Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Your employer doesn't reimburse you for hotels? Time to :yotj:

But if you really want to do this, I'll throw in the comedy option: Have you considered a fullsize wagon?

Can be had for $3k out in SoCal, gets decent highway mileage by V8 standards, and cops will assume you're a 75-year-old white guy. Can also be had as a Chevy without the wood and with lesser/more economical engine options, possibly even a V6. Con: it's twenty years old at the newest. Pro: cheap to fix and any parts store in the western hemisphere will stock engine repair parts, because it's a drat small-block Chevy.

Seriously, though

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

And mini-van with fully-enclosed rear is right-out since I don't want to sleep in a claustrophobic cave, but I'd be open to something like the Kangoo's US-equivalent, though that's still lower on my possibles list than the Element and xB.
A minivan is going to be much bigger inside than the cube SUVs you're looking at, especially if you leave the back seats at home/sell 'em on Craigslist to local college students as dorm-room sofas. Also has the police-invisibility field. Sure, you can't fully stand up in it and definitely don't want an onboard toilet, but it's plenty spacious for a metal tent. I'm pretty sure my home desk setup and a decent bed would fit in the back of a minivan with the back seats taken out. If not being eaten by bears/robbed by crazed tweakers bothers you that much, it can't be that difficult to buy a tent, cut it in half, and figure out a means of attaching the door half of the tent to the open liftgate of a minivan.

Edit: apparently the seats fold flush with the floor now. 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan with rear seats folded: 140.3 cubic feet. Element with seats folded: 74.6 ft³. So the "claustrophobic cave" is very nearly twice the space as your current top choice. And I doubt it's terribly much less, if any, for used models.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah, but then you get to deal with the reliability that goes with a Caravan. :v:

They're not bad when new, and can be had pretty cheap with low miles when used, but they're pretty famous for the transmissions taking a poo poo.

Fair play. And first-gen Ford Windstars had head gasket issues. Does anybody other than Mopar still make minvans, or is it all Euro delivery vans?

• Locked thread