Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I really liked this game and it's really impressive to me from an audio design perspective. I'd love to see more binaural recording in video games, and I really appreciate how much love and effort was put into voice direction and soundscape. I would absolutely buy more $30 self- paced interactive movies with this kind of production value, so I hope Senua's Sacrifice turns out to be successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My personal take on it is following the massacre of her village, a Celtic warrior reforged the great Hellblade Gramr, fought to the gates of Helheim, and bargained for the soul of her dead lover Dillion in exchange for joining Hela's army at Ragnarok.

I agree with this. she was already half in the world of the dead, and while she has forsaken her gods, and bargained away her afterlife, she has also found something resembling peace on earth until then.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

peonic posted:

If you ever come home to your wife wearing blue warpaint and wielding a huge sword...... run like the loving wind and never look back!

the warpaint was after everyone she loved was killed by Aryan invaders, dumbass. did you even play the game???

now if people come in ranks with norse runes on their clothing and shouting about the death and enslavement of those they think lesser, then you should be worried.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 17, 2017

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You can kick dudes off a lot of things, including the bridge to Hel, and I gotta say that IDK what that means for them in a cosmological sense. Are they now tapped between the land of the living and the dead? Maybe!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Over There posted:

Is there something I'm missing on this? Was there a deeper meaning to it?

Think about what happens at the end of the game. As Senua battles before Hela, the darkness reaches her head, but she no longer needs to fight it. She's accepted the past, and is moving on to the next story, she stands up, and you, or at least the camera, float away as she walks on. Your journey with Senua is over. Like a lot of things you and Senua were taught, it's not something to fear, in actuality.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

While I don't disagree with you, it's logical to speculate what really happened. It's a question that won't get answered, but it doesn't need to be shut down either.

You know, not to be that poster but imo if you're looking to find "way really happened" it kind of shows a lack of empathy and a lack of imagination? At the minimum, I think it's barking up the wrong tree.

We're in a mythological framing and a mythological time. Moreover, the story here is focused on the personal. It's about a woman's journey through Hel, yes, but it's just as much about coming to terms with her traumas. It's not even a third of the way into the game that you hear explicitly "there's nothing wrong with seeing the world the way you do, Senua," and the characters with the most positive influence on Senua's life were the ones who accepted what she saw as real, learned from her insights, and helped give her tools to cope with the horrors of life.

From a narrative perspective, Senua's journey starts far from other living humans, and ends far from other living humans. While you're not doing this explicitly, I think it's kind of an ugly reach to go "oh, a crazy lady killed a bunch of norse while hallucinating." Hellblade is a really empathetic look into mental illness. The slow awakening of the senses in the dark section as Senua invokes Dylian bringing her out of a dissociative episode is absolutely perfect, and I've been there both on the coaxing and receiving ends. If you're intent on asking what happened on earth over the course of the game, I think the answer isn't too dramatic. It's mundane, even. "A Celt warrior, daughter of a shaman, and last of her village, goes on a vision quest, and confronts the darkness of her past. She returns with a new perspective on life, and is ready live anew."

What happened in Hel is much more interesting. Senua can commune with the dead and see patterns others can't, and it has saved her in the past. She frees her lover's soul, but in exchange, abandons her gods, and forsakes her own afterlife. She discovers weapons that can fight the Northmen, and even harm their gods. Senua has defeated the darkness in her past, and gained the respect of the spirits who speak tp her. She returns eternally damned, but with the ability to live more peacefully and more coherently on earth until the time she's called into Hela's service at Ragnarok. By giving up her future and past, she's undergone a spiritual awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm not shutting anything down, I just think it's not an interesting question, and moreover, there isn't anything to build from, along that line of thought, at least not really.

As to why I think it's not a useful question? The whole point of Hellblade is to emphasize with Senua, and to see the world through her eyes and ears. Over and over, she's told that she's cursed, and that her version of reality is wrong. It's only by embracing her world that Druth and Dylian help her cope, and develop her own sense of worth. This is not a game with an unreliable narrator who is here to trick the viewer, or set up as a puzzle for you to solve, like in other works about "schizophrenics". Senua's Sacrifice is just extraordinarily honest, and I think if the advertising for the game hadn't been framed in a way that brings your preconceptions about psychosis into play, you wouldn't be so intent on imposing "reality" onto it.

e: also this

Snak posted:

I think it's pretty boring if she didn't actually go on an epic journey into hel. One of the things I really like about Hellblade is that it functions as it's own myth. Senua becoming a mythological heroine is hela cool.

• Locked thread