Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

Standard used by the rest of the world:

it's a face with big titties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
maybe the best connector is the friends we made along the way

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

What does this do?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's the beauty of it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What does this do?

by the look of it, everything

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What does this do?

i don't know what the one in the picture does, but they can be configured any way you'd like. the one i have experience with is used for long distance DVI

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Agile Vector posted:

tbf the first gen models, like the mbp, were littered with issues. i babied mine and it still melted the cable at the brick and shorted the supply. the replacement was smaller and still works so id say some of those were probably early models

Better then laptops at the time. I remember having a laptop where two of the lovely psu's died with a giant electrical arc

There's still one today for my work laptop that looks like it's gonna blow up any day now. Luckily IT replaced it and it looks like Dell stopped producing lovely power bricks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

the Symbolics console's 12-pin HIROSE connectors

a single-wire video signal of a high enough clock speed that only ECL chips will do the job. jesus christ.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Dongslayer. posted:

jesus christ whatre you people doing to your magsafes. even my mom hasnt destroyed one yet and thats where computers go to die

i work at an e-waste recycler and the ratio of working magsafes to magsafes fried exactly at the point where a real company would put a strain relief is abysmal

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

a single-wire video signal of a high enough clock speed that only ECL chips will do the job. jesus christ.

in 1983

the dot clock was so high because it was 1150×900

the original console used a 68000 as a controller, too, don't know how much RAM it had but it was probably like 64KB

imagine how much that cost—probably around the same as a Sun-2 with its ECL 19in monitor, except the Symbolics console was useless on its own (there was no local framebuffer, though the 68000 could control the brightness and invert the screen)

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i like the din41612, it's got lots of pins assuming you need them, rackers only. only issue imo is no leading ground so no hot swap.

anderson powerpoles seem to not be poo poo? just started using them and it seems like a convenient connector for high power, but there's no easy way to panel mount them so that's a negative.

soldered up a lemo 1b series today, they're nice and all but the fairly short distance between the back of the pin piece and the strain relief clamp makes it more of pain than it needs to be.
also if they'd made the flats on the connector bit a few mm longer then a standard 10mm wrench would fit, but instead you have to buy their special wrench that's never stocked.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

i work at an e-waste recycler and the ratio of working magsafes to magsafes fried exactly at the point where a real company would put a strain relief is abysmal

you'd think apple of any company would have the resources and expertise to make strain relief that didn't look too ugly to touch an apple product

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm the confirmation bias

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

i'm the confirmation bias

im the denial

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

i like the din41612, it's got lots of pins assuming you need them, rackers only. only issue imo is no leading ground so no hot swap.

mm yeah love that blind mate... not!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Went full-on brain-machine interface today:

Serious: I'm switching off of the epilepsy drug I've been on for 20 years and onto a newer one with far fewer side effects (lack of energy, dulls my personality, weight gain, all kinds of physiological effects). While the new drug should have much fewer side effects it still has some, and the only way to get on the new drug is to slowly dose up over the course of about 4-6 weeks (on week 2 now) before reducing the dose of the old drug. Both these drugs reduce/slow down electrical impulses in the nervous system, and they result is a bit like putting my brain in power-saver mode:it still does everything, but the experience isn't as pretty. Because of the drug mix my eyes don't focus as effectively and my inner ear doesn't work correctly, so no contacts and dizziness/vertigo are a problem. It basically feels like I have the flu now but overall should be worth it in the long run

burning swine
May 26, 2004

qirex posted:

in 2010 apple was still using using the round connector that went straight back from the computer

?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

qirex posted:

you'd think apple of any company would have the resources and expertise to make strain relief that didn't look too ugly to touch an apple product

yeah but all those folks are tied up making iTunes for Windows the best possible piece of software in the world.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the new-ish thinkpad power connector that is exactly the size and shape of a usb port, but 19v, is real fuckin' neato (fortunately you can't accidentally plug one into the other)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sadly, these are bad. the one thing i dislike about my G4 powerbook, besides the pre-multitouch trackpad. the thing he means is the one on the right in the chart i posted earlier

the one you posted is interesting, though, because the outer shield bit isn't really current carrying (i think it just operates the light on the charger, if equipped). the inside is a 2.5mm TRS subminijack, which is really a bad choice for a charger :(

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Serious: I'm switching off of the epilepsy drug I've been on for 20 years and onto a newer one with far fewer side effects (lack of energy, dulls my personality, weight gain, all kinds of physiological effects). While the new drug should have much fewer side effects it still has some, and the only way to get on the new drug is to slowly dose up over the course of about 4-6 weeks (on week 2 now) before reducing the dose of the old drug. Both these drugs reduce/slow down electrical impulses in the nervous system, and they result is a bit like putting my brain in power-saver mode:it still does everything, but the experience isn't as pretty. Because of the drug mix my eyes don't focus as effectively and my inner ear doesn't work correctly, so no contacts and dizziness/vertigo are a problem. It basically feels like I have the flu now but overall should be worth it in the long run

actually, electrodes are really bad connectors, as are all connectors in electrophysiology

i hope your new drugs work out tho, epilepsy sucks

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

MausoleumExtremist posted:

goodluck mang

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

sadly, these are bad. the one thing i dislike about my G4 powerbook, besides the pre-multitouch trackpad. the thing he means is the one on the right in the chart i posted earlier

the one you posted is interesting, though, because the outer shield bit isn't really current carrying (i think it just operates the light on the charger, if equipped). the inside is a 2.5mm TRS subminijack, which is really a bad choice for a charger :(

from wikipedia:

quote:

Tripping on an iBook cord or yanking the cord out at an angle could bend the spring contacts inside the connector or break the solder pads under the connector, resulting in a laptop that would fail to charge when connected to the cord, or would only charge if the inserted plug were propped up or pushed down at an angle. An especially forceful yank could flare the outer flange or even break the tip of the power plug.

Replacing a damaged "DC-In Board" in an early 12 inch G3 iBook typically involved an expensive 50-step disassembly of the laptop.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dongslayer. posted:

goodluck mang

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

it took apple having the worst charging port design ever to bring us the greatest :rip:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

in 1983

the dot clock was so high because it was 1150×900

the original console used a 68000 as a controller, too, don't know how much RAM it had but it was probably like 64KB

imagine how much that cost—probably around the same as a Sun-2 with its ECL 19in monitor, except the Symbolics console was useless on its own (there was no local framebuffer, though the 68000 could control the brightness and invert the screen)

when it was introduced, the laserwriter was the most powerful computer apple sold. 12mhz 68000 with 512kb of workspace ram and a 1mb frame buffer, as opposed to the contemporary mac's 8mhz 68000 and 512kb total

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody posted:

actually, electrodes are really bad connectors, as are all connectors in electrophysiology

i hope your new drugs work out tho, epilepsy sucks

patch clamps are extremely cool, actually

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

anderson powerpoles seem to not be poo poo? just started using them and it seems like a convenient connector for high power, but there's no easy way to panel mount them so that's a negative.

soldered up a lemo 1b series today, they're nice and all but the fairly short distance between the back of the pin piece and the strain relief clamp makes it more of pain than it needs to be.
also if they'd made the flats on the connector bit a few mm longer then a standard 10mm wrench would fit, but instead you have to buy their special wrench that's never stocked.

i love powerpoles and they're very expensive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

when it was introduced, the laserwriter was the most powerful computer apple sold. 12mhz 68000 with 512kb of workspace ram and a 1mb frame buffer, as opposed to the contemporary mac's 8mhz 68000 and 512kb total

it cost more than a mac, too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
heres a connector:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

heres a connector:

stage pin for the win

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it cost more than a mac, too

also basically peak printer right there as far as competently getting the things onto the page in quality (ok, 300dpi is looking aged now, but most consumer printers at supposed 1200dpi look worse anyway)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bloody posted:

youre the one who said 'no thumbscrews'

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bone screws are real good electrodes, but still not good connectors

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

POS connectors: HVDC electric car charging connectors

Japan/Korea standard:

oh you can get an adapter to plug it into your Tesla though

Standard used by the rest of the world:

lmao @ the idea of charging your drat car like a phone