Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that sounds cool but I gotta see that in action before I get hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Hopefully they don't apply a million tweaks again and ruin all this good sounding stuff

Live is actually decent this year, so I'm looking forward to getting hands on the 2k demo in a few weeks to compare

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
05/06 Grizz and 12/13 Grizz confirmed.
https://twitter.com/OperationSports/status/897954619808030721

Also 97 Heat and 99 Knicks.
https://twitter.com/OperationSports/status/897646677171064832

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Nuggets or fuckin riot 2k

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Seltzer posted:

I promise I'll try to stop dumping on 2k but shook ones is one of my favorite songs, however, it's one of those songs you play unedited or you just don't play it at all. The instrumental would've been good but it sounds super lame in that trailer. Also 2k charges 150 bucks for their deluxe edition? lol, the audacity. Fifa's top edition is 80 bucks digitally with the right discounts applied. The amount of fleecing going on with 2k is crazy.

Comparing a price with discounts vs one that hasn't come out yet is probably not fair. Also, just don't buy the deluxe. It's not like there isn't going to be a $60 version the same as Fifa's $60.

The Glumslinger posted:

New gameplay blog from our Gameplay director

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/nba-2k18-gameplay-blog/10154818552137267/

I'll quote the first 2 paragraphs for you guys

I feel like they've posted this exact thing the last 2 or 3 years.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Lockback posted:

Comparing a price with discounts vs one that hasn't come out yet is probably not fair. Also, just don't buy the deluxe. It's not like there isn't going to be a $60 version the same as Fifa's $60.

I feel like they've posted this exact thing the last 2 or 3 years.

They have, basically. And to be fair, they have made big improvements to the gameplay each year, but lets be real here: I already trust the gameplay to be good, it's 2k, it's the other poo poo I'm worried about.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Was there any mention of fixing perimeter defenders randomly abandoning their guy, or was that fix only for consoles?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
My impossible dream for 2K is for Kevin Harlan to actually say how many rebounds I have in a game. Not my number of rebounds minus 1 like it's been for at least the last two years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

http://www.operationsports.com/nba-2k18-player-ratings-screenshots-gobert-capela-monk-many/
Lots of 2k18 player ratings.

DRose is a 78.
DSJ is a 76.
Who ends the season with a higher rating?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Live 18 is kind of ridiculous for how frequent monster blocks in the paint occur.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

cowboy elvis posted:

Live 18 is kind of ridiculous for how frequent monster blocks in the paint occur.

Are you sure you don't mean monster poster dunks?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
both

it's pretty fun. at least in the street mode anyways

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
2k18 demo drops September 8th on PS4 and XBO. We'll see what's good. That's now going to be the Comparing of New NBA Games weekend.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Dev blog about myteam is up, sounds like it's improved quite a bit in terms of poo poo to do but I'm not hearing much about quality of rewards etc.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/myteam-2k18-dev-blog/10154824643637267/

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Has anyone heard if the Nintendo Switch version of 2k18 is supposed to be exactly the same as the PS4/XB1/PC version in terms of features? I know that the Switch got a stripped down version of FIFA that doesn't include a lot of the game modes, but if 2k18 has pretty much the same game as the PS4 version, I'll probably get that one so that I can have portable basketball.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Myteam sounds much better. Think I'm gonna have to get the 99 dollar version at least

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey, they finally posted the MyTeam blog

Ao this is the stuff I've been working on all year, specifically Super Max, but I can answer any other MyTeam related questions you guys have

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Glumslinger posted:

Ao this is the stuff I've been working on all year, specifically Super Max, but I can answer any other MyTeam related questions you guys have

are the gosh dang rewards from doing solos and poo poo any good this year or is it the same like "oh play a whole game for like 1000 mt and occasionally a gold player" sort of poo poo. Domination rewards were dogshit in 2k17, basically irrelevant the moment the game even came out, challenges and stuff were pretty bad too, so if that stuff is actually Worth Doing this year it'd be great.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

The Glumslinger posted:

The supermax feature actually sounds very cool and is an interesting way of balancing around players who are just OP for their cost/level for whatever reason (usually the perfect combination of physical attributes and very low stats in areas that don't matter for their position). It also avoids my gripe of coming up against super teams non stop despite there supposedly being matchmaking for that last year. Is earning MT still tied to grinding challenges?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hopterque posted:

are the gosh dang rewards from doing solos and poo poo any good this year or is it the same like "oh play a whole game for like 1000 mt and occasionally a gold player" sort of poo poo. Domination rewards were dogshit in 2k17, basically irrelevant the moment the game even came out, challenges and stuff were pretty bad too, so if that stuff is actually Worth Doing this year it'd be great.

I always push our balance guy to be more lenient with rewards, I understand that is an extremely common complaint. Balancing the mode with the presence of the AH makes things more difficult, but I agree that the rewards should feel rewarding.

We also definitely looked at the issue with reward card being mediocre or out valued last year, and have really tried to put a lot of thought this year to make mid level and high end rewards more usable.

I think Super Max will help with that a lot. One thing that does seem to be getting a lot of traction from the blog is that each and round and season of super max will award its own prizes, some we'll be to keep scaling it as the year goes on.

Edit: oh, also, between every round, you'll be able to just play uncapped games, wo you'll still be able to use your god squads too

Oh, and there definitely was matchmaking last year for MTO, I wrote it. It just didn't solve our problems nearly well enough, and was one of the major reasons why we decided to be much bolder this year

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 18, 2017

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Finally got to play Live (drat newborn kids and their invasion of your precious vidya game time) and I love just about everything but the actual game play if they fix that to the point of at least 2k like 10 seasons ago im in

holy poo poo they have suburbs and certain high schools you can be from thats crazy

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 18, 2017

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is Live 18 confirmed NOT coming to PC? I was hoping to get it on that if so.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Good luck getting good rewards from NBA2K. Why would they reward you? That's taking micro transaction money away from them! It's gotten to the point that I'm so sick of being bled by VC that I'm going with Live this year. And I haven't gotten a live game in at least a decade.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheJetCityFix posted:

Good luck getting good rewards from NBA2K. Why would they reward you? That's taking micro transaction money away from them! It's gotten to the point that I'm so sick of being bled by VC that I'm going with Live this year. And I haven't gotten a live game in at least a decade.

Yeah I'm waiting on the mycareer reveal and if it's the same drat currency system as the last few years I'm probably gonna skip the game unless the demo blows me away.

Of course I say this now but will probably give in like a weak willed moron in the days around launch.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 18, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, I'm sorry y'all, I like what I saw for progression in live. but 2k's gameplay is usually so much better.

Unless gameplay goes backwards, probably gonna play 2k.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Every year fifa's demo gameplay is worse and different than the final product. I don't know if live is the same way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

ihatepants posted:

Has anyone heard if the Nintendo Switch version of 2k18 is supposed to be exactly the same as the PS4/XB1/PC version in terms of features? I know that the Switch got a stripped down version of FIFA that doesn't include a lot of the game modes, but if 2k18 has pretty much the same game as the PS4 version, I'll probably get that one so that I can have portable basketball.

People on Nintendo voice chat (IGN podcast) randomly claimed it would be the same in one episode. I haven't seen any solid proof one way or the other. I kind of expect it to look worse but have most of the same content.

Two more classic teams have been announced.
https://twitter.com/OperationSports/status/898348834929037312
This game is going to be so much fun.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/myteam-2k18-dev-blog/10154824643637267/
"But wait, that’s not all. For all of you maniacs who can dominate every NBA team and every Historic NBA team we have even more offline content. 33 All-time lineups comprised of the best players in each franchises history. Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Jerry, Kareem, Wilt…talk about a super-team."

I assume the Sonics are the 31st team. What franchises are 32 and 33?

Maybe the Cincinnati Royals or Vancouver Grizzlies but it's hard to pick two more teams that have enough history for good all time teams. (unless I'm missing an obvious choice. I'm assuming NOLA Hornets/Pelicans count as one)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 18, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/898650728943697920

Both these teams are :discourse:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
How much do myteam packs cost? Looking at the non-standard 2K versions that seems like the big thing, but $40 for 20 packs, one per week?

I'm interested in trying myteam from the start but last year I was swimming in VC from the mycareer endorsements so I'm not sure it would be worth the $ for just that.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea i may have to get Live towards the end of the season when im all MyTeamed out. I like The One much better than Ive liked MyCareer in some time. Probably since they made the VC harder to get and capped you

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean in the One they cap you. It just that you gain stats faster and are a competent basketball player sooner.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

New gameplay blog from our Gameplay director

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/nba-2k18-gameplay-blog/10154818552137267/

I'll quote the first 2 paragraphs for you guys

Man if it's as good as they're claiming, it really is going to be a night and day difference between 2k and Live.

Like everyone's said though, that's expected. I really want to see MyPlayer and Park/Pro-Am characters separated or just reduced grind to get your character up to snuff.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 20, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

The more I play Live the more I like it. Really growing accustomed to the player movement where there are very few invisible walls.

I noticed that players can actually be standing close to each other and move without constantly bumping around, makes for some interesting play action

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oooof i feel almost the exact opposite gameplay wise but im really looking forward to the one career mode. Seems pretty content rich

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

11 Mavs and 16 Warriors are in 2k. Game is going to own.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That means 04 05 Pacers and Pistons are in right?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/899737897435148288
Linsanity Knicks and MVP Rose Bulls. Should be fun to use.

There are supposed to be 16 new classic teams so only two left.

edit: never saw this one posted here.
https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/899375506902077440

They should have put Tyson Chandler on the cover of 2k18. He is on 4 teams.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 21, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/900039901252538368

Luol is being disrespected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Last two new classic teams. I'm shocked they didn't do a Kobe/Pau Lakers squad.
https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/900100287544795136

• Locked thread