Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am currently wondering whether there are any good movies about babies. There are certainly moves about babies, and movies starring babies, but frankly they're not good movies. I'm not including Rosemary's Baby, or any other movies that are about how sex is scary and babies are weird. I am talking about movies where the main point is not fear, but something else about a baby that is not terrifying, or was not intended to be terrifying. I will show you the problem with baby movies, based on movies I have seen "starring" babies.

Baby's Day Out

I saw this movie when I was like 5 or something and enjoyed it, but I revisited this film after watching the Red Letter Media review, and it is a movie that is incredibly bad. It is unwatchable. Everything about it is not funny and is instead tedious and awful. The only funny part is some nutshot humor that is only funny because it goes on waaaay too long and comes around to being funny again because it is prolonged genital torture.

Similarly,

Look Who's Talking is an extremely bad film that is not funny. I only hazily remember this and it bothers me that I have been exposed to this film. John Travola was in it. They made a sequel that John Travolta was still in where the dogs also talk, but this isn't a thread about dog movies.

(Note: whoops, that's the third Look Who's Talking film. This is the second one:

)

Along that line, there was also Baby Geniuses

I love Christopher Lloyd but he will be in any poo poo.

... and Baby Geniuses 2.

The only funny thing in Baby Geniuses 2 is on the malaysian bootleg dvd

Storks was predictable, slapdash, and bad:

There are a couple funny things in it, like the wolf pack, but not enough to make it funny or a "good movie".

And I think that we can all safely not be able to forget

which did sort of redeem itself by being a great background gag in Bojack Horseman.

(The joke being, for those who don't watch Bojack Horseman, that in this absurdist crazy people-animal world, that the movie Junior was produced completely unchanged.)

I saw Boss Baby. I don't really feel good about this decision. It is not nearly as bad as I was expecting, and I appreciated its absurdity and how hard the artists tried to do something fun while they were on this project. However, it is Boss Baby and I do not think that I, in good conscience, can refer to this as a film which is good. The funniest sequence is almost entirely ripped off from the long-forgotten Dreamworks film, Puss in Boots (2011). I guess they can rip off their own movie no one saw.

Can a baby be a movie? I mean a funny movie premise? Or good or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rugrats is basically the high point for baby-centric film and television media, and early Rugrats is pretty loving good even if by the time the actual movie came out it was kinda 'eh'.

It really should be limited to animated stuff because live action babies are a pain in the rear end to film for any extended amount of time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, they have robot babies now so you don't need real ones.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

oh god that's so loving creepy

I wish we could just go back to the days where fake babies were hilariously obvious. you know, 2014.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
actually op the subtitle is "The Winged Serpent"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

God, that movie was poo poo from front to back, wasn't it?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

Is that real.
It's not.
Surely.
Please.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Jesus Christ she's everywhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Is that real.
It's not.
Surely.
Please.

Ultimately, it wasn't used, but this was shown on dvd extras.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pick posted:

lol what in the gently caress is that thing

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That baby got hair for days. What movie is that from?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One of the later Twilight sequels.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Pick posted:

Dressing up a King Charles Spaniel as a baby. A bold move by the costuming department.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Pick posted:

Please make a fake animatronic baby from memory.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That baby got hair for days. What movie is that from?

It's the weird baby from one of the Twilight movies that ages super quick so one of the other characters can gently caress it ASAP.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

how is vampire babby formed?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Christmas On Mars, op

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Children of Men sorta

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If the condition is solely a non-horror movie where the plot revolves around a baby, how about Raising Arizona? Baby's 100% integral to the plot and he's even included in the climactic fight scene.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bringing up baby
Baby driver

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I heard this was good

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Raising Arizona?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pick posted:

I heard this was good

It's alright, it's actually one of the worst Edgar Wright movies but it's still an Edgar Wright movie so it's still good.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Does Three Men And A Baby count?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Non-horror? To hell with this thread.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Shoot 'Em Up

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Hard Boiled isn't baby-centric as a whole but it has a great shootout in a hospital at the end that heavily features babies. It would probably be less cool without the babies.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

2001: A Space Odyssey

Baby Boom with Diane Keaton was not particularly good, but it was not terrible either.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pick posted:

I heard this was good

It's a lot of fun, would recommend.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Raising Arizona doesn't star a baby, but gently caress it, that baby helps.

Monsters Inc if you count Boo as a star or a baby, she's more of a toddler.

The Rugrats has a trippy Nintendo 64 depiction of the birth canal that has stuck with me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Shoot 'Em Up

Oh that's a good one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hat Thoughts posted:

actually op the subtitle is "The Winged Serpent"

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Tsotsi is pretty decent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a Jackie Chan movie where he has to protect a baby so lots of the fight scenes have him finding hilarious ways to keep the baby safe while he destroys mooks

Can't remember the drat name of it tho

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kangra posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey

I came to this thread to make the Bringing Up Baby joke, but this is much funnier and more accurate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Also, Labyrinth

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
F8 of the Furious

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

A Serbian Film.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Children of Men managed to be alright, possibly by balancing its being about a baby by also being about an absence of babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raising Arizona you idiot

• Locked thread