Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

geeves posted:

"I am going to open source this as soon as it is somewhat production ready".

As esoteric as erlang / elixir are when it comes to mainstream products, the guy claimed it was 70-80% ready. Why not open source it at this point and let others contribute?

It should have been open sourced from the beginning with a good steering committee so that one person couldn't derail it with their personal issues. Instead we pretty much had radium 2.0.

we had a guy who said he'd rewrite the forums from scratch in under six months in his particular flavour of bullshit, by himself, for no money.

this was not ever a viable project and no amount of open sourced steering would have corrected its course into a dumpster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

infernal machines posted:

we had a guy who said he'd rewrite the forums from scratch in under six months in his particular flavour of bullshit, by himself, for no money.

this was not ever a viable project and no amount of open sourced steering would have corrected its course into a dumpster

Maybe it would have been funny though.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

come on, how hard could it be to write a forum?

go to snack overflow and ask how, duh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Salt Fish posted:

Maybe it would have been funny though.

it was already funny to those of us that saw this train wreck coming. even if he had delivered something, he wouldn't be there to support it and good luck finding another idiot that knows elixir well enough and wants to maintain a bespoke forum for minimum wage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just seeing at the end what code he thinks is production ready, and also 50% of a forum, would have been really funny.

I dunno if being able to see the code during the process would really have enhanced the humour though. Probably all the bikeshedding would have driven him off early.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

summer was over and he had to go back to high school

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

akadajet posted:

summer was over and he had to go back to high school

brutal and probably true

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

I just went through the forums re-write thread for this exact reason. Here's the link to the imgur: http://imgur.com/a/ELXO3

YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE THIS IF U ENJOY A NICE LOL

e: the best image imvho:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thats definitely 50% of a production ready forum imvho

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hey folks, last night I had a dream where I was trying and trying to kill myself but I couldn't. Then when I woke up I was thinking about how the forums update is going. Just one data point for you, as far as interest goes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

du -hast posted:

I just went through the forums re-write thread for this exact reason. Here's the link to the imgur: http://imgur.com/a/ELXO3

he used LastPass. my favorite password manager

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Let's make something awful a google summer of code project.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

akadajet posted:

Let's make something awful a google summer of code project.

<? include('forums.php'); ?>

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what does include mean

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you spelled identification division wrong

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
haha remember toilet lords

pram
Jun 10, 2001

du -hast posted:

i had some hearty lols thx

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Endless Mike posted:

what does include mean

idk i copied it from snack overflow

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
low tax could just get some idiot on fiverr to whip up some yospos imitation style on the cheap and half of you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. that looks like stellar quality 2 me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

du -hast posted:

this is about as null-designed as the windows 10 settings app so good job i guess

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Hasn't lowtax tried to start a podcast like three times and failed to get it on itunes each time? I'd kind of like to listen to that podcast. :smith:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
here's the rss

i recommend episodes 2 5 & 8 but you shouldn't bother with any of them the first one

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
listen to mbmbam instead, it's actually good

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

im nilbog

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sham bam bamina! posted:

here's the rss

i recommend episodes 2 5 & 8 but you shouldn't bother with any of them the first one

They get better after the first one then? Because I struggled getting through it. It was a little rough. :(

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the first one is easily the worst

the ones i recommended do the best job of centering the rambling on a coherent topic

the ones i didn't recommend just ramble but aren't horrible forced messes like the first one

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

qhat posted:

even an unmitigated retard like jeff atwood can make a message board :cmon:

I propose for the new YOSPOS we employ the other Atwood to build our new forum. Tony.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i would like to know what offsite we all have planned as the secret yospos emergency lifeboat if the forums were to go down because i don't want to lose you my precious postin' pals

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

let's bring back friendster, it's pretty yospos

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
boardhost

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
bizhat

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

bomis

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

RISCy Business posted:

listen to mbmbam instead, it's actually good

it's familiar, but not too familiar
but not too not familiar

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's familiar, but not too familiar
but not too not familiar

hey guys wanna yahoo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ate all the Oreos posted:

i would like to know what offsite we all have planned as the secret yospos emergency lifeboat if the forums were to go down because i don't want to lose you my precious postin' pals

eirka obviously

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
bring back yosbbs permanently when the forums go down

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

who cares what zdr thinks? there will always be another.

zdr is brilliant, kind, and my friend. do not flame him or you will face my wrath

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

zdr is brilliant, kind, and my friend. do not flame him or you will face my wrath

ya he's cool

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Google Positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
twitter get on that poo poo

• Locked thread