Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Awesome post, thanks for the real world info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

The other thing that did bother me about Japanese Classics was that they didn't test the A/C system (it was in working order, just needed a charge), the tires were not actually road safe imho (dry and cracked) while also being a bit out of balance. The front rotors were out of round and the front pads and rear shoes could have used replacement. Maybe I'm a bit more of a sperg when it comes to that but I'd assume if someone is buying something from me that they wouldn't want to have to so after-purchase repairs, you know?

This seems completely unacceptable to me? I would be very upset if I was paying them for inspection and they don't test AC and the tires are rotted

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Registration finally went through for Japan Car Direct, time to start searching.

Could make sense to import some of these, not sure how good of shape they're in but it's good to see they do pop up and go for reasonable-ish values.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHH7Y3BFUGWPdrV.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHj6YPCmOMPXCzY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHR63onlLrDrQ0n.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHoZcFW6h9MXTOn.htm

Where does it show what these sold for?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Doesn't look like any of then sold. Usually a couple hours or so after the auction ends it will pop up with a 'sold for' with the price. All of these don't show anything so it means they didn't sell.
I haven't been able to figure out why sometimes it shows a bid and that the car didn't sell and why sometimes it looks like nobody bid at all because clearly those cars should have had some bids.
Can say for certain though that they didnt sell this time.

I found the way to search past listings, and looking at past Porsche listings like almost none of them sold, except I see this one that apparently sold for only $7k? That can't be right can it?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-54JqfXFCbn8MK.htm

Edit: D'oh totally blanked out on the whole 25 year thing.

everdave fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 10, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow I wasted too much time on JCD today. Saw an Acty that sold for $140. Some
Beats that sold for $1400.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I mean eventually I'd like to get to that point, a sort of AI style (brown manual wagons, rad vans, etc) import dealership thing. There are a lot of cool stuff that's just sitting over there and I've already got 3 of these kei vans. I guess I am already on my way :toot:

I am interested in working with you in bringing over Land Cruiser / Defender product to flip if you are interested, my goal would be to make a profit.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

That's a tough market to get into. Lot of people have the same idea, Lost the two I have bid on (6,800 bid).

I hear ya, but then we see that Cruiser that just sold for less than 4, I couldn't do but one or two a month anyways.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I might play with the idea of a Landcruiser if the opportunity presents itself but

is the thing. Skylines were first, Landcruisers/Land Rovers are happening now and there is a slow burble of Soarers and their types that are gaining popularity. The 4WD Hiaces and Delicia's are a thing too, but a little less so than the others. Likewise with kei vehicles it seems to be exclusively the trucks since they are so cheap and useful. I wont even bother doing the JDM street-racer angle because that market is crowded and I don't care enough about that style cars to do it justice. Maybe the Landcruiser thing but there are already lots of people doing it justice.

Well I'm down with whatever if you want to give it a go. I too want to stay away from boy-racer stuff. But also if we could jump on any overlooked Land Cruisers that would seem to be easy flip.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I hate to be that guy, but hoping for an overlooked car just isn't going to happen. There are enough people doing this as a profession that you just cant "sneak one through".

I just bought two kei trucks and am bringing them over to flip. I will have a really good write up in here to follow this process (and if you can make money at it.) At least from my observations the place to make good money is at the two ends (kei/really cheap) and at the top end (gtrs, supras, fd's , delica crystallines, etc). There is a ton of competition at the bottom end so margins are smaller and you need to market the cars alot cause most people have no idea what you are selling and these type of people are not usually "car people". The top end has less competition but you need a ton of capital (ok gtrs are around 13.5-14k to buy) you can sell fast for 19k. The middle ground (gts-t, non crystalite delicas, silvias, etc) seem to be the most erratic. I bid 2,000$ on a 87 Mark 2 Twin Turbo with 257,000 km , Yoshi thought it was a great bid so did Matt. Come to find out somebody dropped 4,500 on it (even then it only sold for nego). Same thing with the Gts-t 6,750$, went for 8,000.

Anyways, I will have a good write up on what it took for me to flip these two kei trucks in a couple months.

Will look forward to your write up!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Wired out the money for the trucks today, dam my bank makes that a stressful experience.

Mine was easy as could be buying a new car except right after she sent it she goes "you know if this is a scam you will never see the money again"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sold for $1,860

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is it just me or does that Subaru look way newer than a 1980, I mean if you told me it was a 99 from the outside I would believe you

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rule of thumb is 2500 - 3000 to get it stateside

Holy cow this almost seems like it’s too good to be true.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
ARe y’all flipping or keeping or what? I mean for $3500-5k I do t see why I don’t need a diesel 4x4 in my life. But also I’m in TN any experience getting them from port to final destination? Also I would really love to find a niche flipping some and making a little bit of $

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

What about bad condition / non running cars? Say I was looking for a straight chassis to build a track toy (89-91 civic for example). Any deals there? How much worse is it to import a car that isn't drive on / drive off? Ohio is a wasteland of overpriced rust buckets or mad tyte jdm brah just needs a distributor 250k miles garbage.

Not for resale fixer uppers worth the effort?

Well I have not imported anything but you are looking at $3k minimum to get something here and that is if you practically get it for free purchase price. If a decent body is worth $3-5k I’m sure you could find something easily.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That wagon looks great congrats

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

So we tried to fix the thermostat on the Suzuki and poo poo has gone downhill fast.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the f6a motor with the e choke carb?

When it shipped over the thermostat was stuck open so it never heated up, the choke spring was not connected so the choke defaulted to closed at all times. It ran but was super rich.
So we replaced the thermostat and noticed the carb spring disconnected, we hooked it back up. It runs crazy rough now when we get it started but usually it wont do a cold start on its own. I know these are pretty specific but I thought I would ask.

I’m drunk so take it with a grain of salt but an engine is an engine. Air fuel spark break it down what is causing? Rule stuff out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Cool article about that Duncan Imports place:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/we-visit-duncan-imports-countrys-largest-classic-japanese-domestic-market-car

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
that is amazing man

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That owns so hard awesome

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Quad Cab is a total legit thing I hear in the south for a crew cab pickup

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Is it an interesting enough car to import? Seemed like the odd one out to me.

Usually you see people importing cars because they fit a need that isn't met by local automobiles (ie. No 4wd adventure vans = import a Delica!)

I also spotted a Hilux Surf, but it wasn't very interesting so I didn't take a photo of it.

that is very interesting to lots of us weirdos

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Those are awesome!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Would you mind watching a few to see what they are selling for? Just curious, if they are a good bit cheaper than the typical poo poo around here it might be worth a shot for me to keep an eye out for one.

They are cheaper and better conditon/less piss/no mouse damage etc... from the ones I’ve seen but like Kaker said the auctions do t bother with pics of the inside living areas so who knows. I’ve seen 1 or 2 recently for sale brought over and they looked great but they were already in America.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
that surf is freaking cool man!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Does that 4-Runner really have 18k km? If so you could make a fortune on that.

Edit: please let me know, this is huge - want to go half and half?

everdave fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 8, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh poo poo I just now saw that ambulance, it's perfect for a camper conversion......Did it sell yet?

Click on any of the pics it will take you to the auction page, starts in 11 hours

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Kaker let me know what that 4runner sold for if you have a way to see

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
SUPER CASUAL that is so good

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This means there are OEM Super Casual decals out there somewhere

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I cannot find any "super casual" decals. urgh :argh:

I spent way too much time last night looking myself. I’d imagine a Japanese fluent friend would have better luck

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
THat seems shady AF but if you know anything about car auctions here in America not surprising

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
When it comes to cars and money who knows man I worked in automotive a long time if you ain’t part of the game you were usually getting screwed.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Like the main used car guy near me is a friend and I’d help him with anything but I sure as hell would t buy a car from him

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

It really galls me that BaT doesn't have a clear policy asking for it. I understand that maybe their staff is not 100% knowledgeable. And that maybe they have a legal involvement that really doesn't let them get in any trouble.
But goddamn, you're routinely selling 100k+ cars and still don't explicitly forbid all these obvious <25yo gray imports? It's a bad look for the site's reputation.

That honestly makes me look past it on to a *looks around for CT* an Integrale. Does JCD work with non-Japanese marques?

I've seen a lot of auctions removed (well not a lot but I can recall a few) where it was obvious that was illegal as gently caress to have here and would stand a good chance of being seized and crushed, that were only removed because commenters called them out

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That van owns. I beg NO demand pics of it actually making ice I gotta see this

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
dang that Delica looks BOSS!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Man i tried to tell you, i wanted in on that 4runner

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I know, but it wasn't the right time and I wasn't into it. I'll see about what that oil leak on the diesel one I posted is though, hoping for valve cover gasket and not rear main. Also taking a look at an AZ-1, doesn't look too hot but if there isn't rot then that isn't anything a wrap can't fix.

Ha ha I know but but just remember I told you this was all the moneys! Maybe another one come along. Y’all were talking about these engines weren’t no blah blah we would have made out like bandits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Senor P. posted:

Just wondering but how do the Nissan Patrol's compare to the land cruiser? Were'nt they pretty comparable in terms of style and ruggability?

I mean Patrols are super cool but so limited in production and years it is really no comparison except for what like late 60’s. So yes no comparison.