Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can't wait for Valve's take on Hearthstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Said while warmly and genuinely smiling and excitement visible in eyes: Can't wait for Valve's take on Hearthstone!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

super sweet best pal posted:

Can't wait for Valve's take on Hearthstone.

I can. You know what? gently caress irony, enough joking, time to be sincere and caremad: Valve used to set trends*, not follow them. The fact that they're willing to do blatantly follow the example of other popular game trends, especially in the wake of many of their senior level/gameplay designers, writers, game programmers etc. leaving in the last couple of years, is a really bad sign and further verifies the rumors that in-house game development is far on on the back burner. In half a decade Valve won't be a game developer, they'll be a former game developer. They'll be "that company that runs Steam".

*in fact, the 'innovative' trends Valve set were mostly bad, like unskippable narrative levels in action games, and elevator/tram sections, and microtransactions/loot boxes in non-free2play games. I sincerely doubt that there is anything that the prospective Half-Life 3, which every gaming community wishes for, could do to actually set good trends and not be wholly derivative of games it influenced (a'la Duke Nukem Forever)... So ah gently caress 'em anyway, they've done way more harm to gaming than good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sir this is a mcdonalds drive through... but you do make some good points

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I can. You know what? gently caress irony, enough joking, time to be sincere and caremad: Valve used to set trends*, not follow them. The fact that they're willing to do blatantly follow the example of other popular game trends, especially in the wake of many of their senior level/gameplay designers, writers, game programmers etc. leaving in the last couple of years, is a really bad sign and further verifies the rumors that in-house game development is far on on the back burner. In half a decade Valve won't be a game developer, they'll be a former game developer. They'll be "that company that runs Steam".

*in fact, the 'innovative' trends Valve set were mostly bad, like unskippable narrative levels in action games, and elevator/tram sections, and microtransactions/loot boxes in non-free2play games. I sincerely doubt that there is anything that the prospective Half-Life 3, which every gaming community wishes for, could do to actually set good trends and not be wholly derivative of games it influenced (a'la Duke Nukem Forever)... So ah gently caress 'em anyway, they've done way more harm to gaming than good

Yes. Furthermore,

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's all negated though by making the greatest game of all time, DOTA 2

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

seeing one of my favourite developers slowly turn into this over several years has been disheartening

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i had to start using a 4:3 ratio in csgo instead of 1080p because so much loot has been added its more than halved my fps from when i started playing

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ArfJason posted:

seeing one of my favourite developers slowly turn into this over several years has been disheartening

This, but Capcom and Konami

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
at least the Capcom guys can quit and go make good games again somewhere else, Konami harasses people who leave and transfers all the timid people out of games to spend the last twenty years of their working lives doing payroll at a gym or something

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Konami owns a bunch of awesome IPs and refuses to do anything cool with them which makes them extra bad.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's kind of shocking how Konami pulled the biggest heel turn in gaming history

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Konami owns a bunch of awesome IPs and refuses to do anything cool with them which makes them extra bad.

What about Bomberman R!?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

What about Bomberman R!?
The last good Bomberman game was made over 10 years ago.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

The last good Bomberman game was made over 10 years ago.

Sweet.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's kind of shocking how Konami pulled the biggest heel turn in gaming history

its genuinely crazy, but at least they didnt invent crate+key roulette unlike valve

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Thank god Valve aren't beholden to shareholders.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Future update coming to Steam: a monthly fee that gives you access to official Valve multiplayer servers along with a free pair of hit indie titles every month.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trying to jack off posted:

i had to start using a 4:3 ratio in csgo instead of 1080p because so much loot has been added its more than halved my fps from when i started playing

The freaking bright pink guns and poo poo suck too because it throws my contour recognition off and distracts me, on top of just being real ugly in general

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

What about Bomberman R!?

im still pissed about how bad that game is

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bill Barber posted:

Yeah, you're right, a co-op zombie defense survival game isn't cool...... it's fuckig epic

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

srs though is hearthstone fun enough to get competitive card games like this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fredrik1 posted:

I'll tap two blast pits and use my Alyx once per turn ability to destroy both of your combine troopers, can't believe they finally released half life 3. Your turn.

hahaha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fredrik1 posted:

I'll tap two blast pits and use my Alyx once per turn ability to destroy both of your combine troopers, can't believe they finally released half life 3. Your turn.

Half Life 3: C.A.R.D. Revolution

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

At this point improvements to Steam's profile pages would be big news.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I would like for valve to bring the japanese-only half life 2 arcade machine to the west please.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

If you want a vision of the future of PC gaming, imagine Blizzard and Valve ripping each other off - forever.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

yeah actually they will posted:

I would like for valve to bring the japanese-only half life 2 arcade machine to the west please.

this, killing people with the energy orbs in that game is way too fun

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

We live in a new era in which AAA games are titled like indie games, with a single common word from the dictionary.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sir John Feelgood posted:

We live in a new era in which AAA games are titled like indie games, with a single common word from the dictionary.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i haven't played a valve game since half life 1 :smugbird:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
ive never played half life 1 :grin:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

If you want a vision of the future of PC gaming, imagine Blizzard and Valve ripping each other off - forever.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

rediscover posted:

it was pretty good except for some awful platforming bits

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

It's sick as hell

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

lol

In Training posted:

It's sick as hell

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

its called artifact because it is going to cause the collapse of human civilization and artifacts will be all that is left of our pathetic race

• Locked thread