Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E: nm snake answered in the other thread.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope the permadeath thing is actually a bluff because I have died like 8 times in this burning house.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's one of the trials to get the sword. I kept getting burned while trying to look at the runes because the fire spread so fast. All in all I died about 8 or 9 times, with only one death in the game prior to that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo the trial in the darkness is spooky as all hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was really disappointed in the way Venravyn ended. He's incredibly creepy and his song made me really uneasy and creeped out, as well as the visual tricks where you see him but on closer inspection it's just a shrine. Especially the first time where he is way above you, and I legitimately was wondering if I saw a guy up there or not. Unfortunately, I think they overused the gimmick by the end. But the real kicker was just fighting him as a normal sword and board boss. Just totally killed the mystique for me

I still agree that part is a close second, but the dark triall genuinely made my skin crawl and I consider myself pretty desensitized to horror.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man I have no idea how you only died twice Snak. I am getting killed over and over and over in the river of blood and I'm playing on fuckin easy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Something weird happened where either the game took pity on me, or there was maybe a bug, or I was going in the wrong direction. But I kept dying because there were so many drat enemies. I'd usually cut though about 30 and they were still spawning, them all of sudden there was maybe...8? And the battle was over.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha wow I think I hit a game breaking problem. Although as you can see from this posting I am legitimately terrible at this game so it's not unlikely something just went over my head.

am in the mountain and I went into the basement, where your torch goes out. I think the last rune was down there, but I ran straight through because I didn't understand the light/dark mechanic and now not only can I not find my way back because of the dark and the intense visual effect, but the darkness just kills me before I can find it. Been running around for 20 minutes trying to find it again and it's just this horrid, completely disorienting experience. Is there some way to get another torch so I can at least find my way back there?this doesn't really seem doable

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Luckily, I found the torch. It is a massive oversight on the devs part if you miss it. It took 30 minutes of absolute nightmare blind, massively stressful gameplay to find it again but it can be done. That labyrinth is hard enough to navigate when you can actually see, but that is an absolutely massive "gently caress you" to the player for running past a stick, holy moly. They really need to patch some torches into the area where you respawn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I doubt it was patched, because it needs to be there anyways if you don't miss i the first time around. it's just such a bitch to find if you walk past it, that I wouldn't fault someone for just giving up and never touching the game again. I'd defienlty put in my top 5 shittiest things I've ever had to do in a game.

I'm also glad I don't have to start over though. All is forgiven, but I'm half tempted to email Ninja theory about that, because it's really ridiculous.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'm pretty sure the same thing that happened to me happened to him and he just didn't figure out where to go. The locked in a room thing doesn't even make any sense. Believe me I probably know this dumb labyrinth better than anyone now haha. I'll have to check out the review, but it sounds like he wasn't able to articulate what was happening.

On the bright side, if it happens to anyone else I know how to guide them straight there. It's really easy if you know where you need to go.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I'm pretty much at the end and I want to finish it first, but I can't wait to :words: about it. I still have really mixed feelings on the game, but they aren't middling. I 70% adore it and think it's one of the most interesting games I've ever played and 30% absolutely hate it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched his video, and Jim Sterling was actually stuck on the part after the one I was stuck on. However, I also got stuck on the same part he did but there was a torch there for me, about 10 feet behind, so either they patched it, or he's just blind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just wanted to say a few things about the game after finishing it. I know I was having mixed feelings about it early on, but I left feeling like it was such a one of a kind, awesome experience it's hard to fault it for much. I do think it starts a little bit too formulaic. The beginning is so predictable with it's puzzle door, puzzle door, puzzle door, puzzle door, arena fight structure that I was a bit down on it, even though I loved the presentation. I think it really hits it's stride after the first two trials though and I think if I went back and played the beginning again I'd like it more. It mostly keeps that structure, but after a point it clicked, or at least stopped bothering me.

The presentation of the game is insane. The visuals and the audio are some of the most memorable and impressive I've ever seen. Not just in a "nice graphics" kind of way, but I was just blown away by the artistic direction and how intense the audio was, especially with headphones. it had a really unique style I liked a lot. This might not make any sense to anyone else, but it reminded me of something that would have been made in the 70's or 80's, if they had modern technology at their disposal. it felt like some trippy film like Zardoz or Barbarella, except pitch black and spooky as all hell.

Some of the visual trickery was masterful. It didn't feel like a gimmick at all. The game makes you question what you are looking at in such a convincing way, that I think it's easy to be unsure if it was something the devs put in there or if you are imagining things. it's so drat effective. I think that was my favorite thing about the game.

I think it will be a cult hit, with some really die hard supporters. i hope it sells well because it has a lot more heart and creativity than most games. it's the first (almost) strictly narrative game that has really had an impact on me since Soma.

Also, if you like this game and haven't played Soma, play that. They aren't much alike, but I feel like if you like one you would like the other. Soma might look a bit ugly coming off of Hellblade though haha.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 12, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Can you help me out? I'm really hosed off with this game right now.

I'm in Helheim where I just got an 'R' rune and passed through a waterfall, which put my torch out. I ran forward to a pool of light, but it's autosaved and I can't get any further before the beast kills me (just before a balance beam). The walkthrough says to relight your torch, but I now don't have one.

Have died maybe 30-40 times here.

edit: Welp looks like I'm hosed. The game clearly thinks I'm holding a torch and is animating my character as if she is, but I can't light anything:

Was definitely in my top 5 of the year until now. gently caress.

Look behind you. There should be a torch sitting in the brazier about 20 feet back.

Mindblast posted:

As someone who played through this game on normal and never died in any combat sequence, here is what I noticed while playing:

- The parry window is massive and lets you get away with blocking even the biggest weapons. Hit block right before the attack lands.

Yeah. I was having trouble with it because I found R1 annoying to use for block and was trying to dodge everything, making the game 5 times harder. The parry system breaks the game. I started actually using it about 3/4 of the way through and it's basically impossible to die once you do.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 12, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it also doesn't hurt that they aren't real

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So do you guys think Senoa is actually up in the North, fighting dudes she perceives as demons, or is she just sitting in a chair in a hut somewhere tripping balls?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. And that's why there is probably no good objective answer to that. I'm just curious what your take on it is.

I kind of felt like she actually went to this place and fought the men who killed dillian and we saw a heavily altered version of what actually went on, but after finishing I dunno. I think she could just be in the local looney bin. I guess us not knowing for sure is kind of the point though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I don't think it would have been a bad deal at $60, but for the type of game it is I think $30 is a much easier pill to swallow. I'm glad it was released at that or I probably would have waited or rented.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm usually the guy arguing that a good game deserves a sequel, even if it doesn't need one (see:TLOU) but I think Hellblade only works as a one time thing.

That said, I'm super on board for any future Ninja theory passion projects.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 14, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope it does well, not only because it's a good game but because I think the half price model for this style of game is fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The developer diaries are fun to watch. In earlier versions of the game the combat had directional guards like For Honor and Senua could send doubles of herself to attack enemies. Also when they hired Melina Juergens to play Senua for realsies she had six weeks to get into shape for the role and ended up liking it so much that she took up MMA as a hobby.

Pretty interesting that she was a graphic designer on the project and was just acting a stand stand in before they decided they liked her enough to cast her. good performance too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think in anything else it would have felt like over acting, but it worked for Hellblade. I remember seeing previews and thinking "Jesus, take it down a notch" but once I actually played it I wouldn't have changed it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

i wish they included a chapter select after finishing it. I'm not in the mood to play the whole thing again yet but I wouldn't mind replaying a few parts just to dwell on them a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The interpretation I'm most comfortable with is that what "actually" happened is ultimately irrelevant, since everything Senua experienced was real to her, and the ambiguity is interesting in and of itself. Given the choice though I tend to favor a more mythological reading of events because a warrior woman yanking a godslaying sword out of a burning tree and battling to the gates of hell to save the soul of her dead lover is metal af.

While I don't disagree with you, it's logical to speculate what really happened. It's a question that won't get answered, but it doesn't need to be shut down either.

Unreleated, and not like anyone here cares what he thinks anyways, but Yahtzee hated the poo poo out of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-kP6ixtjvo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

These days he's pretty straight forward about games he likes even if he riffs on them as well. It's pretty clear he did not like Hellblade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why? It's fun to think about. It's something that I'm sure almost all of us thought about upon finishing the game. I know part of the creators intent was explicitly for us not to know, but it doesn't mean people aren't going to wonder, or that someone should be shut down for wanting to talk about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think that's the case. In the event that it was actually a viking stronghold that she was rampaging through it would be a pretty straight forward revenge story.

Once again, I'm not denying that "what's really going on" isn't the intent of the story or that you'll get the most out of it fixating on that. it's just with the way everything is framed it's natural to have some curiosity about it, and I don't think we need to say that people are missing the point when they bring it up, because they very well may not be, maybe they just want to chat about a game in it's thread.

I think it would have been more interesting if they hadn't driven the mental illness thing home so hard in marketing and even putting it in the opening credits. it would have been way more intriguing to have just thrown players into it and let them come to their own conclusions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I get all of that, and I've said it a bunch of times. I'm saying that if someone wants to talk about just let them talk about it. Every time someone mentions it, it's followed by a bunch of "irrelevant" posts that drowned out the people who actually want to talk about it. It's possible to wonder what was "really" going on and still understand the intent of the game and the importance of ambiguity.

Even if it is largely irrelevant and will never be explained, what's the big deal if people want to chat about it and speculate? It's not a particularly subtle game, I think everyone here gets what they were going for. It doesn't need to be explained to us.

Edit: just to be clear because it reads kind of like it is, I am not intending to be snarky or combative with that post.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 3, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Garmr fuel

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

In case you were hoping this game did well, Hellblade was the most downloaded PSN store game in August for Europe and second only to Madden in the US. It's currently hovering around 150k copies sold on Steam, and Ninja Theory themselves have said they'd need to sell somewhere between 300-400k total to break even. I really hope their example will lead to more games like this in the future. Short, narrative-driven games with high production values that aren't cheap pixel art pieces of crap are extremely my thing.

Let me tell you about this little game called Observer :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I'm going to regret asking this but why exactly are the dumpster people calling it "SJW"? Unless it's just that it has a woman in it who isn't a big boobed anime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The quality of the animation is so good I almost don't notice it. You just kind of forget it's computer animated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Apparently it just broke even, which the company was expecting to happen months from now. So, good I guess? I'm not sure how all of that works but they seem happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also worth noting, I don't think it's been on sale once so they aren't desperately trying to recoup costs or anything.

• Locked thread