Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

spud posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40826257

Thoughts? When I was at college I worked 2 jobs in a hotel and restaurant, so I guess that qualifies in the same area? If they scare off all the tourists, aren't they just hurting themselves and their economy?

Plus calling it an "invasion" when these people come, spend a lot of money, boost the economy, then leave, seems very untrue to me.

go cry to dungeons and dragons about it, comprador

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
tourism is absolutely an invasion

dollars and pounds are tools of imperialism

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

rudatron posted:

it's xenophobia with a veneer of 'leftism'. The worst part about tourists is that they sometimes say stupid poo poo, but they come and spend money, so who cares?

powerful analysis itt :vince:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

This seems massively off topic so far though.

No response to the actual BBC (pretty neutral source) article ?

Seems quite threatening and self-harming. Was hoping for some insight into that rather just someone espousing personal beliefs.
WELCOME TO C SPAM

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

Not really, just talk to rational people that have differing views.

Should this have gone in D&D?

no, thats why the first fukken response said go to d&d!!!!!!!!!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

So it is better to make sure noone has any money? I am not going to visit a place where I am attacked or intimidated.

your posting itt proves the contrary

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

Alright mate, calm down. Screaming at people asking innocent questions was a thing of the past I thought.

lol as if id ever type with caps

g e t r e a l n o o b

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

I just linked a BBC article.

If you find it that hard talk about, then don't comment.
freedom of speech motherfukker!!!!!!!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

logikv9 posted:

i don't know how much of their economy is tied up in tourism but i don't see how visitors for parts of the year are ruining their lives

having an economy centered around attracting tourist fuckos thats only gonna even be there part of the year is the problem

like, have you ever been to myrtle beach in november? its like an empty hell, but tackier

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

logikv9 posted:

yeah but at the same time if that's all you can get for your town or region then :shrug:

better than nothing and it's not like scaring away tourists is going to suddenly make business / money flow in from other routes

yeah tourism can be argued to be better than nothing but its the worst industry to try and attract because its all bullshit minimum wage crap

kill tourists and sell their relatives fancy bespoke artisanal coffins

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Having grown up in a vacation town, tourism is absolutely an enemy to leftism. For starters, when people come down to "throw money at everyone" they're mostly throwing money at two to three companies that own most of the businesses, or at least the commercial real estate. This inevitably leads to these companies having abject control over the community, which then leads to them sweeping economic, environmental, and cultural changes that are made solely to enrich those companies. So then what you're left with is a "libertarian" government and bland businesses that cater almost exclusively to entitled, upper middle class assholes who end up doing far more damage than whatever wealth they generate.

Speaking of, it's loving hilarious seeing posters here compare people who can spend upwards to $10,000 in a single week to literal refugees.

hey i could spend a hell of a lot more money than that a hell of a lot faster if you give it to me :colbert:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

itt all of catalonia is within the barcelona city limits

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Grognan posted:

sounds complicated and I would need to know more about their issues before making my own judgement on their situation

Would You Like To Know More?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Because tourism is an inherently capitalist concept that requires a vast wealth gap to function. It's about catering to a clientele that are at least able to spend a lot of money in a short period with staff that are compelled to work long hours, especially during holidays. It also takes the power to destroy communities that capitalism has and drastically accelerates it.

tbf communities dont exist

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

rudatron posted:

The reason the tourists are being attacked is not because of their 'strength', in their ability to reshape communities or whatever, but precisely because of their vulnerability - attacking the actual cause of the problem, the people with the wealth, carries too much risk. But that feeling of powerlessness and frustration, caused by the wealthy, has to go somewhere, so eventually some idiots decide to redirect it to outsiders, because that's easier than confronting the actual centers of power.

It's nothing but self-indulgent catharsis.

have you ever met a tourist

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

Thanks man/woman. This is what I was looking for.

this post is so dungeons and dragons its causing me physical pain

please learn to not d&d post when u are in not d&d tia

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

Should I post this in D&D instead instead?

Read both descriptions and it seemed here was more appropriate.
who posted these descriptios :thunk:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

i fully support german waiters conning dumb americans who dont know how tipping works in other countries
wtf :thunk: implying tipping works in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

if you hate tourists you aint cookin em right

• Locked thread