Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh subscribed.

So when you say you're looking to try out being a dealer-lite - if a goon is interested in using your services, like now-ish are you ready to talk business or you just talking about it for now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

However it truly isn't that bad assuming you have the time to delicate to it.

Yeah that's the kicker, time-sensitive communication can be a problem for me. I guess I'll see what you have coming off the boat, but you've posted a few examples I'd be interested in. (Kei car, turbo, rwd preferred or awd, minty, gotta be manual).

So about the trailer that barely fit your narrow kei vans...I'm guessing it had fold down ramps that either weren't adjustable or didn't have enough adjustment?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

God drat that rugger is cool as a fan

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats on that az-1!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Those horns though!
:captainpop:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That first one looks like a Taurus with fetal alcohol syndrome.

If you want one, just get a Merkur Scorpio that was sold here. Different cars but equally lovely and they look the same.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I saw one on the road a couple months ago. It looked clean and maintained. The only thing I thought was "Wow....a running and driving Scorpio. They must be a masochist."

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is the most consistently entertaining thread in AI and goddammit when I get my poo poo together this year I'm going to import something from Japan for FUN and profit can be damned!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I showed my wife the Hilux Surf and she said:

1. The kids would love that.
2. That is so cool.
3. Look at the mirrors!
4. You have to get me one of those.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Hands off they are all mine :mad:

Have you ever seen any pop up with a 22R or other gas motor? Are the gas or diesel more desirable at auction?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

If you are going to buy something from japan you better get diesel unless it is super special for a hilux

It's not super special... It's super common and you can get parts at NAPA. :v:

No, I get the diesel thing for resale but I really like this first gen Surf for myself, and a 22R means I'm familiar with it and most parts will be off-the-shelf in the USA. Anyway I'm done, I have to walk away before I look too hard and bid on something.... I've got a stupid house to finish and sell first. Thanks for the info, Kaker.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

For the money to land one, you might as well get a US one from a rust-free state. There's plenty of ~$5000 good condition stick 4Runners in this podunk county, I imagine you could find something better in a more populous part of California.

I have my doubts that I could find something both minty and well-maintained for anywhere near that number (and I'm on the east coast, the land of zero maintenance done). Also fender mirrors, rad decal packages, and the RHD novelty. Hell maybe the diesel isn't that bad, I'm just not very familiar with troubleshooting them and know how expensive diesel specific mechanics are.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^Yeah, that was my main question. You said you've driven it quite a bit... Have you lost coolant?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's a lot of R12.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

The displacement was clearly listed, I just missed it this was a few months ago I had just started. It has a v8 badge on the back.

I am happy with it now that I see it. Yes the 6 is the more desirable over here. Super low miles. I paid $945.

I will post pics today

How are you getting it from port?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lol. What port is it coming in to?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did you find out what us port it's coming in to?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm not horribly far from Savannah. If I can haul/store the car temporarily for you, let me know.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's certainly no trouble, I have enough space to store it indoors for a while.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So you're saying there's a chance

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I wish they came in more interesting colors.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is very neat.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Brilliant outcome.

A very unexpected outcome.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

Also got a shipping request and it probably is not going to make sense to go get the car myself. For a max $450 I can have it in my driveway.

That is extremely reasonable. Also your estimate can't account for unknowns like blowing an ancient tire in BFE somewhere.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Psh, you know you'd rather sleep with the cars.

:yikes:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

4 lug duallies, lmao

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm gonna guess that the spring loaded clamp had to do with a fitted tarp or "troop carrier" type removable cover for the bed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

PayPal sent me a thing asking for my SSN. I assume it was legit, but I deleted it cause hell no LMAO.

I quit Facebook a couple years ago, but yeah there are car-related pages that I miss a lot.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Met a guy today who had an extended cab 4wd V6 1990 Isuzu Pickup. (Sold in the Japanese market as the Rodeo, which is actually what the guy called it) Granted he bought the truck new in the US... But that would be a pretty sweet pickup to find as a minty import that avoids the chicken tax.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I read that number off the Export Certificate directly from Japan, not a number I made up. Curb weight reads as 1730 kg, 3814 lbs.

I don't think he's arguing with you, just noting that curb and gross weight rating are two different numbers (gross being basically, the axles can be loaded to this total weight, curb weight plus all passengers and cargo), but, still unlikely to be high enough to be classified as a commercial vehicle in California.

GVWR is a BS number in many vehicles, to meet or beat a classification. My work truck is stickered by the up-fitter at 25999 to avoid CDL requirements, my trailer is stickered at 9900 (despite double 5200 lb axles) to avoid commercial status.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I really hope all that swag in the back makes it across the pond!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

All of his pics work for me in AMERICA

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I don't know why these Suzukis have the AC like that. Like I said I went out in our Carry and messed with it, figured out that the AC light, compressor and electric fan all turn off if the AC switch isn't on recirculate. Doesn't matter how anything else is set, if that switch isn't on recirculate the AC is not on. The controls are identical between our Carry and this Every is how I deduced.

My best guess would be that given the vintage of the design and the (tiny) size of all components, the AC is reasonably only functional in recirculate mode.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Blacknose posted:

I haven't shared my recent jdm import purchase in this thread because it really, really does not fit that type (also to be fair it was done through an importer such as yourselves, not by me).

God I love 4x4 vans and wish I had a reason to own one though.

I mean there's trucks, vans, sedans, and coupes represented here..... WTF did you buy?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tops on those are usually fiberglass, and based on the corners I'd say that's what it is. Looks like grody-ness from long term storage.

Edit - the front part looks like it might be a pop-up (edit edit, or maybe just a solid fiberglass bit to add headroom for the sleeper area under it), the rear roof is probably aluminum.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 26, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

They guy is a weird combination of not having enough mechanical knowledge to maintain a nearly 30yo vehicle, and apparently unwilling to have a mechanic look at it.

That being said, my neighbor at my old house who was at least somewhat a car guy called me over because his "serpentine belt was smoking, and this is the third one I've put on there", on his V6 RS lookalike Camaro. I pretty immediately figured out that the alternator was locked up, and he said "oh man I'm gonna have to apologize to the guys at O'Reilly, I cussed them the last time, and told them they gave me the wrong belt." :suicide:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If they do insist on "originals" you can probably get any office supply type place to make copies that will pass. I would really hesitate to send out your originals that you definitely will be hosed if lost.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gently caress that might be the best truck yet

Edit- quoting for new page

KakerMix posted:

poo poo yeah we've got 5 (!) that are going to be here in a couple weeks. Rugger, Rasheen, Beat, Alto Works and Pajero Mini. Very good thing we've sold most of our inventory in the last few weeks as we needed the room!

Also, DOCK PICS

MAD DOGZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

I am going to there will be pics and videos! Just want to make sure hydraulics full of oil before i burn anything up.

Check where the boom bolts to the turntable, and where the bucket attaches to the boom before you uncradle it. They should have torque marks on the heads to make sure they haven't moved.

Also I would suggest using the lower controls to pre-flight a complete rotation before getting in it.