internally. Didn’t even bother trying to fix them, just replaced with an LED light bar.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Yeah, apart from rust on the models you’re looking at, remember that the Hiace is a commercial work vehicle, it’s expected to have the absolute piss thrashed out of it daily by tradies and couriers. Just had a look at my local listings, the top 10 highest mileage ones for sale are all over 500,000km with the current champ being a 2011 former airport shuttle passenger van version with 780,000km and it still looks pretty mint. All of them clearly still have plenty of life left.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for dimensions, it's surprisingly hard to find bed dimensions for a lot of this stuff. Keep having stupid thoughts about something like this as a race car hauler.

You can’t rely on the beds being consistent, some may be factory but others may be aftermarket. I suspect these Dynas may be slightly too small, you want the next size up.

This is a US spec Isuzu NPR but a great setup.

https://youtu.be/-xJENOQPcjE

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I looked on autotempest and found a dumper, fashion yourself some ramps and you might be able to make it work. Too much money though I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Isuzu-NPR-dump-truck-/224392902049

I bet you could find an actual flatbed car hauler in Japan for way less as long as you were willing to put up with RHD and the parts situation. But given they’re commercial trucks and you’re not daily driving it, you’re not going to be hammering it and any wait for parts isn’t going to be a problem.

Now this is far too new for you and also rocks half a million km but hey! You’d be up and rolling.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
My 2006 Nissan Fuga (JDM Infiniti M45) ha the same button and yeah, traffic info. Mine works like another radio preset button, you tune to the local traffic announcement frequency, store it, then hit it when you want to hear the updates. I don’t know if it has any auto override features like European RDS traffic info does where the broadcaster can interrupt whatever radio you’re listening to.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Charles posted:

But it isn't always, depending on the manufacturer.

Even manufacturers mix it up, depending on which market the models come from.

The Europeans are universally indicators on the left.
Ford Australia are on the right. European Fords like Mondeo and Focus on the left.
Holden Commodore was on the right, their smaller cars would be on the left if they were Opel/Vauxhall sourced, on the right if Daewoo.
The Japanese mostly get it right, on the right, except for a few weirdos, like diesel Subaru’s, which for this market were UK spec, so on the left while every other Subaru were in the right! I’m pretty sure the older Honda Accord wagons and coupes which were US built also got it right.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

everdave posted:

We all want to see pics of the Integra!

I don’t post everything I win here but snagged this Caravan last night - that roof rack! I love it. I’m goi g to have to decide between this and the hiace cruising cabin to keep for hopefully getting the kids into camping and outdoors. 5 speed, 4wd, turbo diesel.

Having driven variants of both vans, the Hiace feels and drives like a more modern vehicle, as you’d expect being a generation newer. The Hiace will be more reliable and probably easier to find parts for. Not that the Nissan is unreliable as such, but y’know, Toyota commercial vehicle.

One trap for these cab forward vans. They can easily catch stone chips above the windscreen, which left untreated can result in rust around the windscreen frame. Delicas are the worst, but something to keep an eye on for a keeper.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Clean unmodified manual? Sell it fast before whatever curse or evil spirits it clearly must have get you.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

:stare: Do you guys not do biosecurity over there? That poo poo doesn’t fly here. Either it’s steam cleaned and fumigated to approved standards at export, or when that turned up at the ports here, the government will happily do it for you, and charge you heavily.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I always figured the easy way would be leave the factory harness intact as much as you can and build pigtails to extend.

For the hard stuff, maybe the "firewall" pressing has unpunched cutouts, probably not tho.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ahh I thought you were talking about the older vans. It's only going to be even more complex on newer vans. Worth also pointing out that while the first gen Previa does exist in Japan as the Estima, the vastly more common ones are the Estima Emina and Lucida models, which are like 100mm narrower and also shorter than "wide body" version. I don't think those exist in LHD at all since they exist for Japanese tax class reasons.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

Didn't MCM have one of these on one of their trips to Japan?

fake edit: they did!

It's now back home with them in Australia, they even drove it on an errand in this weeks video. Worth watching their series on it to learn what they did to fix it up right.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I think he's a dickhead but also so is Youtube. What are they objecting to?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ahh in that case what the gently caress he expecting.

I don't own guns, live in a different country and think America has a gun problem, but I do watch Demolition Ranch. What I like is even though I'm sure he has vastly different politics to me, he shuts the gently caress up about it, seems like a good dude, is a good, personable presenter, and just sticks to shooting up dumb poo poo in a field. He does mention demonetisation sometimes, but more being careful about it, not being a whiny prick about it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
2 doors best doors?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

harperdc posted:

Forgot one :colbert:

Ugh, I did totally blank on this. Also ignored the mini trucks like Jimny, Pajero Mini etc too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
If you get the Caldina, try and find yourself some spare hatch handles, the plastic bit above the license plate. You know the Camry bumper dent? Yeah it's like that, every Caldina left here has a broken one, including my sisters (non-turbo).

Eg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever gone with Full Stupid Exhaust (Tubi, etc.) on a V12 Century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sxZmdg1vM