Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Barcelona is not a tourism-based economy, I'm pretty sure. Not any more than New York City is at least. Can't speak for the rest of Catalonia though.

Tourism amounts to 12% of the city's GDP. By way of comparison, NYC, a city of 8.5 million inhabitants, received ~58 million visitors last year. Barcelona, a city of 1.6 million people, received around 32 million visitors, with 8+ million staying overnight.That's a lot of people walking around with wheeled suitcases, going out until all hours of the night and making noise keeping people awake. It's also a lot of people staying at apartments that have effectively been turned into AirBnB hotels, driving up the price of housing where it becomes unaffordable for people from Barcelona itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Yeah, I don't think you can call a 12% tourism share in GDP a 'tourism-based economy' though obviously its importance is not insignificant. The problem is more that Barcelona lends itself a lot better than NYC to going out, getting drunk and partying in the street both weatherwise and pricewise, so that's what people do. And there's a limit to how many drunk Brits anyone can take (us Dutch are also annoying but usually a bit more harmless).

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

safely sodomized posted:

drunk brits are worse than aussies

Are they worse than Russians though, come to think of it?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

I choose to believe that the descriptions of Florida in Carl Hiaasen's novels are completely factual, and therefore have no idea why anyone would want to visit the place.

• Locked thread