Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Violence, at last! :neckbeard:

Chapter 7.1: The Dumb...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That was an amazing encounter.

.... Why did they ship it like that.

Edit: I shouldn't post before I finish watching the video. But I do have to comment on their amazing subtitling work here.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 30, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's really all I got.

edit: Oh yeah the complete disconnect between the subtitles and the voiced dialogue got wild in this episode. Several screens where there wasn't a word of similarity between the two.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Of all the things that are stupid in this game, for some reason the constant use of elevators in this burning building bothers me the most. That they're still working at all is wonder in itself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

marshmallow creep posted:

edit: Oh yeah the complete disconnect between the subtitles and the voiced dialogue got wild in this episode. Several screens where there wasn't a word of similarity between the two.

Literally none of Yuu's lines when she decided to risk her own life for who knows what were even remotely correct, which is amazing, because Scott's were, and the dialogue works with either the voiced or written lines, meaning that they had two scripts and decided to use both for some reason.

The same happened with the Fireman soon afterwards.

I don't get how this happened, but it happened.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My understanding is usually this happens when they need to record VO while still updating or revising the script, so an early version goes to the actors and a final version to be copied into the subtitles. Though I suppose the other way around could work, and putting in the subtitles uses an earlier script.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I had to rewatch it before I noticed but actually her voiced/subtitled lines are one line out of sync, the line about her having to get something from her room isn't voiced and everything else gets moved up one. Since there's now an 'extra' voiced line I think either one of her lines is supposed to go after Scott says 'Are you crazy?', or maybe the 'Thank you' is from a completely different scene. The fireman's voiced line might also be from a completely different scene since the subtitled one makes more sense in context.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In the intro video, the equal signs aren't actually equal signs, but double hyphens. Sometimes they're used for separating sounds in Western names, or separating a person's first and last name.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%8...%82%A3%E3%83%B3

For instance, the japanese Wikipedia page for Ursula Le Guin puts it as Ursula Le = Guin.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

In the intro video, the equal signs aren't actually equal signs, but double hyphens. Sometimes they're used for separating sounds in Western names, or separating a person's first and last name.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%8...%82%A3%E3%83%B3

For instance, the japanese Wikipedia page for Ursula Le Guin puts it as Ursula Le = Guin.

Looks more like Ashura・K・Ru=Guwin to me, but I'm probably being overly literal in my transliterations here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yuu running off and forcing you to chase after Yuu just after you save someone who almost killed Yuu in a game where you basically did everything else just to save Yuu must have been pretty frustrating for you. Oh, Yuu.

That was terrible but I wasn't going to go this whole thread without trying to do that one time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Chapter 7.2 ...and the Dumber.

And coming out of a closet is...

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
As bad as the game is, at least it gave you time to talk about the Saudi airline disaster. Never heard about it before, quite interesting (also made me nostalgic for your amazing Strike Fighters 2 LP). Also, it gave you a reason to explain that a piano wouldn't function well in a fire, which is not something anyone has probably thought about before this game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm really curious as to what'll happen if you go and get Scott killed during one of the periods where you are controlling Douglas in Scott's campaign. Maybe you can accomplish the poetic justice of Scott being the only one to die due to his deathtrap design!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > We're perfectly fine with a raging inferno (Fire Heroes)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, uh... I've given Max's prologue a test run

gently caress romance drama, it's Lethal Weapon and every other buddy cop movie.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The cop side of the story being completely disconnected from the family, stalker, lover drama could only improve it.

Maybe.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I love everything about this ridiculous burning building game. Jesus.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Chapters 8 & 9: Never again...

Now we know where Kojima stole the final hallway crawl of MGS4 from. At least, he removed the tentacle.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Scott posted:

I'm going to design a building that will be invulnerable to any kind of disaster.

And I'll call it...THE TITANIC!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"I'm going to design a building immune to disaster" sounds like a great start to a horror movie.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I mean I figured you were actually supposed to engage with the fires and not just walk through them/drag other people through them, but yeah, that'd be a whole lot of extinguishing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Max's VA definitely is the best of the three so I can imagine that the voice quality will be slightly higher in his run. Not a lot higher, because the voice acting in this game is awful, but a bit higher. At least he can emote, though I guess it's also helped by Max having the best dialogue of the three.

Kibayasu posted:

"I'm going to design a building immune to disaster" sounds like a great start to a horror movie.

Considering designing the best building ever led to THIS...probably.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
We've reached an ending. Woo hoo! I've been thoroughly enjoying this game and seeing how it seems to vacillate between clunky gameplay designs and holy poo poo this writing is spectacular. Meanwhile watching the video, I drew some doodles.

I'm not sure what Max is saying, but Scott doesn't seem to like it.

In memoriam to whatever the hell Paul was doing.

And lastly, Douglas says what's on everyone's mind.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 14, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

We've reached an ending. Woo hoo! I've been thoroughly enjoying this game and seeing how it seems to vacillate between clunky gameplay designs and holy poo poo this writing is spectacular. Meanwhile watching the video, I drew some doodles.

I'm not sure what Max is saying, but Scott doesn't seem to like it.

In memoriam to whatever the hell Paul was doing.

And lastly, Douglas says what's on everyone's mind.
Awww-mazing!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I love how much of a mess the story is, for being the person who is the primary reason Scott is running around the building like this, Yuu disappearing completely from the finale is just wonderful.

There are also touches I genuinelly like, what with the stat carry-over between runs. Granted, the execution is kind of hosed considering that base level door kicking does not seem to change at all, and the 3 protags just having different power for kicking down the doors at base level means that stat is completely pointless. Plus I didn't really notice whether Scott actually runs any faster from the beginning to now. So with 1 (maybe 2) stats being completely pointless that falls flat. Though it also falls flat since it assumes that the game actually has replayability for that to make a difference....

Oh well. Looking forward to at least seeing the most disconnected side of the story.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Max's voiceless laugh animation is something.

Nyeh-heh-heh!

And yet, a tie clip.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:

Max's Prologue: I charge for men.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, the game sure looks better with a character that has an actual personality and a competent VA. Max's interactions with Morgan are good and I'll be sad to see him die.

Not Kate though, kill her ASAP. Maybe she'll shout about how she's losing a scoop because she's dying.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Wow 40 seconds in and I already have something to comment on. Good choice on the angle where you don't really see the wheels. Points off for the car blatantly clipping through that pillar on its left.

The beginning conversation is actually sort of fun though. I'd guess different writers because this actually feels like people with a pre-existing close relationship, not just.... whatever Scott and Yuu are up to.
Those ginormous loading pauses in the party hall almost makes it seem like they're just splicing in parts from Scott's prologue, and that it takes forever to load up Max's specific differences.

You're immensely enjoying Max's mighty foot. gently caress all the doors! Though I'm just going UGH at the fact that the levels are all the same. It sort of makes sense in the limited resources sense, it already looks like they had to cut way more than they wanted. It's just kind of lame is all.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
gently caress this game for making the grizzled veteran thirty-eight years old.

"He only had twenty-seven years to retirement" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A floor an a half drop in an elevator is perhaps the least threatening thing that has happened yet, though apparently Scott designed his elevators with fuel tanks or something on the bottom.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

Scott designed his elevators with fuel tanks or something on the bottom.

[scottsays]It provides extra propulsion in case of emergency failures. Only the grandest of measures from one aspiring to be a top architect...[/scottsays]

This game feels totally different in this path, holy poo poo. The thing about choosing just the right camera angles to hide the fact that the car's wheels weren't moving shows a high level of artistic genius being used to cover up an incredible amount of frugality. I'm impressed. :golfclap:

I wonder if Douglas' route is interesting, because Douglas seems kinda plain so far? It seems that his personality is very by-the-book so maybe that's why he doesn't seem as outwardly engaging (imo) in comparison to Scott and Max. The voice actor only reinforces that sort of impression, although I will give credit where it's due on the yells because those sound startlingly realistic. There does seem to be some sort of story going on between the various firefighters, and the fact his wife is also trapped in the building too does lend some interest, so maybe his route has some of the fun writing decisions we've been seeing so far too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Max's Episode 1 & 2: DIE DIE DIE

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I kind of respect the game for acknowledging people dying in the objectives and the dialogue. Explains to me why Scott/Max have the same campaign since they're mostly secondary to the part of actually fighting fires. Though given that a decent amount of the campaign is 'go get Douglas's help' I'm wondering if his campaign is the most different to everyone else's. Kind of disappointed that Max's campaign is basically Scott's campaign though but it makes sense. It also means that actually trying to get the endings would be torture with how utterly repetitive it'd get.

Edit: I figure when Rose died, the point was still to get someone's help to get Gou out. Rose is just extra on that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I...can't say this feels nice to watch. Most of the time it's fine, and I've genuinely laughed at some of your comments, SelenicMartian, but throwing helpless people (like Rose, because they're hurt, not because the AI is incompetent) just feels..wrong. I can't imagine playing this by myself and enjoying the carnage, not like this.

Also you should just time out Douglas' campaign immediately, see if that gives you an ending or just a game over.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That is a point BlazeDragon, and you probably won't like the next chapter with the children. I, however, am really looking forward to the Greed chapter cause christ both those characters are aggressively terrible.

Also I'm going to keep a tally of the number of times the murder policy cut out an excessive backtracking journey cause it interests me.

- Mr. Clayton being dead means Sean doesn't get trapped by a collapsing ceiling and you don't need to go get Douglas

- Both nameless NPCs cut short their journey since they were padding

So 3 times in 2 chapters. Nice

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boy, "Victim List" is taking on a very different meaning this time around.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I had forgotten how much Sean sounds like he's really just been an overgrown 8 year old in a firesuit this entire time.

Also,

Kibayasu posted:

Boy, "Victim List" is taking on a very different meaning this time around.

Once Max tasted blood, he could never go back.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This sounds off out of context.

Max's Episode 3, 4 & ?: drat! I was too slow!

There's a bit of a desync because, much like some of Max's victims, the video had to be stitched together to be presentable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And nothing of importance was lost. Unlike last video, pretty much everyone here deserved to die. Poor cat though.

Also I retract what I said about Max having a good VA. He has a good VA compared to the standard of this game (awful), but he can't raise his voice to save his life. Those shouts were terrible.

• Locked thread