Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

An excellent Simpsons podcast is Talking Simpsons. This show is going episode by episode to discuss the show in depth. The show is part of the Lasertime network.

The show offers an excellent deep dive into the Simpsons, beginning with episode one, and they are up to season six. I'm a major fan of classic Simpsons and the hosts go deep into stuff I didn't know such as the production of each episode, explanations of different styles of their directors (such as "David Silverman animation"), and lots of other fun stuff. They are working to get Simpsons staffing in for interviews, and their Bill Oakley episode was great.

The level of research is impressive, and I've learned a lot about my favorite episodes. For example, in Homer the Vigilante, Homer says:

quote:

So I said, "Look buddy, your car was upside-down when I got here. And as for your Grandma? She shouldn't have mouthed off like that!"

I had always thought that was just Vigilante Homer using excessive force on a poor soul. But Talking Simpsons explained that this was a nod to Flannery O'Connor's short story "A Good Man Is Hard to Find." This was delightful to learn, and a great sign of the hosts' commitment.

The show is liberally sprinkled with clips and those are always appreciated. The show is free, but if after a few episodes you like their content I would recommend their Patreon. They have a ton of extra episodes including Talking Critic, mailbag episodes, and episodes a week early with no ads.

The show doesn't toe the company line and doesn't pretend the show was perfect, and offers criticism of weaker episodes such as The Front. It will be interesting when they get past season 9 into the long hell march.

Also, they have done crossover episodes with Retronauts about Simpsons video games, including Simpsons Arcade and Bart's Nightmare. Worth checking out.

http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/category/talking-simpsons/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

It's a good show, but then again I like most of the Lazer Time stuff even though I normally don't like the type of pop culture podcasts they do. Those guys make a fun show and, hell, an audio version of something that goes over Simpsons episodes I've seen a ton of times with a lot of weird conversations about the references has been a consistently good listen at work.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Started listening to this recently and oh my my my is it leagues better than Worst Episode Ever

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I haven't listened to Lazer Time stuff in a while but man is this better, I'll have to check the others out too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Riptor posted:

Started listening to this recently and oh my my my is it leagues better than Worst Episode Ever

Yeah, it is always a great listen. They know a lot of their audience are mega-fans, and do a lot of legwork to get fresh takes on the early seasons through staff interviews or digging up production notes.

I've been enjoying their "Talking Critic" too, it was a good show but an odd show, especially in deciding to put a Jon Lovitz animated show on after Home Improvement.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I saw The Critic as a kid through Comedy Central reruns and always viewed it in almost as high regard as The Simpsons, which I mainly watched in syndication on my UPN affiliate at least twice a day. It's weird as an ABC show linked to Home Improvement but in that context everything made sense.

I might have to start paying for a third podcast since those seem like that'd be as worth it as the extra Chapo episodes for me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I saw The Critic as a kid through Comedy Central reruns and always viewed it in almost as high regard as The Simpsons, which I mainly watched in syndication on my UPN affiliate at least twice a day. It's weird as an ABC show linked to Home Improvement but in that context everything made sense.

I might have to start paying for a third podcast since those seem like that'd be as worth it as the extra Chapo episodes for me.

I'd say it's definitely worth it for the Talking Critic episodes, they have five so far and there is a lot of care and production value put into them. I haven't seen Critic in years so the plot descriptions are interesting, plus lots of clips too. Hoping they cover King of the Hill after finishing Critic.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

What's crazy is that the show that eventually replaced The Critic after Home Improvement was the Dana Carvey Show. If they thought the Critic was too cruel/not a good fit for the network...

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 27, 2017

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
These dorks always have one bad/wimpy/whiny take on the classic episodes' jokes, but this is bearable.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Tried this show and it's all right I guess. Some episodes feel lazy but early Simpsons jokes are funny enough to carry almost anything. Chris(?) is terrible, but the other hosts are fine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dylan McKay posted:

Tried this show and it's all right I guess. Some episodes feel lazy but early Simpsons jokes are funny enough to carry almost anything. Chris(?) is terrible, but the other hosts are fine.

Yeah, in the early episodes Chris was not great but gets better as it went along. Especially as it somehow became Bob and Henry's jobs, and they started having more time to go in depth. I do like how Chris is a viewpoint of a fan, but not on the same level of obsessive as the other guys so he can help provide a different voice.

They've hit a golden crop of episodes, with Itchy and Scratchyland and Sideshow Bob Roberts being especially excellent.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Goddamn these people are such pedantic, clueless ninnies. They have this incredibly annoying reliance on constantly criticizing the flexibility of characters' behavior to suit jokes or episodes as this hugely significant breach in the show's continuity, when the Simpsons. They think celebrity jokes about Johnny Carson or some other worthless famous person are worth speculating about how they were received by the offended party, if they resented the Simpsons, and if so why did they agree to do a voice 2 years later hmmmmmm. No, this is not worth wondering about. It wasn't something to wonder or care about at the time of the episode's release, and it is not now in 2017. They are obsessed with continuity in general, which seems to so miss the strength of the show's brilliant irreverence and self-awareness. And they're always insanely histrionic about the cruelty of the characters and how damaging it would to if this happened to real children, or spouses, or town citizens, or old people in an old folks' home. Yeah, no loving poo poo Homer is a bad father and Quimby should not be re-elected mayor, and the institutions in Springfield are dysfunctional. You've got to be stupid as hell to think that's worth commenting on sincerely, but there they go always doing it, either missing the point that it's supposed to be dysfunctional and cruel, or getting it and still thinking that they're saying something interesting by bringing up the central tenant of the Simpsons style of humor??????? And this fourth person they brought on today, the woman, is the least humor-inclined person I've ever heard speak about humor. She said the introduction segment of Lisa on Ice with the funny Kent Brockman scene and the scene with Bart going outside in his pajamas expecting snow was a "non-sequitur." How is that a non-sequitur in any way, metaphorical or literal, when the Simpsons is a show about the silly and cynical antics of the American town of Springfield and there have been many such segments before. That's not a non-sequitur. I can't say the regular hosts are any better. I really hope I'm done with this show; it makes me so angry.

Maybe most pathetically and aggravatingly, they constantly invoke that cliche of "boy we're gonna get letters about this one, fire up your keyboards commenters because we deserve it" whenever they say anything, anything at all, that's not something from the above brilliant and concise rant.

gently caress THESE LOSERS

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

UP AND ADAM posted:

Goddamn these people are such pedantic, clueless ninnies. They have this incredibly annoying reliance on constantly criticizing the flexibility of characters' behavior to suit jokes or episodes as this hugely significant breach in the show's continuity, when the Simpsons. They think celebrity jokes about Johnny Carson or some other worthless famous person are worth speculating about how they were received by the offended party, if they resented the Simpsons, and if so why did they agree to do a voice 2 years later hmmmmmm. No, this is not worth wondering about. It wasn't something to wonder or care about at the time of the episode's release, and it is not now in 2017. They are obsessed with continuity in general, which seems to so miss the strength of the show's brilliant irreverence and self-awareness. And they're always insanely histrionic about the cruelty of the characters and how damaging it would to if this happened to real children, or spouses, or town citizens, or old people in an old folks' home. Yeah, no loving poo poo Homer is a bad father and Quimby should not be re-elected mayor, and the institutions in Springfield are dysfunctional. You've got to be stupid as hell to think that's worth commenting on sincerely, but there they go always doing it, either missing the point that it's supposed to be dysfunctional and cruel, or getting it and still thinking that they're saying something interesting by bringing up the central tenant of the Simpsons style of humor??????? And this fourth person they brought on today, the woman, is the least humor-inclined person I've ever heard speak about humor. She said the introduction segment of Lisa on Ice with the funny Kent Brockman scene and the scene with Bart going outside in his pajamas expecting snow was a "non-sequitur." How is that a non-sequitur in any way, metaphorical or literal, when the Simpsons is a show about the silly and cynical antics of the American town of Springfield and there have been many such segments before. That's not a non-sequitur. I can't say the regular hosts are any better. I really hope I'm done with this show; it makes me so angry.

Maybe most pathetically and aggravatingly, they constantly invoke that cliche of "boy we're gonna get letters about this one, fire up your keyboards commenters because we deserve it" whenever they say anything, anything at all, that's not something from the above brilliant and concise rant.

I've never listened to this podcast but this post is extremely epic.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

About time someone has the balls to say it.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

UP AND ADAM posted:

Thank for this post. Sincerely.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
It's funny how life works out. Here I am about to boot up a pocast about the Simpsons but I scrolled down and read a really negative review of the show. Guess I won't be watching it now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UP AND ADAM posted:

my favorite part is when it says 'I really hope I'm done with this show'.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I like talking Simpsons

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

what a time to be alive

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
color me shocked that Homer Badman is the episode that triggered a meltdown

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Overall I like the podcast a lot, but yeah "Lisa on Ice" wasn't their best episode. Guest host Kat Bailey is alright on gaming podcasts, and did provide good info on hockey, but I agree she isn't a comedy specialist. I was jarred to hear her dismiss Homer giving back the turtle "alive and well" as a bad joke. That was a classic moment!

The show would be improved if they had a deeper pool of guest hosts. They seem to rely heavily on LaserTime and Retronauts contributors, who tend to be more pop culture or gaming generalists rather than comedians or Simpsons experts. It would be cool if they got some guest spots from We Hate Movies or Duckfeed.

For the Johnny Carson stuff, I thought that was interesting in the context of the early 1990s as some of his writers were now on the Simpsons and to see how they were sneaking in jabs at him. Especially at the time he was a comedy titan, and it did serve to explain some of the jokes.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

beepsandboops posted:

color me shocked that Homer Badman is the episode that triggered a meltdown
:confused:
They don't have a Homer Badman episode up.

Also, I like the show, but I feel like ever since they split off as their own thing, Chris hasn't been doing much of anything.
He was good for reining in Henry in the past, now Henry just goes on his long rants and Bob just acts as his enabler, it's honestly the worst part of the podcast for me.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 22, 2017

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Dylan McKay posted:

Chris(?) is terrible, but the other hosts are fine.

Chris does this thing where half of the things he says somehow sound italicized

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

TwoDayLife posted:

:confused:
They don't have a Homer Badman episode up.

Also, I like the show, but I feel like ever since they split off as their own thing, Chris hasn't been doing much of anything.
He was good for reining in Henry in the past, now Henry just goes on his long rants and Bob just acts as his enabler, it's honestly the worst part of the podcast for me.
Forgot, I'm on the Patreon feed.

Definitely agree with you about the Chris/Henry dynamic

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Not gonna lie, that's part of why I'm really digging Talking Critic is Diana will smack Henry's worst nerd tendencies down.

"But it doesn't make sense-"
"NO, it doesn't and it never will, moving on!"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

diana owns and i wish she were on more episodes of talking simpsons

the subject matter isn't always what i'm interested in but the trio of diana, chris, and dave is the main reason i keep tuning into thirty twenty ten

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Not gonna lie, that's part of why I'm really digging Talking Critic is Diana will smack Henry's worst nerd tendencies down.

"But it doesn't make sense-"
"NO, it doesn't and it never will, moving on!"

Counterpoint: Henry is cool and good... but yeah Diana is a pillar of Talking Critic. I like Talking Simpsons, but I think Talking Critic overall is better. The series hasn’t been dissected from every angle, and has no ongoing show, so the content is much fresher.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Cool, I love classic simpsons stuff. It's kind of a bummer I can't listen to the old episodes without subscribing to their patreon though?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's just season 1.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

TwoDayLife posted:

Yeah, I enjoy the podcast but Henry and Bob will go off on weird tangents from time to time that can make listening to some episodes a chore. Also, for people who do tons of research on a throwaway line Homer said once, they're pretty bad at times getting basic facts about random political figures or events right. It's not the end of the world, but it's kind of annoying that they can spend what seems like hours researching a throwaway joke, but can't take five minutes to read a wikipedia article.

Even still, it's one of the better podcasts I listen to, so they're doing something right.

diana owns and i wish she were on more episodes of talking simpsons

the subject matter isn't always what i'm interested in but the trio of diana, chris, and dave is the main reason i keep tuning into thirty twenty ten

Agreed on all counts.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
This is a pretty good podcast. I like that they add in Simpsons audio so I am reminded of the episode they are talking about.

But who the gently caress is this guy that keeps going on long tangents about himself and his uninteresting childhood. He's way annoying and I don't care to hear his long monologues.

Also the commercial in the beginning has a fire alarm beeping because it's low on batteries. Lol.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Stuff You Should Know did a Simpsons special for the 999th and 1000th episode. As much as I like Josh and Chuck, it seemed like a lot of the show went whoooosh over their heads when the classics were airing and they never fully "got it". There's no way for me to explain what I mean without this turning into a "Rick and Morty requires a 180 IQ to understand"-style post, but the point is that I'm itching for an actually good Simpsons podcast and will be starting this tomorrow based on the positive reviews in this thread.

30 20 10 is the only show from laser time that I've ever checked out, I didn't realize all these showed shared hosts. I really like Diana, and the guy who always talks about being from Florida. In fact I like all of the 30 20 10 people but those are my favorites and I want to hear more of them.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

life is a joke posted:

.30 20 10 is the only show from laser time that I've ever checked out, I didn't realize all these showed shared hosts. I really like Diana, and the guy who always talks about being from Florida. In fact I like all of the 30 20 10 people but those are my favorites and I want to hear more of them.

Diana is on all the Talking Critic episodes and is excellent. For Florida Guy, that is Chris and he is great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Henry is also Florida Guy occasionally.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I started listening to this show thanks to this thread, and I really enjoy it. The hosts get a little too deep into "That's the joke" territory now and then, but they do a good job of synopsizing each episode, pulling up relevant original clips when calling out references and discussing good behind-the-scenes info (Mostly gleaned from the DVD commentaries, but I haven't listened to those in years, so it's almost new to me.) I also really enjoy their personal memories about taping episodes/local affiliates/"This one NEVER came up in syndication for me" - that's the kind of kid TV nerd poo poo I can relate to (Because despite having access to TWO Fox affiliates that combined to air The Simpsons three, sometimes four times a day, Kamp Krusty, Mr. Plow and Whacking Day seemingly NEVER came up in syndication for me. I'm pretty sure I didn't see any of them in full until the DVD release!)

Does anybody know where the ad break music is from? I assume that, like the intro, it's also from the Simpsons Arcade game, but I can't identify it.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 26, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

JethroMcB posted:

Does anybody know where the ad break music is from? I assume that, like the intro, it's also from the Simpsons Arcade game, but I can't identify it.

I presumed it was the boss music from memory, but I also don't have an arcade near me with a cabinet to check at.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

I started listening to this show thanks to this thread, and I really enjoy it. The hosts get a little too deep into "That's the joke" territory now and then, but they do a good job of synopsizing each episode, pulling up relevant original clips when calling out references and discussing good behind-the-scenes info (Mostly gleaned from the DVD commentaries, but I haven't listened to those in years, so it's almost new to me.) I also really enjoy their personal memories about taping episodes/local affiliates/"This one NEVER came up in syndication for me" - that's the kind of kid TV nerd poo poo I can relate to (Because despite having access to TWO Fox affiliates that combined to air The Simpsons three, sometimes four times a day, Kamp Krusty, Mr. Plow and Whacking Day seemingly NEVER came up in syndication for me. I'm pretty sure I didn't see any of them in full until the DVD release!)

Is this it? (Also there was a Japanese Studio level in this game? That's wild)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7iGCI7_bg

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SoupyTwist posted:

Is this it? (Also there was a Japanese Studio level in this game? That's wild)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7iGCI7_bg

That's it! It's apparently the penultimate stage - I never made it past Krustyland.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I presumed it was the boss music from memory, but I also don't have an arcade near me with a cabinet to check at.

I do have one near me, but I didn't want to go pump :10bux: into the thing to find out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm up to like season four now and absolutely loving this, even their digressions into weird unrelated things. I'm totally right there with them when they talk about relating so much to Bart and or Lisa as a kid. Great podcast and their love for Phil Hartman is top notch. These guys have sold me on the giving the rest of the lasertime stuff a go too.

Here's an unrelated question though; are there any other podcasts like this where people go through series episode by episode and talk about it? I know there's one for One Piece but the hosts, and their guests, were so obnoxious I couldn't make it very far into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
West Wing Weekly is really popular, I've never listened to it but I think they do a WW per week.

• Locked thread