Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does anyone know anything about the Mitsubishi "jeeps"?

Would it be worth importing one instead of getting a Wrangler or are they garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Looks like they are body-wise based off the old flat-fender Jeeps which explains why they look 'off' to my not-Jeep-knowing eyes. I think they are pretty neat, plus you can get a diesel which is all the rage, right?

Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Type_73_Light_Truck

I actually like the later version better, have you seen one of these yet? Apparently it's based on a Pajero which I have no idea if that's a good thing or not.

The first gens look really cool too tho.

An alternative to the crazy pricing of Wranglers here would be nice, but I dunno if I'd end up spending more on one of these in the long run anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

I want an R32 GTR but not at 25k. A shame cause I'll prob never get to own one but I'll just remind myself they are heavy and I probably won't like it as much as I think I will. That's how that works right

I've ridden in a few back in the early 90's and tbh I was way more impressed with the Pulsar at the time. It was light and nimble and handled incredibly, plus it was the coolest hot hatch I had ever seen. The skylines were heavy and you felt it. It sounds dumb to me now because of how popular the r32 is, but at that time they were like the Mustang of Japan, and the turbo RX7's were the Camaros, drag racing all the time so they were no big deal. I just don't see them as anything special because of that I guess. If I was going to spend that kind of coin on a Japanese import I'd get 70's Skyline or a Panda or something.

Or do what that other guy did and buy a 911 turbo.

[e] Hey Kaker, is there a way to see past sales like on ebay? I'd like to see what the average selling price is for one of those Mitsu Jeeps.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 7, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Aren't the gearboxes a frequent failure point one them? Like people say they will break, it's just a question of when?

Yeah I remember someone here talking about that, I think it was Cat Terrist. Saying how they were great cars BUT....

They were great when they were new under warranty but I don't think I'd own one now. I also remember the engine bay being a cramped nightmare, not exactly a DIY friendly car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why are a bunch of the cars login only? There are 11 Supras, all login.

[edit] Oh hell yes

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 8, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

They are cheap but 2023 would be the first year. Also remember that you cant even have it in the country until the 25 years has passed. So it would have to spend its life in a Canadian storage unit until then (I don't even know if a non Canadian citizen could import something into Canada).

I am definitely going to be buying three or four around 2020 though and holding until '23. They would sell like crazy here in the PNW.

CT is in AUS so I doubt he has to wait for anything, kinda nice having the steering wheel on the proper side for your country as well.

I would like to get a Honda City turbo for nostalgia reasons since it was the first car I ever owned:

It's so :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like the older Soarers are cheap, I had one of those too.

Also had one of these which were actually pretty rare:

4AGE FWD. The interior was loving awesome. I actually took those wheels to the states with me and put them on a AW11 MR2

If I knew then what I know now, I should have got a AE86 and brought it with me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

My older cousin once told me that at the end of the 90s very early 00s AE86s could be had for basically nothing (because everybody wanted Integras and Civics) and he was kicking himself for not buying a very well kept '85 GT-S hatch for $1100 in 2002 or so. S13s were reasonably priced as well.

Not in Japan around the early 90's. If they were cheaper I would have had a 86 instead of that FWD Sprinter, I got that car so I could at least have the motor. Also the DOHC Civics and CRXs were crazy popular and expensive at the time, couldn't afford any of those either. But yeah in the states before Initial-D happened you could get an 86 cheap if you could find one, there just weren't many GTSs around. That's why I focused on an MR2 when I got back to the states, easy to find, AE86, mid engine. It never occurred to me to look harder for a GTS Corolla because I never even saw them around, I'm a dumbass.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

ENOUGH! WE NEED FACTORY 80s RESTOMODS.

Pretty much. I always thought that Toyota and Nissan would take cues from the success of the retro Camaros and Mustangs, but noooo they make a new ugly 86 that has no resemblance whatsoever to the first 86, and put a loving Subaru engine in it. Opportunity squandered imo.

Larrymer posted:

The BRZ/FRS is newer and better in probably every way except it isn't a hatch. I don't get why people are clamoring for some old shitbox when they aren't even buying the spiritual successor.

Because it's not the spiritual successor? A Subaru boxer engine? Please.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a Turbo II, pretty sure those are more desirable than a normal City Turbo. I remember wanting to upgrade to a Turbo II but not being able to afford one. Plus that's a cabrio, and those are pretty rare.

Regular City Turbo:

Turbo II:

I could be wrong, it would be interesting to see a completed sale comparison between the two.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd love a DCT in my xB, but unfortunately it's a 4 speed auto which I'm going to sell so I can get a 5 speed manual :v:

DCTs are great and all, but what are the odds of all automatic cars getting them, and then what are the odds of all of them actually being good and reliable? The way things are going it looks like CVTs are going to be the dominant automatics.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Just gotta learn to shift left handed.

That's easy, the hard part is getting in on the right side of the car :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

No way it's not flipping your wipers on when you go to use your turn signal

Lol yep forgot about that one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I make the switch US/UK maybe six times a year for at least 3-4 days at a stretch in the UK and I find the hardest part is the shifting. Every time I go to change gears in the UK I smack the door with my right hand, which reminds me hey idiot use your left hand to work the lever.

That's funny, for me shifting wasn't an issue at all. I tend to leave my hand on the shifter tho so maybe that's why, it's already there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you seen any Honda City Turbos go through yet?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

On lots there are a few and the price tends to be about 7 grand. Presumably they are in really good shape.

I've only seen the cabrios so far, but 7k is pushing it for those cars.

Maybe it's because i lived in Japan and got some of these cars for pennies and sometimes for free, I'd have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on cars that are usually just scrapped anyways. I'm sure that's why there are so many more Cabrios, they were held on to because of it, and the regular turbos were insignificant and scrapped. Given the fickle nature of Japanese car owners I'm kind of surprised there are any left at all honestly.

[edit] loving :lol:

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/honda/city/21659803/

That price is loving crazy talk, I can't believe people are paying that kind of money for such mediocre highly used cars.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 14, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder if Ford sends the seats back to be re used or just burns them or something :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of the wagons would be awesome with left hand drive, I just can't get passed the right hand drive thing, I have no desire to own one in the US. It's a shame because it's seems like there are some good deals to be had like those wagons.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I might hate it too but it's so trivial in anything I've driven so far that I can't begin to think it would matter, I don't even have to think anymore it's just the natural thing, even switching cars these days.
Have you driven a right hand drive car in the US yet? I know you were in Japan and was all left-lane driving but I'm curious if it's something you've done and can't get over vs. something you think you won't get over.

Not yet, it's just not something I would want to deal with for a daily driver. For a third car it would be ok, I thought about grabbing a City Turbo but the prices are ridiculous for them.

If I could get one of those Misubishi Jeeps cheap I'd do it, but even then after the all the costs I'd be better off just getting a Wrangler for 5 or 6k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also the adrenaline rush of passing on a two lane highway :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah cool wagon, reminds me of an old Vista Cruiser we had when i was a kid with that moon roof. Is that a power moon roof or just a window?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Right into the oil puddle :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Isn't it really weird that all of the internal controls on these JDM cars are in English? Like, the heater controls, the dashboard stuff, etc. I kind of get why they put English stickers on the outside, like TURBO, but do 100% of Japanese drivers understand things like CHOKE and SUB/HEATER PULL?

The Japanese think english is cooler than Kanji, it's kind of a cultural envy thing.

When I was there I always thought it was funny how they interpreted 4WD. It's four w - d instead of four wheel drive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was going through some old pictures and found this pic of my old Skyline that I thought I had lost.

Five door turbo 5 speed, I wonder what one of those would be worth now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah right look at that front ankle splitter. It's glorious :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That is part of the group of people we are trying to sell to in the southern Vancouver (Washington). Unfortunately there is alot of educating that we are having to do because people really love their f350's super hyper army cab that gets 15 mpg cause they need to bring a some tools with them to work (the kei trucks bed is 4 ft by 6 ft) and "I dunno".

Well to be fair, an F series truck is going to be ten times safer than a death trap Kei truck, just saying man. Good luck trying to market them for anything other than driving off of public roads.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't mean to start an argument, and I personally don't care what anyone drives safe or not, that's a personal choice. I'm just saying good luck selling Kei trucks/vans as a good commuter car in North America because the unsafe perception is there whether you like it or not, and you shouldn't hope to convince people that that driving a Kei truck is just as safe and comfortable as driving a F150. There's no "educating" people away from their full size trucks to a Kei truck it's not going to happen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I am all for drive what you like, and don't drive what you don't like. I was just venting about the frustration of people saying they want something that these trucks deliver, looking at it and then saying it "i dunno".

It's a cultural thing, everyone has to have a pickup truck because reasons, what is this tiny go kart "truck" you speak of?

Never mind getting through to all the insecure males that NEED a F150 to help them feel more manly, that's a nut you're never going to crack. No way I'd be caught dead in a Kei truck the guys at work will laugh at me!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah scooters can gently caress right off. If your vehicle/scooter can only top 35 max, stay the hell off of 45mph roads and take the back roads k thanks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Internet tough guy aside, it's dangerous and shouldn't be done. Why someone would want to risk their life on a scooter because they can't be bothered with slower roads is beyond me, and this is coming from someone that commuted on a scooter at one time. Call me crazy, but I didn't want road raging assholes in f150s riding up my rear end so I took the back roads instead.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My opinion on maintaining the speed limit is more to do with safety, because where I live and drive around in urban sprawl FL, it's flat out dangerous to ride a scooter at 30 mph in a 45 zone because of all the other idiot drivers. It may be legal but it doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do, and even tho i was tempted to do it while I was riding a scooter I never did because no way I'm trusting everyone else to respectfully avoid me. Obviously this depends on your location, but around here it's just not a good idea.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I was there air horns were popular, I had a really nice set up with a couple of stainless horns, a tank and compressor. And that was considered a small setup.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stop leak is horrible poo poo and you can never get it all out so don't waste your time trying. A couple of good flushes and that's about as good as it's gonna get.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, especially when you could get a very nice Miata or MR2 Spyder for that price. Maybe even an S2k.

But it's a novelty/gimmick thing right now, and the novelty will wear off eventually me thinks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I don't think people are cross shopping Beats or Miatas, not the ones paying a premium for a Beat. You are buying a Beat because you want the weird tiny Honda sports car, not because it's practical in any sense.

I don't think people are cross shopping either, I'm just kinda shocked at the prices people are paying.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I kinda thought about getting another Honda City Turbo until I saw the prices and was like wtf.

I mean yeah it's a fun little shitbox, but it's still a shitbox.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy crap that thing will be like a blast furnace during the summer in FL with all those windows.

If you keep it, might wanna invest in a quality tint job.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cool as gently caress and dumb cheap.

Probably not cheap when you need parts for it though, that's the problem.

Looks like it would be a good beach vehicle conversion tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I'm more caviler about it I guess because I'm not going to be wheeling this thing around and getting all off-road with it. It's going to be a mall-crawling-esque thing (I imagine, anyway) because it says 'diesel' on it and also 'land cruiser'. Kind of like my Rugger, it's basically retired here in Florida taking it easy bringing me to the grocery store as I bounce up and down in the driver's seat like a kid on one of those horses that rocks back and forth outside of K-Mart. Whoever I sell it to will probably do the same thing. I'm taking your links and advice seriously though, don't get me wrong, it's just if this Cruiser has lasted since 1991 so far I can't imagine it's going to have a rougher time here in the USA.

To be fair, if it has temp issues being in FL isn't helping it either. Mall crawling in the middle of summer with the a/c blasting is enough to push it, you don't have to be off roading to get into high temp problems. I'd be wary and keep an eye on it at least.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh my god bid on that thing and see what happens.

When I lived in Japan a buddy of mine had an old Isuzu Gemini ZZ/R and that thing was loving amazing. It had a giant 1.8 DOHC in it that must have been built or something because it was crazy fast for a N/A four banger. They are pretty rare and expensive now, I don't think they ever sold outside of Japan, maybe Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Man that does look baller, and in real good shape too.

They are unremarkable tho in terms of driving, slow as balls unless you have the turbo version. A fellow airman of mine had one and we called it the pizza cutter or something like that because of the stupid name. Styling is pretty polarizing too, I never liked them personally.