Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

spud posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40826257

Thoughts? When I was at college I worked 2 jobs in a hotel and restaurant, so I guess that qualifies in the same area? If they scare off all the tourists, aren't they just hurting themselves and their economy?

Plus calling it an "invasion" when these people come, spend a lot of money, boost the economy, then leave, seems very untrue to me.

This is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Protesting against tourism in Spain makes about as much sense as protesting the weather. You would literally have to leave the EU and enforce harsh immigration restrictions to prevent it. It's not a real issue.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

poty posted:

The job of the government of Barcelona is to act in the best interest of its citizens. A freaking high tax on tourists limits tourism (good for its citizens) while raising revenue (good for its citizens).

If there are issues with tourism as a concept or with fairness in the world that's somebody else's problem.

You're never going to have a tourism tax that accomplishes both of those goals. Unless the fee is something absurd like €5000 you're not going to equal the tax revenue that comes from tourism in the form of direct sales tax, income tax on tourism-related workers, and corporate/property taxes from tourism businesses.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

poty posted:

I was proposing 20 euros per adult per night but I'm ok with 50 too

The euro value isn't the point. You're fooling yourself if you think any tax on tourism is going to increase municipal revenue while simultaneously reducing tourism.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

kibaces posted:

my god is this really C-SPAM?

you should ask some of those protesters how they feel about having 6 brits partying no stop as their neighbours

They're stupid anarchists slashing a bus's tires.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Americans are some of the worst tourists on earth but at least they're not Israelis

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

etalian posted:

actually at events like Oktoberfest the servers prefer americans over other tourists since they are seen as more friendly and better tippers than people from other countries.

Is this post sarcastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

babypolis posted:

im sorry but if you hate tourists you are basically just a dumb xenophobic gently caress. everyone should travel more

EVERYONE hates tourists.

• Locked thread