Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm very down for prime Bobcats Gerald Wallace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

2k should just turn online play into a MOBA and charge for cosmetics only. Let people progress through their offline careers with skill points earned in games like in old days

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have some thoughts after loving around a bit with my dude who's an offensive Wing type.

Controls take some time to get used to from 2k. Not really radically different aside from dribbling stuff but just the timing and feel is different. I'm not really gonna say BAD though. 2k makes everything feel a lot more...graceful I guess than it really is. Players feel more realistic in Live aside from a rather glaring issue of jumpers floating like delicate little butterflies no matter who does them. Dribbling is a bit bare bones feeling (but I haven't unlocked much, maybe leveling them up helps there) but it feels more 'right' when you chain from dribbles to shots than it does in 2k.

Defending feels a lot better. Again, offensive player so I'm not gonna judge the quality based on my guy's weak rear end stats but the general 1 on 1 feel is a lot more heavy and satisfying. Collisions are major factors, posting up on a guy makes you feel like you're actually trying to get in his face and all. I can't speak to how great it'll be online and all but the feel I got was better.

Everyone else has already said presentation is miles better. Better soundtrack too, not game breaking issues but they count.

Oh maaaan player models are not great. They're not terrible or anything but compared to 2k, regardless of how fair that is, these guys look bad. As a Houston guy I especially love that Cover Athlete Harden looks like someone sculpted him out of play-dough and didn't do a great job of that even.

Character creation is incredibly bare bones and disappointing but hey, they have the app they want to push, that's understandable if annoying. I'm hoping for some nice Basketball Barbie dressup or something to maybe make that feel better? I don't have high hopes there.

Again on the stuff like dribbling and shots, 2k just has more options, even discounting the fact that I haven't unlocked much I still know there's just not a ton to pick from and that's disappointing. Same applies to talents and all, there's some neat stuff there and they're very good about narrowly fitting the role you picked, but there's very little surprise factor there. A wing plays like a wing plays like a wing. That's not a huge ding, really, no poo poo a guy in a position should play in that position but I wish they felt a bit less cookie cutter. It feels like I'm going to play against near every other wing who's almost the exact same as me whenever I go up against them.

Still, the fact that leveling and all is much smoother and less grindy kinda makes up for it, I'd rather have badges I can actually level and talents that don't take forever to get but are a bit cookie cutter than have to spend ages grinding to get a little surprise trick to pull or something.

Story seems neat. The character feels like he's more fleshed out than 2k protagonists tend to be. He's a young rising star who loves the game but he's pretty bitter about his big shot being ruined when his leg exploded. It's not a deep story by any means but he feels more real than 2k tends to. I like that the dialogue trees have tangible rewards, but they really need to tell us what those rewards actually do. I get what the Hype/RP currency is but what's with the secondary options unlocking things like "Rise Up" or whatever? Even with that mild annoyance, though, it's nice to have that stuff have an effect and the ones that do offer rewards that I understand make sense. Talk about 'love of the game' and all you get hype, talk about making some bank you get RP, do pro stuff you get both, it makes sense without being some weird Basketball Morality system or whatever 2k tries to do.

The leveling system is good. Street and League hype give different rewards but both count for your overall hype level, which, ya know, makes sense. There's no one going "OH MAN I LOVE KING HOOPS ON THE STREET BUT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF HIM IN THE NBA", it's just kinda like different social circles which works well. Kinda not wild about the big payoff being loot crates, but they don't seem terrible and it seems to be a pretty fair model, you earn a lot of funbux to buy crates with so it feels less like I'm being funneled into buying the funbux than 2k does.

Basically all in all I think Live could shape up to a genuinely solid game. I'm kinda waiting for more info about stuff like Ultimate Team before I take the plunge but with the preorder discount and all, yea I'm probably gonna pick this up unless 2k reveals some really amazing poo poo that would mean I wouldn't even touch Live. There are issues, and it for sure feels like the 'second tier' game in some ways, but I think a lot of issues come from just being so ingrained with 2k as the norm and all. Not to say anyone who dislikes live is some kinda 2k fanboy or whatever, it's a taste thing for sure, but once I got out of the 2k playstyle I found things click better.

edit:

Oh, another thing. Is 5v5 the only option for launch too, or is it just that way for the demo? If so that'd be a huge bummer because 2v2 or 3v3 would really be nice modes to have too considering how common that is.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 11, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/896023463239929856

Hmm

Rose(rip)
Butler
Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Horace
Noah(?)
Jerry Sloan?
Bob Love?

https://twitter.com/nba2k/status/896053625499246592

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I swear to god if a supersonic is on the all time thunder team 😡😡😡

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No durant I guess then

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Team should be

Russ Harden Durant Serge Adams
George Kmart Thabo Maynor Perk Dion Collison

Derek Fisher is going to be put on this team by 2k and I'm going to be upset by that too

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

HYPED.

A guess at all time Mavs starting 5
PG: there is a decent argument for Young Kidd or Steve Nash
SG: Michael Finley
SF: Mark Aguirre
PF: Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirk Nowitzki
C: 2011 Tyson Chandler. Honorable mentions to Roy Tarpley and James Donaldson if playing for more than two seasons with team is factored in. I don't know enough about them and would pick Chandler due to them winning a title with him playing at a high level.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Watched an NBA Live gameplay vid on Facebook and it looks like a PS2 remaster.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Dexo posted:

Hmm

Rose(rip)
Butler
Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Horace
Noah(?)
Jerry Sloan?
Bob Love?

Do you guys think they will put old school Hornets players on Charlotte or New Orleans? Might be better off putting them on Charlotte just for balance sake because that team would otherwise be pretty awful. You could still have a good New Orleans team without them.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Spacebump posted:

HYPED.

A guess at all time Mavs starting 5
PG: there is a decent argument for Young Kidd or Steve Nash
SG: Michael Finley
SF: Mark Aguirre
PF: Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirk Nowitzki
C: 2011 Tyson Chandler. Honorable mentions to Roy Tarpley and James Donaldson if playing for more than two seasons with team is factored in. I don't know enough about them and would pick Chandler due to them winning a title with him playing at a high level.

Derek Harper or Kidd. Sadly we lost Nash he's more associated with Phoenix than Dallas

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
After playing the Live Demo, it doesnt look as good and its sluggish and not as responsive.. but.. the best thing about it is it feels real, its more random and i cant always anticipate whats gonna happen. With the AI and my own players. I think thats the worst thing about 2K, its really predictable. The first thing i noticed was someone stealing overhead and then random layups and just different choices made by the AI, its good.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Live actually feels kinda nice to me...I haven't touched 2k since 15 though.

also, choosing celebration animations is a killer feature imo

e: also I don't have ps+ but I can play the online stuff? cool

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 13, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Camping.. Intense! posted:

After playing the Live Demo, it doesnt look as good and its sluggish and not as responsive.. but.. the best thing about it is it feels real, its more random and i cant always anticipate whats gonna happen. With the AI and my own players. I think thats the worst thing about 2K, its really predictable. The first thing i noticed was someone stealing overhead and then random layups and just different choices made by the AI, its good.

yea maybe it's just 2k burnout and all but at this point I think I'm willing to accept weaker modeling game and all for a more realistic/less cookie cutter experience.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

yea maybe it's just 2k burnout and all but at this point I think I'm willing to accept weaker modeling game and all for a more realistic/less cookie cutter experience.

It realllllly doesn't feel more realistic to me, play is weirdly floaty and the ball seems magnetized at times, combined with the at best iffy collision system and huge amount of pre canned animations and stuff.

It reminds me a lot of 2k of years past, but those are all issues they've fixed to a large degree in 2k for a while now.

I hope it doesn't sink without a hope like 16 did, but the on court part of the game needs loads and loads of work.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Live 18 seems okay, maybe it's my xxxbone controller but everything does feels slightly delayed to react, especially when hitting Y/Triangle for rebounds and blocks. Game is definitely fun-ish and we've come a long way from HE'S STANDING THERE LIKE JESUS.

Didn't try online play (is it in the demo?) but I made a 7'2 rim protector and was destroying it in the drew league

Cautiously optimistic

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Also I know this makes me a loving idiot but I really like the idea of getting cosmetics from crates, especially with the system they had. They were constantly affordable, and you could guarantee getting all items in a given crate since it was impossible to get duplicates.

e: and MOST IMPORTANTLY buying crates/cosmetics didn't interfere with player progression at all.

If they come out and say "hey we made gameplay a lot more responsive in the day 1 patch" i'd be sorely temped.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Man im a sucker for presentation gonna have to try Live asap

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I will not buy 2k on priciple but if Live irons out gameplay just a tad and does a better myteam I might pick it up. I like that they're going hard after 2k with the 40 dollar pricing.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

Hmm

Rose(rip)
Butler
Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Horace
Noah(?)
Jerry Sloan?
Bob Love?

Surely the Bulls all-time center is Artis 'A-Train' Gilmore, who was the NBA's greatest ever shooter(by FG%) until new accuracy king Deandre Jordan passed him in the last few years

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hopterque posted:

Also I know this makes me a loving idiot but I really like the idea of getting cosmetics from crates, especially with the system they had. They were constantly affordable, and you could guarantee getting all items in a given crate since it was impossible to get duplicates.

e: and MOST IMPORTANTLY buying crates/cosmetics didn't interfere with player progression at all.

If they come out and say "hey we made gameplay a lot more responsive in the day 1 patch" i'd be sorely temped.

I think the crates are perfect. I want to play dumb dressup with my dude but I don't in any way want it to feel like a chore or have to ever make any choice based on stats/progression/whatever.

I agree the game needs work for sure but yea I'm thinking I may just wait for a sale to get 2K and see how Live is when proper launch comes, nearly half off is a really smart 'pre-order bonus' for the game that I think even EA would freely admit is the store brand cola to 2K's Coke here. It's also hilarious that it's EA vs 2K doing it considering how the shoe was on the other foot last time a fight like this happened.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I ranted about this in the old thread but if EA is as generous with the upgrades/in game currency they give out as they are in fifa then people who have only been playing 2k for the past while will be in for a nice surprise. EA rewards you pretty generously for actually playing their game and even more for being good at it instead of grinding bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I hosed with FIFA a bit after drunk buying it on sale and despite not knowing literally anything about soccer I was surprised that I actually earned enough money for stuff just flailing around. I can only assume if you're actually good you can avoid paying for EA Funbux unless you absolutely must have something ASAP

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I hosed with FIFA a bit after drunk buying it on sale and despite not knowing literally anything about soccer I was surprised that I actually earned enough money for stuff just flailing around. I can only assume if you're actually good you can avoid paying for EA Funbux unless you absolutely must have something ASAP

Even if you're poo poo you still get rewarded pretty well. But yeah if you're good it's like getting a nba2k box each week free (but with fifa packs). That's not including coins. 2k absolutely grifts players in comparison to fifa so it's funny to me when fifa players complain about how bad it is.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If the way 2K's MyPlayer is structured doesn't really change, I might go with Live this year just on that. MyPlayer/The One would be like 95% of my time with the game and I kinda prefer what little I've seen of The One to how 2K17 limits your player's stats.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The only thing I need to decide is if I wanna re-remake my character or not. Started as a Wing dunk focused speedy dude, now I'm the balanced Big (hey where the gently caress did that 'Post Scorer Big' archetype go? It was on the website and poo poo) and liking it but not sure if I wanna try a different route or not.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I made a 5'8", 225 lb, white, aggressive defender PG that drains 3s, breaks ankles and dunks on fools

he wears digital camo compression sleeves on both arms, flower print joggers, a team color headband, and a sick pair of legendary Jordans while boxing out opponents at the three point line

he looks cool doing the 3 goggles or doing dad fist pumps. Live is pretty fun

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

Yeah Fifa really stepped it up this year, I'm a pretty decent player and played a lot but I got incredible rewards, like I've been rolling with the best teams I've ever had in a fifa for like half of 17's length, and I've played the game for years and years. And now at the end of the game's cycle I have a team that is pretty close to as good as you can possibly make it and I spent zero dollars.

If Live even has an ultimate team mode (which I'm not sure if they do??) it'll be interesting to see where they go with it. Madden is also pretty rewarding for the zero money spent player, if a lot more of a grind to get to the real top level stuff.

If 2k trots out the same old progression in Mycareer and Myteam I just don't know anymore.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there'll be some level of UT, one of the announced rewards for preordering is a harden crate that includes a gold card. Honestly if it's like how FIFA and Madden did their UT it should be solid without needing much tweaks, especially if they give us Draft mode.

Also, I read a take on the demo that said how great it'd be if the next Live they just scuttled their 'on the court' side and focused entirely on street/pro-am ball and forgot how much I missed NBA Street until I read that. You can do a lot shifting to a focus on 1v1/2v2/5v5 blacktop play and that'd be pretty cool. Not gonna hold my breath on that but Live somehow became the new NBA Street that'd maybe be the best timeline.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh hey so 2k17 is the first basketball game I stuck with in a long while. Do created characters in previous editions carry over to the new one?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cowboy elvis posted:

Oh hey so 2k17 is the first basketball game I stuck with in a long while. Do created characters in previous editions carry over to the new one?

unless they're doing something very different, nope. Their story mode is its own experience.

VC doesn't carry over either, because gently caress you.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

i swear to god if the melo/jr/ai nuggets arent one of these teams im burning this place down

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
for anyone who complained about responsiveness in the Live demo...they updated it and it's pretty much in fast forward now.

I played a couple rounds of the online challenges last night and it was real weird. I'm still not tired of it yet though.

How is the street/park gameplay set up in 2k these days? I haven't played did 2K15, but I still have nightmares of standing on the sideline of a game for ten minutes holding my dick waiting to play when the guy standing next to me backs out right before the game ends. That's the worst online gaming experience I've ever had and I played a lot of PS2 online. Please tell me it's better because I'm probably going to end up buying 2K18 anyways.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is jumping better now? There was an obvious delay in that.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
nah there's definitely still a delay jumping

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
NBA 2k18 ft KD's theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwBqitrE3ww

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh well. I liked a lot of what I've been playing so far. Live 18 is a definite buy for me. The player leveling up is really cool.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I promise I'll try to stop dumping on 2k but shook ones is one of my favorite songs, however, it's one of those songs you play unedited or you just don't play it at all. The instrumental would've been good but it sounds super lame in that trailer. Also 2k charges 150 bucks for their deluxe edition? lol, the audacity. Fifa's top edition is 80 bucks digitally with the right discounts applied. The amount of fleecing going on with 2k is crazy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
New gameplay blog from our Gameplay director

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/nba-2k18-gameplay-blog/10154818552137267/

I'll quote the first 2 paragraphs for you guys

quote:

THE FEEL OF THE GAME

The first thing we looked at after we wrapped NBA 2K17 was movement. From the original NBA 2K until NBA 2K17, we’ve always had an “animation-driven” motion system. So the feel of the game was largely dictated by the types of animations we captured and which animations fired off for a given input or context. This approach has served us well over the years but has also presented some significant challenges as well. Player differential, precise & consistent movement, general responsiveness, and an “animation-heavy” feel were some of those challenges in past games. Sometimes you’d want to take a step to the side but end up taking two. Sometimes your player would explode on a first step, sometimes he’d slowly ramp up depending on which animation triggered. Sometimes a slower player could gain an advantage against a faster player just because he had a favorable animation. These were the kinds of problems we knew we wanted to address this year.

Some of our top engineers spent the entire dev cycle working on a new motion engine and it turned out to be a huge game changer. To put it simply, movement is no longer driven by animations in NBA 2K18. Now, the stick input and a player’s attributes are the sole components driving how your character moves around the court. This gave us the ability to control exactly how quickly a given player can accelerate, decelerate, cut, and turn, as well as his speeds for different states (walking, running, shuffling, sprinting, etc.) simply based on his attributes. The new motion engine then takes this data and dynamically finds and stitches together the animations it needs, in real time, to animate the character. Nothing is canned, nothing pre-determined, everything is done on the fly. The results are night and day and something you’ll notice as soon as you pick up the sticks this year. Movement with and without the ball is way more consistent and predictable, which impacts the play on the court in just about every facet on both offense and defense. We’ve even implemented new movement sliders, so you guys can customize acceleration and speed of the ball handler or offball players if you prefer a quicker or slower paced game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Neat

• Locked thread