Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Anyway, it's a bit of an odd comparison, but somehow this game reminded me of Spec Ops: The Line quite a bit.

I find the comparison fitting, SpecOps is what I'm reminded of mostly as well here. But not in a good way.

All I get from Senua is a creepy atmosphere and very dull gameplay. Pretty much the same feelings that SpecOps evoked (not creepy there, but "alternative war"). Both promise much, and for some reason it resonates with a huge amount of players, but not with me. Both games are caged into a known genre with all their unique approaches taking actually place outside of that. I miss the connection, the game interweaving the narration and journey of a psychosis beyond "binaural 3D audio" whisperings (that frankly are such a common tool in horror movies and games that it just doesn't work as intended for me) and some effects here and there. I would've appreciated a wilder, less narrow approach (if that makes sense) with a lot less of safe space in terms of gameplay/mechanics. I don't really have the remedy ad hoc for what I've appreciate instead for this particular topic, all I know so far is that Seduna is unconvincing and breaks the 4th wall often, exactly like SpecOps, through unimaginative and frankly boring gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread