Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I'm a software engineer that works remotely, and I enjoy being a vagabond. I owned an element from 2011 to 2016, and probably did full-time travel for about two years out of that time period. The element worked fairly well for a low budget rig. I removed the rear seats and kept a inflatable air mattress in the back.

I looked into a diesel engine swap, too. There is little to no documentation online, parts aren't available for that engine in the united states, and it won't pass emissions if you live in a metro area or state that requires it.

It is awd, but the transfer case is based off a centrifugal clutch. The only way to transfer power to the back wheel is to make the front wheels slip. This was easy in my car, since it was a manual, but the automatic would be more unpredictable. It handled the Sierra Nevadas, Tehachapi, and Rocky Mountains pretty well during four winter storms. The only way to get predictable power to the ground was to drift it around the corners. Otherwise the front would slip first and the added power to the rear would try to drive you straight off the road. Oddly enough its a fun as hell car to toss around in low traction environments. It did make it ~500 ft vertically up an atv trail on Alamagre South. The snow was so thick that the bumper acted like a plow. Then, it would stop, slide back a few feet, and we could give it another go. I made a bit closer to the top of a ridge before realizing how stupid this idea was. Then, we pinballed down the trail in reverse.

Don't waste the money on the conversion top. For less money, you can put a roof rack and pop up tent on top. You might be able to get $500 out of the $5000+ put into the conversion when you decide to sell the car. If you decide to go the pop up tent route, you can also spend your money on a more capable or larger vehicle. Keep in mind at the end of the day this is going to be an element, and worth about $5k after pouring $15k into it.

If you change out the shocks and suspension, be sure to use stock sizes. They are based off a crv frame and the cv joints will wear out extremely quickly if lifted, even for a Honda.

The next rig that I'm building out is a 92 F350 with a 67 Avion truck camper. Although, a truck camper is a little more full time and gypsy looking than what you want. That said there are some neat simplier options out there. You can also sell the camper part or use it on another vehicle when the element or truck finally drives it's wheels off. A couple cool options: https://austin.craigslist.org/rvs/d/vintage-alaskan-slide-in-pop/6245356118.html . https://i.imgur.com/jLl5LA9.jpg

Your needs might be better suited in a transit connect.

If you decide to go with an element, keep it stock and build something like this in the back:

Entone fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For max versatility (on an Element or a Scion or whatever), should I be looking at an AWD variant or a FWD variant, and stick or manual? I'm only okay at stick but would get better fast, and most of my stick ability comes from being accustomed to shifting on motorbikes so it crosses over pretty well.

Entone, so glad someone with on-nose experience stopped in! Can you clarify slightly what factors caused you to move on from the Element? For me it's less a budget issue and more of trying to be as car-like as possible (something that I can parallel-park when I go into a city). Given that the $5k pop-top was one of the exuberant ideas that had me looking at the Element over the Scion xB, does anyone have a good argument why I should go for the Scion instead, whether for ride, mileage, parts/service availability, etc?

I originally bought the element, because I adopted a greyhound and owned an s2000. I kinda fell into the vagabond life with it. A transit connect is just as city friendly as an element, and as mentioned about the same exterior size with a >25% increase in useable space.

Where are you located and where you do plan on traveling? AWD only really helped due to admittedly being a hooning jackass in the mountains during winter storms.

Regarding feeling claustrophobic with a closed off van, you'll be craving for more privacy after the first night in an element. The top of an airmattress reached the bottom of the window in the back. It's weird to wakeup at a trailhead or rest stop with someone visibly right next to you when you're too exhausted to put up any sort of curtain.

Entone fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 11, 2017

• Locked thread