Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MizPiz posted:

That's what a tourism-based economy looks like. If Barcelona is able to free itself from that hell, then it should go hard and never look back.
Barcelona is not a tourism-based economy, I'm pretty sure. Not any more than New York City is at least. Can't speak for the rest of Catalonia though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Tourism amounts to 12% of the city's GDP. By way of comparison, NYC, a city of 8.5 million inhabitants, received ~58 million visitors last year. Barcelona, a city of 1.6 million people, received around 32 million visitors, with 8+ million staying overnight.That's a lot of people walking around with wheeled suitcases, going out until all hours of the night and making noise keeping people awake. It's also a lot of people staying at apartments that have effectively been turned into AirBnB hotels, driving up the price of housing where it becomes unaffordable for people from Barcelona itself.
OK, I underestimated the number of tourists, though the GDP percentage confirms pretty well that it's not a tourism based economy I think. In regards to the NYC comparison, by my calculations the GDP of NYC is about $330 billion - tourists brought in $41.4 billion in 2012, which comes out to 12.5% of GDP, so I was pretty spot on there at least. Your point stands in regards to annoyance though, since Barcelona needs three times as many tourists per capita to gain the same benefit. That's before you get into important cultural differences, like Northern Europeans traditional "clubbing hours" starting and ending like four hours earlier than the locals are used to.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

remember when people were making GBS threads their pants at the prospect of terrorists using smallpox or a suitcase nuke to kill people? now it seems like the only ways terrorists kill people is with pressure cooker bombs or driving a car really fuckin fast through a group of people. how the mighty have fallen
GTA saved the West.

• Locked thread