Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunder
May 22, 2003

LawBreakers is the new team-based FPS from Arjan Brussee and Cliff Bleszinski's new studio: Boss Key Productions. It's a (very) fast-paced multiplayer shooter that mixes Unreal Tournament style modes with Overwatch style character abilities in a futuristic world where gravity has broken.

Here are some videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bRK4BQkNmQ (Cinematic trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DceFfKIjvjI (Gameplay trailer)
http://bit.ly/2uBgAtv (Class breakdowns)
http://bit.ly/2ujLEP9 (Mode breakdowns)

I didn't notice anyone talking about this game, which I'm not really surprised by, seeing as the publisher, Nexon, seems to have done very little marketing for this game. Thankfully, Boss Key did a really good job and has made a really great game with LawBreakers. It reminds me of the best parts of UT with some new Zero-G stuff thrown in. I've seen some people compare it to Overwatch, but it doesn't feel remotely like that game when you play. It's a much faster, more shooting focused game. It feels kinda like a mixture of Titanfall, Unreal Tournament and Overwatch.

It's out now on Steam and Playstation 4 for the low price of £25/$30.

Discord: https://discord.gg/rkan7S2

Gunder fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This took me about 3 games to grasp, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Played all of the betas, and am excited to finally see it release. Gives me the same feeling of the old Unreal Days.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I am the best Wraith

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Game is good.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I have never been so bad at a video game.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I don't like Ctrl as the button to propel through the air. It feels like it should be something easier to hit like right-click (or spacebar somehow) since it's so important for moving. I think I'll rebind it to Shift and use F or something for secondary ability. Fun so far. Reminds me of Dirty Bomb.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Are there any persistent elements or stuff you need to play to unlock?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Is this actually good the very very short time I had on the old beta didn't feel great, and the art style is kinda freemium. Interested as I'm hoping we get another big UT/Q3 classic multiplayer shooter style game. Is it worth grabbing? Or wait for a sale?

Was looking at fort nite but that looks a bit lame and minecrafty despite being epic so wasn't sure on that.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Hexenritter posted:

Are there any persistent elements or stuff you need to play to unlock?

Just cosmetics, loot crates on levels like Overwatch. Weapon and character skins. Nothing gameplay. You have access to all the characters immediately, and you can’t edit their loadouts.

FWIW I’m finding it to be super fun so far. The speed is great, the mobility is great, and none of the character abilities feel oppressive yet. The biggest thing that feels off so far is the speed and art style make it kinda hard to tell who’s who in the middle of a fight sometimes. I’d agree that (outside of the crates) it feels more old-FPS than Overwatch. I think a big part of that is there’s not much in terms of characters having dedicated roles, they all feel just like different preferences for weapon types rather than “this is the defender guy. This is the attacker guy” since all the characters and weapons are pretty drat lethal. I’ve been mostly playing Enforcer, that rifle is fine and dandy at any range and holy poo poo that handgun up close is brutal.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 8, 2017

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This game is a lot of fun and all the characters are fun. However, I seem to be getting hit with a bug where the matchmaker gives the enemy team a dude that does twice or more kills as the next highest person and I'd prefer that he end up on my team sometimes.

Really though, the only issues I've hit are like mentioned above, it can be hard to pick out who is who quickly, but I'm sure that'll change with experience. Another is the loot system, because it feels like the crates are filled with stickers you can barely see that crowd out the actually interesting drops.

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!
This game has been on my radar for a while because it looks real fun. But the lack of players (3000 at peak), on launch day, is very concerning. I don't want to buy a multiplayer only game that will be a ghost town in a week.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Ironically it's holding me back too I get the feeling it'll be dead soon as good/bad as it maybe.

Think it could have a bit more art flavour and interesting characters. It feels a little like a freemium game but isn't. Don't think they have the right publisher either?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Yeah, that's a totally valid worry, and I have it too even having bought the game. Won't be much fun to play if there's no one to play with. Just hope that doesn't end up being the case, I've been playing it basically all night/morning and having a blast.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think it feels like a really well made multiplayer game that didn't bother spending development money on a superfluous single player campaign. It knows what it is, and it happens to perform its roll better than most shooters I've seen.

Before I'd played it, I thought it looked fairly generic and bland, but actually playing it made me realise how well Boss Key understands shooter mechanics. Everything just feels really good, from the movement to the shooting.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The beta for this owned and I managed to clock in like 10 hours, however buying this is probably a bad idea since theres hardly any players and will probably go F2P soon

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The trailer made me think of Tribes. Does it scratch that itch a bit?

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
This game is great. It's been mentioned here, but all of the class-based shooters I've played it comes by far the closest to capturing that feeling I got from UT - fast and responsive movement, powerful and satisfying weapons, smooth input. I've had a ton of fun playing every class; the game seems really balanced (which may not last as people learn the game, but so far it's promising).

I'd say the biggest issue is that many people interested in buying it are being so fatalistic; "Is this game DOA? Should I buy it?". If everyone asking these questions just bought and played it, you'd never go for want of players.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It's worth mentioning that Titanfall 2 has a pretty small player base on pc (around 2000-5000 a night) and I never have any problems queueing into games quickly.

A lot of people are quick to pronounce games dead on arrival, but that ain't necessarily so, just because it isn't in the top 10 most played games on steam.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 8, 2017

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You do get into a lot of fights in anti-grav zones where you are both flying through the air trying to hit eachother for a good 5 seconds, in that way the combat does have a Tribes feel.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You'd probably like Vanguard, a character that has a forward propulsion jetpack. You can ski hop with her as well if you know what you're doing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I really hope this gets some attention. Reviews are good, game is really good and fun but playing with pubbies who desperately attempt to play Enforcer as a cover shooter is pretty terrible. I need a goon presence.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Night Blade posted:

You'd probably like Vanguard, a character that has a forward propulsion jetpack. You can ski hop with her as well if you know what you're doing.

Confirmed Vanguard is the best class. Like I was so confused at how to play until I played Vanguard. Ski around the map with a minigun? Can do.

My favorite match was playing Vanguard on not-2fort intel. Right out of spawn fly forward into the anti grav then coast to the gravity well, hop at the right time and do a couple loops around their base firing like a maniac before boosting back out.

E: Also the trailers for this game are great

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 8, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
based on the beta this game is super cool. a bit too much hitscan but otherwise good and the movement/abilities feel a lot better than its competitors if you're interested in an FPS first and a Hero-based game second. unfortunately I'm broke as a joke so I can't buy it right now but hopefully later this month.

and lol @ 3000 seeing unplayable. games with small communities are fine, you end up actually seeing the same people and that's cool. better than just fighting faceless randos every single match. lots of my favorite multiplayer games regularly have 500-1k players on at peak and it's still fine unless you're worried about getting stomped all the time (but that's the fastest way to improve anyway), and from the sounds of things there are plenty of awful people playing this.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Vanguard rules. You have to be hit and run because she doesn't have that much HP and the minigun shreds at closer ranges so you have to plan to just in and do some damage then jet away to recover.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Loved the hell out of this game in Beta (not even the last Beta, the one where Wraith was op as gently caress), and will probably be picking this up Friday when I get paid. Do we have a means of getting goons together for pub-stomping fun?

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
As someone who has been horribly addicted to pubg for the past however long it's been out, this game really scratches that forgotten UT-like itch. That as well as frequent Tribes flash backs I think I'll be stuck into this a fair bit. The movement and shooting just feels really natural somehow.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gIPloO7Urc&t=29s

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I got this, whose gonna make the discord?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Discord: https://discord.gg/rkan7S2

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://twitter.com/lawbreakers/status/895499819002867712

guessing some kind of teaser for dlc or a free skin or something

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I plumped for this over Hellblade yesterday whilst waiting for the washing machine repair guy. Having a lot of fun. Still think the characters look kinda lame and don't like many of the gun art. Also not sure if I would have preferred loadouts/pickups to 'roles' but the pure moment to moment is great fun.

Will probably get more out of this than hellblade which is a steam sale game to me, esp as I've never really enjoyed ninja theory that much?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://twitter.com/lawbreakers/status/895706532842745856

I was right, 3 free loot crates tomorrow (11th) if you log in at some point today.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

gently caress I wanna play this but like... where should i play it. I assume PC or is goon presence on PS4 more noteworthy.

Also didn't Nexon add the price tag or was it never gonna be F2P from the start.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm gonna pick this up and play it for the next month until Destiny 2 comes out, which is approximately how long the game will have a player base.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Man this game is full of satisfying maneuvers to do, like sticking someone with an exploding dagger and gunning them down as the dagger blows up.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

widespread posted:

gently caress I wanna play this but like... where should i play it. I assume PC or is goon presence on PS4 more noteworthy.

Also didn't Nexon add the price tag or was it never gonna be F2P from the start.

I would think that various movement tricks will be much harder to do effectively on a pad versus a mouse and keyboard.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Catching most of the enemy team standing in a healing station, just as your Gunslinger ult spins up, is a pretty amazing feeling. Hello instant triple kill! :unsmigghh:

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I don't remember the last time I've had so many close games. It's almost always a long, grueling fight for every point. I love it.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

deadwing posted:

I'm gonna pick this up and play it for the next month until Destiny 2 comes out, which is approximately how long the game will have a player base.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Well poo poo this game is actually extremely good and it flopping is really sad

• Locked thread