Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

and taping ducks together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

wire is not used for bailing and is incapable of such a task. it is very useful for baling, though.

good catch farmer brown

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qhat posted:

poo poo like notifications would require a completely different infrastructure. I mean for gently caress sake, there hasn't been a forums update in half a decade and I don't even know what the point of xenforo is anyway, so forget asynchronous notifications for the foreseeable future?

completely different instructure

gently caress a craweler could do the job easy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mike12345 posted:

none of that poo poo will ever get implemented
also people have been suggesting features like that since qcs was opened

all of that already exists in xenforo either natively or as plugins so :shrug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
how is it 2017 and the cutting edge choice in web forums is still a php abomination

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how is it 2017 and the cutting edge choice in web forums is still a php abomination

um excuse me it's a php abomination with heavy javascript use :smug:

also there's a chat plugin but it costs extra (from a third-party dev). my dumb gay forum has it because the users really wanted it and apparently it's nice, like you can reference forum posts in the chat and the chat can get recorded / tied to the posts etc. i don't use it because it's fuckin' browser based but they seem to like it :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the correct answer is to move the whole thing to slack, and the "it takes too long to scroll back more than a few minutes" problem is solved by reminding people that nothing posted before yesterday has any value whatsoever

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

flakeloaf posted:

the correct answer is to move the whole thing to slack, and the "it takes too long to scroll back more than a few minutes" problem is solved by reminding people that nothing posted before yesterday has any value whatsoever

with the unpaid version posts youre replying to will probably disappear before you hit the send button

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sereri posted:

with the unpaid version posts youre replying to will probably disappear before you hit the send button

even better

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

flakeloaf posted:

yeah that's good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

And it's written by the same fine folks who wrote vBulletin. (cue the who, won't get fooled again)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

And it's written by the same fine folks who wrote vBulletin. (cue the who, won't get fooled again)

vbulletin is so well built and resilient, its been powering a large web forum for almost 20 years after a mentally retarded man tried his best to completely break it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

vbulletin is so well built and resilient, its been powering a large web forum for almost 20 years after a mentally retarded man tried his best to completely break it

gotta admit, it's kind of impressive the forums here are still working this well

i can't think of any software i use these days that's that old without having to janitor it for an hour

although i guess that's because someone else is doing all the janitoring

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
although why even update the forums at all

like what would be the benefit of getting a push notification or chat function or whatever for this forum

or @ mentions or poo poo

this forum is not exciting enough for my phone to buzz every time someone mentions me

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

we hosed with debt and lived to tell the tale

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

like what would be the benefit of getting a push notification or chat function or whatever for this forum

or @ mentions or poo poo

would encourage people to post more often if they knew someone was talking at them.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Radium is the secret author behind vbulletin and xenforo

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

qhat posted:

Radium is the secret author behind vbulletin and xenforo

I doubt that. xenforo is good, usable software.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

eric posted:

I doubt that. xenforo is good, usable software.

He was secretly working on it without lowtax's knowledge. That's why he never got anything done.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

He was secretly working on it without lowtax's knowledge. That's why he never got anything done.

titan is coming

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

titan is coming

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why are people still writing php in 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

why are people still writing php in 2017

momentum. i guess.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

akadajet posted:

momentum. i guess.

I think you mean inertia

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think you mean inertia

that's the thing that keeps SA around :v:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think you mean inertia

?? no??

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think you mean inertia

inertia is an object's resistance to a change, momentum is how much "moving" a thing has. they'd both work in this case :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

e: quote is not edit :downs:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
correcting someone is wrong tho

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

has someone sorted out Echi's mention notification thing yet? where failyard?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Never forget that vbulletin is nothing more than a php UBB clone

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i prefer the term skul-gun

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

has someone sorted out Echi's mention notification thing yet? where failyard?

a background worker that polls search for new replies to you are posts

every

seconds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

akadajet posted:

a background worker that polls search for new replies to you are posts

every

seconds

why wouldnt it just push you a notification once when the person quoted you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'll be the person quoting you every day at 3 in the morning

yo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

why wouldnt it just push you a notification once when the person quoted you

how else would valeyard's browser plug in detect when a person quotes you?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

why is sa neeful no longer in the chrome app store?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

more like the chrap store

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

flakeloaf posted:

i'll be the person quoting you every day at 3 in the morning

yo

stop sending me yos you fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

correcting someone is wrong tho

i was making the joke that php would have a quality that has a negative connotation rather than a positive one. didnt realize it wouldnt be clear to anyone else.

• Locked thread