Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Why did this have to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I can. You know what? gently caress irony, enough joking, time to be sincere and caremad: Valve used to set trends*, not follow them. The fact that they're willing to do blatantly follow the example of other popular game trends, especially in the wake of many of their senior level/gameplay designers, writers, game programmers etc. leaving in the last couple of years, is a really bad sign and further verifies the rumors that in-house game development is far on on the back burner. In half a decade Valve won't be a game developer, they'll be a former game developer. They'll be "that company that runs Steam".

*in fact, the 'innovative' trends Valve set were mostly bad, like unskippable narrative levels in action games, and elevator/tram sections, and microtransactions/loot boxes in non-free2play games. I sincerely doubt that there is anything that the prospective Half-Life 3, which every gaming community wishes for, could do to actually set good trends and not be wholly derivative of games it influenced (a'la Duke Nukem Forever)... So ah gently caress 'em anyway, they've done way more harm to gaming than good

seeing one of my favourite developers slowly turn into this over several years has been disheartening

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's kind of shocking how Konami pulled the biggest heel turn in gaming history

its genuinely crazy, but at least they didnt invent crate+key roulette unlike valve

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sir John Feelgood posted:

If you want a vision of the future of PC gaming, imagine Blizzard and Valve ripping each other off - forever.

lol

In Training posted:

It's sick as hell

yeah

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rock My Socks! posted:

its called artifact because it is going to cause the collapse of human civilization and artifacts will be all that is left of our pathetic race

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Half life writer wrote an ending for the series RIP
https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md
Would have been cool to have played that I guess.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, everybody who made half life half life is not even there. The last paragraph of that story is laidlaw saying he knows noone at valve anymore.
I disagree that fresh blood is worthless, hell thats insane potential, but they wont be able to make half life 3 meaningful (i doubt even the old staff could) and should be put to making something interesting instead of dota card games

Also i think the wheelie desk thing has lead to a lot of the issues in modern day valve, like noone wanting to curate greenlight or do steam support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Also, im still amazed how polished and coherent portal 2 is given that its made by what amounts to sheep herding themselves when they feel like it

• Locked thread