Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think we should agree that the Element is a perfectly good choice, so this thread can now move onto the important details, such as what you're going to airbrush up the side. Three wolf moon? Motherfuckin' DRAGONS? Red Sonja fan art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Careful, I think US customs are wise to non US diesels being imported for conversions, may not allow it.

If that side checks out, though, a front cut with everything is likely your best bet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you *did* really, really want a CDTi, there is a potential workaround: A foreign national can bring a vehicle in temporarily as long as they're in the country, provided it is re-exported or destroyed when they leave. So someone like me could bring an entire car in, which you then destroy/scrap, and have the engine out of.

It'd still more than a little shady, but I think it's about the only way you could get what you need over the border "legally".

Though... How do they know an engine's age? If the psperwork says it's out a '95 Accord, do they know any better?

How is LPG availability/cost in the USA? Could that help? I mean, your fuel's so cheap, it's kind of a moot point IMO, but up to you. Would also mean not driving a small, manual transmission road car with a diesel, which really isn't very enjoyable anyway. I'll always say that the USA's fascination with wanting a manual small diesel is a grass being greener issue, they're kind of an emperor's new clothes deal.

It's a pity you don't get the Skoda Yeti in the USA, that's probably ideal for you.

What about an estate car/wagon? Audi A6 Allroad, for example?

• Locked thread