Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

you know what's a lovely connector

The fuckin shoulder what the hell is this piece of poo poo

the shoulder, and knee, while both being pieces of poo poo, are not connectors, but are instead joints. if you demate your shoulder or knee you will not be able to re-mate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

the shoulder, and knee, while both being pieces of poo poo, are not connectors, but are instead joints. if you demate your shoulder or knee you will not be able to re-mate them

:rip:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Bloody posted:

you’re makin an awful lot of assumptions bub

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

you’re makin an awful lot of assumptions bub

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also basically peak printer right there as far as competently getting the things onto the page in quality (ok, 300dpi is looking aged now, but most consumer printers at supposed 1200dpi look worse anyway)

around the time of the laserwriter II, HP's attempt at this was selling an isa card with a hardware postscript interpreter on it

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Anyone said lemo 00 yet? because lemo 00 or go home. Locking, non-oriented, small enough to suit all your high density applications and swiss made so you don't look like a poor:

shamelessly bumping the lemo connector endorsement post

assuming you have leftover money to waste, all types of lemo connectors are really loving nice

but in commercial reality it's a shame you only get them on electron microscopes and $$$ test equipment and such

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Smythe posted:

heres a connector:

mishaq posted:

stage pin for the win

oh that is what these pieces of jumk are. i have lovely late 1990s powertools that use these as DC connectors for, i guess, reasons

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also basically peak printer right there as far as competently getting the things onto the page in quality (ok, 300dpi is looking aged now, but most consumer printers at supposed 1200dpi look worse anyway)

nah hp laserjet was/is better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

around the time of the laserwriter II, HP's attempt at this was selling an isa card with a hardware postscript interpreter on it

hp printers always had pcl built in, which was a 100% postscript clone

some of them had add-in cards that were basically a license file / software update to allow the already-existing cpu board to do postscript in addition to pcl

postscript licensing was expensive back in the day. like $1000+ per printer expensive. so everybody (except apple) sold postscript and non-postscript models

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

some of them had add-in cards that were basically a license file / software update to allow the already-existing cpu board to do postscript in addition to pcl

postscript licensing was expensive back in the day. like $1000+ per printer expensive. so everybody (except apple) sold postscript and non-postscript models

didn't adobe basically force Apple out of the printer business by refusing to lower the postscript licensing costs, which left Apple unable to compete against the influx of cheap, lovely printers (short of abandoning postscript)?

also, I thought a big thing for PCL (aside from no postscript licensing fees) was to enable making the printers themselves cheaper by not requiring as much processing horsepower on the printer?

edit: vvv yeah, PCL wasn't a 100% postscript clone vvv

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 12, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you think pcl was the same as postscript at all, pcl depended on individual printer vendors to implement things their own way, postscript output looked identical on every device which is why it took over professional printing instantly

e: in the early 90s there were "postscript compatible" printers that ran clean room emulators but they weren't perfect

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

the shoulder isn't really even a joint. doesn't have interlocking bone pieces. the whole thing is basically just strapped on the side of your torso with a bunch of crisscrossing muscles

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

the shoulder isn't really even a joint. doesn't have interlocking bone pieces. the whole thing is basically just strapped on the side of your torso with a bunch of crisscrossing muscles

bodies are revolting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

bodies are revolting

please work out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm at the mall and there are so many attractive people here, hot as gently caress bodies, of all shapes and sizes. clothing is hot as hell.. i need to up my game: i mean my bod is above average for mid thirties dad but i really wanna exceed expectations

lol being a diabetic with irritable bowel helps, either i poo poo out food before i absorb it and then i just don't inject insulin and don't put that energy into my cells. lol i probably deserve to be much fatter than i am

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

lol if you think pcl was the same as postscript at all, pcl depended on individual printer vendors to implement things their own way, postscript output looked identical on every device which is why it took over professional printing instantly

e: in the early 90s there were "postscript compatible" printers that ran clean room emulators but they weren't perfect

pcl was hp-specific. the same pcl looked fine on every hp. all bets are off when you go to another vendor.

pcl was substantially the same as postscript. like, you could literally convert one to the other with a perl script. A shameless clone.

postscript, but worse, and cheaper. :toot:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

, but worse, and cheaper. :toot:

the story of every successful consumer technology

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

holy poo poo, why is this arousing me

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
so what sort of interface would need a bunch of separately shielded 4 pin connectors?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

love the AMP series 1 CPC's, we use them for our 1-off controllers at work. Only thing I dislike is their pin counts are a bit weird sometimes.

for bullshit worst connectors, i submit the lovely tape light connector that lots of vendors sell:

These loving suck. They always eventually fail. solder your wire directly to the strip like a loving grown up.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

longview posted:

so what sort of interface would need a bunch of separately shielded 4 pin connectors?

here's a datasheet with more info https://www.newark.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/cms/asset/images/americas/common/storefront/te_connectivity/quadrax.pdf on them

the seperately shielded 4 pin connectors are called quadrax

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/Copper-Contacts/quadrax-contacts.html posted:

High Speed Quadrax contacts consist of an outer contact with four inner contacts spaced to form two 100 or 150 Ohm controlled impedance differential pair. Both contacts, when used in Amphenol MIL-DTL-38999 Series III and ARINC type connectors, provide an excellent alternative for harsh environment applications such as: Ethernet 100 Base-T-100 Ohm, Gigabit Ethernet 1000 Base-T-100 Ohm, Fibre Channel-150 Ohm, IEEE1394B FireWire-110 Ohm.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Lightbulb Out posted:

here's a datasheet with more info https://www.newark.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/cms/asset/images/americas/common/storefront/te_connectivity/quadrax.pdf on them

the seperately shielded 4 pin connectors are called quadrax

so i guess they use them for two differential lines per quadrax? i guess that's useful for the standards listed, seems like faster interconnects like 10 gbe direct attach cables use separately shielded twinax.

--

these are pretty ok, amphenol ecomate, allegedly ip67 when mated, leading ground for safety.

all plastic and no good way to terminate shielding so best for lower frequency high power stuff, 4 pin versions have screw terminations so they're pretty easy to field assemble.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
oooh that reminded me of those miniature coaxial connectors... i had a product that use those for 10base2 ethernet interconnections and they consistently just came apart from looking at them funny.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

longview posted:

so i guess they use them for two differential lines per quadrax? i guess that's useful for the standards listed, seems like faster interconnects like 10 gbe direct attach cables use separately shielded twinax.

--

these are pretty ok, amphenol ecomate, allegedly ip67 when mated, leading ground for safety.

all plastic and no good way to terminate shielding so best for lower frequency high power stuff, 4 pin versions have screw terminations so they're pretty easy to field assemble.

garden hose connectors

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

garden hose connectors

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hahahhahaaha i love your av

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:same:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blowfish posted:

shamelessly bumping the lemo connector endorsement post

assuming you have leftover money to waste, all types of lemo connectors are really loving nice

but in commercial reality it's a shame you only get them on electron microscopes and $$$ test equipment and such

sennheiser wireless systems used to use lemo a lot on the older kit

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Raluek posted:

looks like you're right, the adapter is actually a year or two older than my machine. i got it secondhand so i guess it ended up mismatched at some point

they are not the same size you cant use a magsafe 2 on a magsafe macbook. there is an adapter but it goes the other way magsafe to a magsafe 2 macbook

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LastInLine posted:

they are not the same size you cant use a magsafe 2 on a magsafe macbook. there is an adapter but it goes the other way magsafe to a magsafe 2 macbook

also the official adapter is a bit poo poo, but there are third party ones that are five times bigger and worse. literally just five pins and a thin shield and everyone hosed it up

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

r u ready to WALK posted:

I enjoy the humble DIN connector, especially the 5-pin MIDI variant because it allows you to connect a brand new computer to a 35 year old synthesizer to make beautiful bleeps and bloops

I have an old guitar with a din 5 on it, good stuff. :science::rock:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

god that's a loving solid av and i wish it were mine

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

I enjoy the humble DIN connector, especially the 5-pin MIDI variant because it allows you to connect a brand new computer to a 35 year old synthesizer to make beautiful bleeps and bloops

reminds me of mini XLR, which is a good connector

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
my headphones at home and work both have mini-xlr

thanks akg

thakg

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

my headphones at home and work both have mini-xlr

thanks akg

thakg

that's cool & good

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pcl was hp-specific. the same pcl looked fine on every hp. all bets are off when you go to another vendor.

pcl was substantially the same as postscript. like, you could literally convert one to the other with a perl script. A shameless clone.

postscript, but worse, and cheaper. :toot:

I know it's not connector specific but does any one have some good old printer chat about IPDS and the ole workhorse the laserjet4.

I remember working for a hospital ages and ages ago and LAserJet4s were everywhere. users would nearly cry when they were replaced with 4250s and newer. Some unit directors clung on to them for dear life an my guess is that if I ever went back there would be at least a few dozen running somewhere and I bet the oldAS400 is still powered on doing something...... even after countless replacement attempts.

I would even guess they maintain two of those giant IBM commercial refrigerator size printers too.

The last person I knew that still worked there says they moved epic after their last HIS flaiure.

Cdw was raping the company for all the IPDS chips in exchange for hand jobs is my guess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LastInLine posted:

i know that, but there are two forms of magsafe 1 chargers, one that's shaped like a magsafe 2 but shorter (which I have) and one that's round and blocks your ethernet port if you put it in backwards (which apparently my laptop should have). go look at a 2008 macbook charger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Duke Thompson posted:

I know it's not connector specific but does any one have some good old printer chat about IPDS and the ole workhorse the laserjet4.

I remember working for a hospital ages and ages ago and LAserJet4s were everywhere. users would nearly cry when they were replaced with 4250s and newer. Some unit directors clung on to them for dear life an my guess is that if I ever went back there would be at least a few dozen running somewhere and I bet the oldAS400 is still powered on doing something...... even after countless replacement attempts.

I would even guess they maintain two of those giant IBM commercial refrigerator size printers too.

The last person I knew that still worked there says they moved epic after their last HIS flaiure.

Cdw was raping the company for all the IPDS chips in exchange for hand jobs is my guess.

i had a laserjet 4 at work i desperately ttried to repair but it was hosed up in the computer zone of it or something and didn't repair right. fml. RIP to it

• Locked thread