Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is actually very important that, when the ship is suddenly attacked, no one takes any action until the captain orders the shields raised. Also when an anomaly appears nearby you should never put it on the screen until the captain tells you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can you imagine how annoying it would be to have your video interrupted at the best part just because some ensign just had to show some dang space error?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

withak posted:

It is actually very important that, when the ship is suddenly attacked, no one takes any action until the captain orders the shields raised. Also when an anomaly appears nearby you should never put it on the screen until the captain tells you to.

And when you do, you should put on the screen really tiny

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw posts and was worried they said it was canceled, glad it was just someone new discovering the show!

Also hard/realistic space battle stuff always sounds so boring, the only people who find it interesting are people who think algebra is exciting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Alan Dean Foster sidestepped it pretty well in "The Damned" trilogy.

"Actual spacecraft are insane FTL machines that fire weapons beyond our comprehension. Those fights last seconds and basically only happen while a ship is dumping hordes of ground troops before loving back off to lightspeed. The real fighting is on the ground."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the part in one of the Culture books where someone is watching anxiously as a Ship narrates its maneuvers as it fights a space battle, then the ship is like “oh this was all over in less than a second, I just thought you might be interested in seeing the slo-mo playback.”

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

twistedmentat posted:

I saw posts and was worried they said it was canceled, glad it was just someone new discovering the show!

Also hard/realistic space battle stuff always sounds so boring, the only people who find it interesting are people who think algebra is exciting.

The Expanse handled it really well, and some of those space battles looked amazing.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
These are the voyages of the men's room in the Logan airport.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

swickles posted:

The Expanse handled it really well, and some of those space battles looked amazing.

Yeah, especially at the start of the show when a ship blows up, and because it's space and nothing slows down effectively just becomes a cloud of high speed bullets.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I like the concept of Farcasters from the Hyperion books better, since they make more sense. Mini wormholes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I like the concept of Farcasters from the Hyperion books better, since they make more sense. Mini wormholes.

The Catholic version of interstellar travel was the most metal one in Hyperion, tbh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CPColin posted:

And when you do, you should put on the screen really tiny

Picard: [irritably] Magnify.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

Yea, we see Barclay has consciousness through the teleport, categorically it doesn't work that way

The new Barclay clone has all the memories of the old, dead Barclay, how would you even tell the difference? You'd have the old short term memories blend right in for the new consciousnesses.

The truly disturbing thing about this is they all know this and are okay with it.

McCoy was right.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The new Barclay clone has all the memories of the old, dead Barclay, how would you even tell the difference? You'd have the old short term memories blend right in for the new consciousnesses.

The truly disturbing thing about this is they all know this and are okay with it.

McCoy was right.

You see out of his eyes for the entire time
He grabs something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McCoy was right.

souls are real in star trek and they follow the transporter beam

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

souls are real in star trek and they follow the transporter beam

All transporter equipment has to be blessed by the Space Pope before it can ever be used, this is canon

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Taear posted:

You see out of his eyes for the entire time
He grabs something

And it's directly contravened by other Star Trek shows, including other episodes of TNG, that point out that you can store people in a transporter buffer and they experience nothing. Scotty, in Relics, spends 70 years in a transporter loop and comes out having not experienced that time consciously. Can you imagine if he had? 70 years in a formless black void? He'd be stark raving mad.

It's Star Trek. They simply handwave away things like 'fundamental physics' by saying 'oh, Heisenberg Compensator.' The writers make poo poo up for the requirements of the episode they're writing, then forget about it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Sir, I'm experiencing integrity loss on the ka."
"Can you increase the resolution on the ba to compensate?"
"I can try, but I'll need more offerings."
"Perhaps a shabti macro would suffice."
"Yes... Yes, it could trick the system into thinking the requisite offerings were being made. It might work."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Machine Spirits are often wack. Wiggidy wack, not just the normal kind.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

"Sir, I'm experiencing integrity loss on the ka."
"Can you increase the resolution on the ba to compensate?"
"I can try, but I'll need more offerings."
"Perhaps a shabti macro would suffice."
"Yes... Yes, it could trick the system into thinking the requisite offerings were being made. It might work."

Don't forget to turn on the inertial heart density modulator. Set to 'lighter than a feather.'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh, I thought it did that autoMaatically

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

And it's directly contravened by other Star Trek shows, including other episodes of TNG, that point out that you can store people in a transporter buffer and they experience nothing. Scotty, in Relics, spends 70 years in a transporter loop and comes out having not experienced that time consciously. Can you imagine if he had? 70 years in a formless black void? He'd be stark raving mad.

It's Star Trek. They simply handwave away things like 'fundamental physics' by saying 'oh, Heisenberg Compensator.' The writers make poo poo up for the requirements of the episode they're writing, then forget about it.
I'm a little lost.

"It's made-up sci-fi bullshit" is your argument against "it's made-up sci-fi bullshit?"

I don't see how the inconsistencies of how they write transporters proves that transporters definitely kill you; a thing they have never said.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why would you think existing as energy pattern in a transporter buffer would be all akin to existing consciously in a formless black void? And even if so why should they experience time in any way similar to how an organic body does over time? You don't even experience time the same depending on your size or relative speed outside of a sci-fi buffer. Even getting to have thoughts seems like it would require some type of simulation to mimic the biological processes thoughts are.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I'm a little lost.

"It's made-up sci-fi bullshit" is your argument against "it's made-up sci-fi bullshit?"

I don't see how the inconsistencies of how they write transporters proves that transporters definitely kill you; a thing they have never said.

No, my point is that 'the writers' have no idea how it works, and it's never been written consistently. When they need you to have continuity of consciousness for plot reasons, you do. When they need you to not, you don't. It's a thing that was invented for television production purposes; too expensive to be filming landing sequences. People are applying modern understandings of physics to a concept that is more akin to magic.

So yes, per our understanding of modern and quantum physics, if you *could* get a transporter to work on a whole human body (and there are excellent takes on why you couldn't, like Kaku's Physics of the Impossible or Krause's The Physics of Star Trek) you'd be creating a copy.

But the concept of 'modern physics' has nothing to do with what the device is, in Star Trek. In Star Trek, it's capricious magic, and it's worked different ways in different episodes.

Hell, that episode of TNG, 'Relics,' storing somebody in the pattern buffer was a jury-rigged hail-mary that shouldn't have worked, yet in Strange New Worlds, it's a standard technique that M'Benga had been using for years.

Khanstant posted:

Why would you think existing as energy pattern in a transporter buffer would be all akin to existing consciously in a formless black void? And even if so why should they experience time in any way similar to how an organic body does over time? You don't even experience time the same depending on your size or relative speed outside of a sci-fi buffer. Even getting to have thoughts seems like it would require some type of simulation to mimic the biological processes thoughts are.

Part of being transported involves being put into the buffer during the process. If you have continuity of consciousness going through the buffer, why wouldn't you have consciousness in the buffer?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can't have continuity of consciousness while your biological body is dematerialized. Your consciousness is your body.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Khanstant posted:

You can't have continuity of consciousness while your biological body is dematerialized. Your consciousness is your body.

Well I want to be a consciousness without a body!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Too bad! Get back to your cells.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Hell, that episode of TNG, 'Relics,' storing somebody in the pattern buffer was a jury-rigged hail-mary that shouldn't have worked, yet in Strange New Worlds, it's a standard technique that M'Benga had been using for years.

Maybe M'Benga is how Scotty first encounters it, and it seems like it is pretty risky and unsafe unless you have someone there to keep monitoring the state of the transporter.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

M'Benga seems to get a demotion between SNW and TOS, maybe it's because of his reckless buffer fuckery.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

M'Benga seems to get a demotion between SNW and TOS, maybe it's because of his reckless buffer fuckery.

Or space Child Protective Services take a dim view of his letting his child run off with an energy being ways.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He also killed a Klingon that was a major propaganda get for the federation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He also killed a Klingon that was a major propaganda get for the federation.

It'll probably end up being related to this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

swickles posted:

Yea they had CQC happening following long range railgun/missile fights, the kind that math nerds get boners over are all "throw a rock at someone you can't see! Look at this formula!". Also where'd you get that rock? someone had to go out and find it, then you need to be able to figure out its trajectory and then spin it up fast enough to fling it at your opponent and hope they don't spot it before it smashes into your planet. Marcos plan only worked because he was able to get stealth tech from the martians to cover up the rocks and then murdered all the UN ships that were out there looking for asteriods

The Machine Spirits are often wack. Wiggidy wack, not just the normal kind.

You need to anoint the sacred oil exactly how they like it. Otherwise you chafe.

Though yea with sci fi and your magic tech you need to keep things consistent. If you have an FTL drive, you need to make sure it always works the same way, that it can't work by bending space/time in one instance, while another it actually moves you at speeds faster than light. Yea keep that straight. or better yet, don't explain it because then you can do whatever you want with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ah. Then we're in agreement. Thank you for explaining.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

https://tvline.com/news/the-orville-season-4-renewal-update-adrianne-palicki-hints-cancellation-1235090555/

Well that doesn't sound great, but also kind of odd..

She says:

quote:

“I think there’s talk that it could possibly be something that certain people want to do…,” she continued, choosing words carefully, “but it’s a really difficult show to shoot, man.”

To that point, Palicki explained how The Orville shot 33 episodes over the course of six years, which doesn’t exactly provide a steady income stream for an actor, at an average of just 5-1/2 episodes a year.

“It became an actual, real issue,” she said, “because there would be so much time in between seasons because Seth wanted to write everything himself…. At one point, we were like, ‘We have to fight the studio to give us a holding fee or something,” with cast member J. Lee reportedly getting by on “saltines and Gatorade” at one point. “It was horrible,” she says.

But to my memory the first two seasons had a totally normal network turnaround time, then the Hulu shakeup delayed everything and then COVID caused even more havoc?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

holefoods posted:

https://tvline.com/news/the-orville-season-4-renewal-update-adrianne-palicki-hints-cancellation-1235090555/

Well that doesn't sound great, but also kind of odd..

She says:

But to my memory the first two seasons had a totally normal network turnaround time, then the Hulu shakeup delayed everything and then COVID caused even more havoc?

Yea series 1/2 had a year between them (1 ended in march 18 and 2 started in jan 19)
It's only 3 that had a massive gap

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Even so, they're right; they can't be declining other work on the hope that maybe THIS year they'll be back to shooting.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
https://www.thewrap.com/seth-macfarlane-the-orville-canceled-season/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well he already brought it back once after a 4 year hiatus, and he also brought Family Guy back after a four year hiatus. I guess it's kind've his thing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
See you in a few more years then.