Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Who's the Muslim county smushed between us and the Romans? We should bring the light of Christ to their people, by violence if need be. Our ultimate goal should be driving the heathens from Magna Graecia and establishing pretty borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016

MinistryofLard posted:

Let's bring the Church back to Alexandria :getin:

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

My most honorable Chancellor, honored Assemblymen. (Assemblymen right?)

We all agree on one thing, money rules the world. The more money we have the more we can exert our power over our rivals and the world at large. So from this logic we can all agree that we must find ways to make more money. The wonderful guilds of Amalfi have generated much wealth for your Excellency. (How should we style you sir?) However those guilds have no hall for them to do their business, they must make deals in there homes like mere peddlers, by BUILDING A GUILD HALL IN AMALFI you shall benefit as well as shall we.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Erwin the German posted:

Anyway, Sardinia seems like a nice, juicy target right about now.

This seems like a swell idea!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

LordGugs posted:

My most honorable Chancellor, honored Assemblymen. (Assemblymen right?)

We all agree on one thing, money rules the world. The more money we have the more we can exert our power over our rivals and the world at large. So from this logic we can all agree that we must find ways to make more money. The wonderful guilds of Amalfi have generated much wealth for your Excellency. (How should we style you sir?) However those guilds have no hall for them to do their business, they must make deals in there homes like mere peddlers, by BUILDING A GUILD HALL IN AMALFI you shall benefit as well as shall we.

: Fool! We already have a guild hall in Amalfi! Also, "Your excellency" will do fine.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
West by North-South: Leo Ursuo 881-884

: Well, I must say there’s more of the Mo- Fraternities here than I thought. More greeks too and far less lombards and churchmen than I’d think.

: Speaking of Churchmen, there’s this guy. I’m sure you’re all up to date on the news so I won’t strain myself further in description. The portrait is a tad old though, shortly after it was made he ended up a vassal of the emperor up north. Tough to be him!

: Speaking of people who it sucks to be: meet mister Sheik Masinissa, our little neighbour. Don’t worry, he won’t be staying long. Though getting rid of him was just slightly harder than I thought.

: His most spineless up there wouldn’t sanction my righteous battle, you see. So I just had to take it using those age-old justifications of “I want to” and “I’m bigger than him.” People don’t like it as much, but it was no matter. The man was a heretic among heretics and frankly didn’t have a chance in hell of doing anything to stop me.

: The only real wrinkle was that some roman strategos had gone and tried to take it at the same time. Of course, we met right there in front of the Sheik’s little fortress. I looked at his little army, he looked at my big army and he rode off straight for home.

: Needless to say, the end was never in doubt after that. The man had barely five hundred troops to his name and was an outcast, let’s be real here.

: The same was true of that little boy in Sardinia…. Ah, but I get ahead of myself. That wasn’t for a while yet. I needed to rest my troops after taking Taranto, after all.

: Off in the east, weird things were happening, as I recall. Some zealot gathers up fourty thousand screaming horsemen and lays waste to a tiny spot in the Indus and sits there for years after. Just as well, really. The huns are dead and buried with Bleda and Attila, the Magyars settled and Christian! The age of the great eastern hordes is over. Anyway, that was far from the strangest- oh, but I get ahead of myself again.

: Not too far ahead, mind you. I didn’t have much time to spend sitting around and what time I did have- ugh. So apparently, when sico goes and pretends the church doesn’t even exist it’s alright, but when I make a few gentle criticisms, suddenly I’m the bad guy? Pfeh. Well, I wouldn’t stand to deal with that nonsense.

: So, Per your advice I decided to deal with that child in Sardinia instead. Now, I thought this would be an easy, soft target to start our conquest of Mare Nostrum, but apparently…

: …So did the duke of Sardinia. Luckily, history repeats. We went there, he was there. He demanded to know what we were doing. I told him we were there for the city. He looks over at my army, back at his, says “very well” and rides off west to deal with the kid’s army.

: So it goes. The city was mine and it was.. adequate. Nothing special, really. Of course, nothing in life comes without annoying complications.

: Like half the drat transport fleet deciding they’d like to go play pirate. My half of the drat transport fleet, to be specific. Why the hell are ships so expensive?! They’re made of wood, you can get wood anywhere! I even had to take out a loan…

: But only for a few days before, surprise: two trade fleets of mine arrive, one from the north, another from the south-east, with quite the duet of stories. Now, which to tell first? Hrmm…

: I suppose what’s going on the north is more important, broadly. So! The great new empire of the west has cracked in half, as you can see. I don’t know how it happened, exactly. Some say that the Emperor’s indifference to that little Ecumenical Council triggered it, others think a succession dispute of some kind. Whatever it was, it’s ended up with the west and south still “imperial” and the east under the rule of a puppet child-king and both of them squabbling over a handful of counties. My fleet has come, bearing treasures of those fleeing the fighting and confusion, thankfully paying off of mine- and the federations’- debts.

: That in mind, I can consider what the eastern fleet brought a very personal bonus. Not the news though, the news is terrifying. A demonic cannibal king now rules over all of southern Hindustan, which is very odd, as I had heard it to be a heavenly land of kind pacifists. Heathen pacifists, mind you, but back on topic: He’s a monster who consumes the flesh of any man who slightly displeases him, summoning demons and devils to do his bidding, I hear. In any case, my fleets at the southern ports have managed to gain a little windfall transporting refugees trying to get as far away from the man-beast as possible.

: They aren’t the only ones looking for a windfall though. Apparently, the tithes I so generously let him collect weren’t enough for our dear patriarch. Well, I am not an unkind man.. *laughs* I didn’t kill him for his transgression. Hell, I didn’t even blind him or- god forbid, castrate him (not that it should affect a man of virtue such as him so much).

: In fact, I even gave him permission to put on a show for the people! And what a show it was. Why he even got to walk away from it a free man. (Like hell I’d give him back that job though).

: Also on the subject of people I don’t like who were stealing my money: Gaeta, that little speck of a republic that was to our north, stealing all the good routes and such, was shockingly-

: -Legally a part of Adelfer’s little league! Of course, they wouldn’t acknowledge that or pay the taxes they owed. So I thought that making them pay their dues might me a good way to get me on his good side.

: Things were a bit more tense than when I gave the Sheik and that kid a good kicking. They even hired a mess of mercenaries to try and match us. Ah, the battle was grand that day.

: Best part of it all of course, was getting the Mayor and his hired blade all in one. Not only was the war over then and there without having to damage anything of worth, but I also got a neat little sum from selling that captain back to his army-for-sale.

: But after all I did for him, did Adelfer give a drat? No! The bastard had the temerity to go around, insulting me behind my back, calling me a tyrant, a bastard a cur and worse! He said that he should have been elected, that I fixed it.

: But worse than that, the mob agreed! Or if they didn’t, they still had the temerity to call me “the cruel!” After all I’ve done for them! After all I held back! After I…. I-I don’t feel so well. I think I might need to lie dow-

The Chancellor is Dead, Long Live the Chancellor!

: …WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 26, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
: Okay, I have just been informed who you people are. Now, since you seem to have not repeatedly stabbed my predecessor when his back was turned or poisoned him at your earliest convenience I think I can go ahead with his plans for you. For you see, I am extending your responsibilities. I am going to allow you to vote on a thing. Just a little one, mind you. Well, two, actually.

First of all, our name. Amalfi isn't really fitting anymore. We've got dozens of cities, fortresses, parishes and major settlements under our banner now and the vast majority of them outside the Amalfi region, let alone the town itself. To be frank, this Federation needs a new name. Now, I was thinking Magna Grecia myself, since we are great, aren't we? But this is a vote, so I will allow you to vote on a new name for the federation.

The second order of buisness is our flag. To be frank, it's just not very great. We need a new flag. Now, I don't have any ideas myself, so I'm turning to you. Put forward your ideas for a new flag as you will.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Magna Graecia was what I'd have suggested, my lord Chancellor. It does seem most fitting, doesn't it?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Not terribly sure about Magna Graecia, since I've no idea what fraction of our population is Greek. No ideas on the flag either. Maybe something with money on it?

Mostly I'm just here to put up this sign my local diocese has been hanging on to for some time. I think it looks quite nice

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

Not terribly sure about Magna Graecia, since I've no idea what fraction of our population is Greek. No ideas on the flag either. Maybe something with money on it?

Mostly I'm just here to put up this sign my local diocese has been hanging on to for some time. I think it looks quite nice

: Well, as you can see from the map, the core cities in the west are Greek, but most of the rest is Lombardic. We also have Sardinians in that new city of ours to the west. Also, that is a very odd sign...

Fun fact: they're actually the last longobard (not /lombard/ which is actually a minor northern italian culture. Longobards are in the elbe german cultural group) provinces outside of a few islands in the north. Italy's now split up into a number of Italio-romance cultures like Umbrian, Venetian, Tuscan, ect. Sardinians are actually in the insular romance cultural group though.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 26, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Grizzwold posted:

Not terribly sure about Magna Graecia, since I've no idea what fraction of our population is Greek.

That's the beautiful thing about the name. If it was in Greek, it'd be Μεγάλη Ἑλλάς, latinised as Megálē Hellás. It's the Latin name for the area, thus providing linguistic and cultural ties to both groups, as well as a common deep history. It's perfect!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's worth noting that Longobard culture as opposed to Lombard culture also has a different cultural unit building: Lombards have italian pikes, Longobards as in Amalfi get Germanic Infantry barracks instead, which give us heavy infantry specifically modeled on the roman army. With frankish culture being extinct, we have the only culture with access to this building.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

NewMars posted:

It's worth noting that Longobard culture as opposed to Lombard culture also has a different cultural unit building: Lombards have italian pikes, Longobards as in Amalfi get Germanic Infantry barracks instead, which give us heavy infantry specifically modeled on the roman army. With frankish culture being extinct, we have the only culture with access to this building.

Note also that the building automatically gets demolished if the ruler switches cultures though, so it's worthless in this multi-ethnic and religious state we have?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

Note also that the building automatically gets demolished if the ruler switches cultures though, so it's worthless in this multi-ethnic and religious state we have?

No, actually, I don't know if it's CK2+ or not, but buildings are based on province, not ruler culture, so they're maintained unless the province changes culture. Also we're not multi-religious, every province is chalcedonian christian (unschismed christianity).

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

NewMars posted:

No, actually, I don't know if it's CK2+ or not, but buildings are based on province, not ruler culture, so they're maintained unless the province changes culture. Also we're not multi-religious, every province is chalcedonian christian (unschismed christianity).

That has to be CK2+. I've played enough Byz games where I accidentally get some dipshit on my throne who became Italian or something and I lose all of my cataphract buildings.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

That has to be CK2+. I've played enough Byz games where I accidentally get some dipshit on my throne who became Italian or something and I lose all of my cataphract buildings.

Ah, well, in any case, I did test it to be sure: cultural buildings do not get demolished by ruler culture changes. So good news! We have germanized roman infantry buildings. I mean, once we have the walls to support them, anyway.

Edit: Actually, they don't even disappear if the culture of the province changes, they just can't be upgraded anymore. Plus you can build the buildings of the new culture, too.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 26, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

The Mezzogiorno Republic is of course the strongest name! And while I do not have a flag at hand I do believe something including the Triancria is suitable, despite it being in use of our dear Greek brethren compatriots in the council.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MG seems as good a name as any. We can always change it later, as appropriate.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

NewMars posted:

: Fool! We already have a guild hall in Amalfi! Also, "Your excellency" will do fine.

Wait why didn't anyone tell me!!!!

Real talk, totally read that image wrong. Also The Mezzogiorno Republic is an awesome name... for now.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

The Mezzogiorno Republic... or, well, more likely 'Federation of Mezzogiorno', as I understand things... sounds like the obvious choice.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
I dug through the CK2+ flag files for all italian related kingdom and empire flags (Too lazy to hunt down all the duchy and county tier ones). Here's a screenshot of them, if you end up wanting to use one just go to Crusader Kings II\mod\CK2Plus\gfx\flags and grab the one with the correct filename.

Personally, i'm a big fan of e_neapolitan. Also, count me as another vote for Mezzogiorno.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

nweismuller posted:

The Mezzogiorno Republic... or, well, more likely 'Federation of Mezzogiorno', as I understand things... sounds like the obvious choice.

The Mezzogiorno Republic works. Though if we're feeling extra fancy we could go for the "Federated Cities of Magna Graecian Mezzogiorno" but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rubix Squid posted:

The Mezzogiorno Republic works. Though if we're feeling extra fancy we could go for the "Federated Cities of Magna Graecian Mezzogiorno" but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Make it the "Federated Republics of Magna Graecian Mezzogiorno" and you have an excellent official name for the state more commonly known as the "Mezzogiorno Republic", or at least an official name I could get behind.

Zakrelo posted:

I dug through the CK2+ flag files for all italian related kingdom and empire flags (Too lazy to hunt down all the duchy and county tier ones). Here's a screenshot of them, if you end up wanting to use one just go to Crusader Kings II\mod\CK2Plus\gfx\flags and grab the one with the correct filename.

Personally, i'm a big fan of e_neapolitan. Also, count me as another vote for Mezzogiorno.

As for flags I really wish we could get a e_lombard with more Greek motifs and not just Italian ones, or e_neapolitan with the k_triancria in white and blue instead of the fleur-de-lis at top. But either of them works, really.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Here, enjoy my :effort: first attempt.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What about just The Federation. We won't even need to change our name at all between here and Stellaris.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Mezzogiorno Republic

I'm in favour of any flag with cool animals on it instead of boring crosses. If you want to be boring go join the church and sit around reading. booooring

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Luhood posted:

e_neapolitan with the k_triancria in white and blue instead of the fleur-de-lis at top.

Something like this maybe?

e; And for those of you who think not being condemned to eternal hellfire is boring, I replaced the cross with a man on a dolphin.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 27, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Okay, so Voting ends in about six hours.

The current frontrunner is Mezzogiorno and my favorite of the flags so far is this one, I think.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I dig that flag. I can live with the Federated Republics of Magna Graecian Mezzogiorno, popularly the Mezzogiorno Republic.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

A belated and probably futile push for Greater Amalfi or some variant (Megali Amalfi? Megamalfi?).

(It'd be Greatest Amalfi in Stellaris, of course.)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Voting is now finished!

It looks like we'll be predominantly Mezzogiorno

And this will be our flag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Here it is! Touching-up on the flag courtesy of Tunapirate from the lp discord.

• Locked thread