Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
I have lived in a wide variety of vehicles over a long period of time. Right now in a lifted 4x4 e-250. It is really about the smallest thing I'd want to live out of for more than a few months. A cargo van is *already* a micro-RV, when you try to get much smaller you hit diminishing returns p quick. You can do it, but the quality of life hit just isn't worth it. Also you mentioned wanting to be inconspicuous? No one looks twice at a tradesman van. Parts are cheap/everywhere. There's a lot of aftermarket support for camping out of them, and they are designed from the factory to have custom equipment installed/be built out. Lots of mounting points, cable runs, etc. They're "boring" and not Asian like you wanted, but there's a reason so many people suggested em. My next project is going to be an Astro/Safari van with S-10 running gear for 4wd and a Buick 3.8 (all oem/drop in parts!). I think something like that would be great for your situation, and a stock Astro would be fine.

I could go on about vans for an age (and will at the slightest provocation) but I'm getting off-topic and more into what I want to build so. Moving on. I hugely recommend you try living out of whatever vehicle you have now, seeing what you like/don't like about it, and using that to inform your selection. Little things like how easy it is to get in and out while set up for sleeping, which windows you can open/crack, how easy having curtains is, where the lights are, being able to run just the stereo for tunes all start to have a much bigger impact when you have to live with them on a regular basis. If you're that set on the Element, rent one for a weekend with a critical eye and give it a shot. I think you'll want at least some food storage/prep capabilities once you try it out.

Oh and I'd look into Subaru wagons if you really just want to keep it non-van/Asian. EJ bits are cheap/available, they get decent mileage, they have those fold-flat seats, awd is nice to have, they're pretty common/inconspicuous, front seat is a nice place to build a little kitchen area/desk, you can turn the interior lights on/off from the back, lots of built in storage spots. Source: moved into a 1990 Legacy when I was 15. Had three people living out of that car one summer

420 SWAGLORD fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread