Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Having grown up in a vacation town, tourism is absolutely an enemy to leftism. For starters, when people come down to "throw money at everyone" they're mostly throwing money at two to three companies that own most of the businesses, or at least the commercial real estate. This inevitably leads to these companies having abject control over the community, which then leads to them sweeping economic, environmental, and cultural changes that are made solely to enrich those companies. So then what you're left with is a "libertarian" government and bland businesses that cater almost exclusively to entitled, upper middle class assholes who end up doing far more damage than whatever wealth they generate.

Speaking of, it's loving hilarious seeing posters here compare people who can spend upwards to $10,000 in a single week to literal refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

itt barcelona is a monocultural resort town that is dead in the off season

That's what a tourism-based economy looks like. If Barcelona is able to free itself from that hell, then it should go hard and never look back.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Relin posted:

tourism is good for the economy. why are they protesting tourists and not the bosses and government loving them with low wages

Because tourism is an inherently capitalist concept that requires a vast wealth gap to function. It's about catering to a clientele that are at least able to spend a lot of money in a short period with staff that are compelled to work long hours, especially during holidays. It also takes the power to destroy communities that capitalism has and drastically accelerates it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

safely sodomized posted:

seize the means of production? no comrade, the only way is to truly resist capitalism is to destroy the means of production

Yeah, who's ever heard of workers sabatoging their business to get something from their owners?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Whorelord posted:

sober Americans are truly the worst people on earth

This is true, but we make up for it by being cool drunks.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

kibaces posted:

my god is this really C-SPAM?

you should ask some of those protesters how they feel about having 6 brits partying no stop as their neighbours

The posters complaining about the protesters are those 6 brits partying non-stop, they have absolutely no self-awareness.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

babypolis posted:

im sorry but if you hate tourists you are basically just a dumb xenophobic gently caress. everyone should travel more

You're one step away from complaining about reverse racism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

in NYC, we just internally dismiss everyone who does something stupid as a tourist and go along with our lives

That's because you're average New Yorker is just as stupid and entitled as your average tourist. It's drat near impossible to differentiate the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

so sounds like some tourists got creamed in barcelona, shortly after this thread was made.

COINCIDENCE?

Of course I didn't do it, why would even ask such a ridiculous question?

No, I don't have any alibi, but why would I need one? After all, I didn't do it.

• Locked thread