Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

how hard can it be to make some dogshit message board software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

even an unmitigated retard like jeff atwood can make a message board :cmon:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

OldAlias posted:

deceptively difficult at scale, or would cost more time and money to do properly than what's available

I don't consider forums dot something awful dot com to be an 'at scale' problem

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you know when it takes you on the timescale of years to notice that your main programmer(s) aren't actually doing any work, you probably don't need to be changing anything

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

we all just figments of lowtax's personality disorder

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

infernal machines posted:

radium got fired for being a completely ineffectual BOFH for longer than even lowtax could tolerate.

gg got shut down briefly because lowtax kept bagging on shmorky for being a pedophile diaper fetishist and someone reported him for harassment

i read all the email chains that lowtax posted wrt radium

lowtax is ultra bad at telling when he's getting shafted

thus radium did literally nothing for like 5 years and lowtax somehow didn't notice

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mishaq posted:

radium/lowtax/zdr's code still works a decade later though

5 years of gbs only accounts pissed down the drain though

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The yospos off-site that no-one is allowed to join nor cares about

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lowtax failed waffleimages since he completely failed to back-up the images before waffleimages disappeared. So many photoshop phriday threads lost like piss in an ocean.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

geeves posted:

I thought radium claimed to have done that or maybe that from another hosting service (imageshack?) and radium intended to do waffle for the long term. I forget the timeline of stuff. But also radium.

Maybe a pretty good copy of waffle exists somewhere, just is offline and need to track it down. S3 isn't terribly expensive, might be a stop gap solution.

radium was lowtax's fault

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

that's what she said

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

nice rear end bruise

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

infernal machines posted:

enable "good posting" while you're at it

you first

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

echinopsis posted:

gay hard reality is that forums like this get posted to
and replied to all day long

Mind blowing stuff. Epic win, as they'd say.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

poo poo like notifications would require a completely different infrastructure. I mean for gently caress sake, there hasn't been a forums update in half a decade and I don't even know what the point of xenforo is anyway, so forget asynchronous notifications for the foreseeable future?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Radium is the secret author behind vbulletin and xenforo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

eric posted:

I doubt that. xenforo is good, usable software.

He was secretly working on it without lowtax's knowledge. That's why he never got anything done.

• Locked thread