Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kubbles posted:

Mosin-Nagant

The Russians' answer to the Kar98k. Powerful and deadly bolt-action rifle. There were often debates over whether the Mosin or the Kar was better. (Hint: It's the Mosin)
BOY WERE THERE EVER. :haw: I remember I'd get people to stop and type by starting this argument in pub games, which made them easy targets.

I used to clan up in CoD1 too, haha! Thanks for the shout-out in the OP, I'll be following this closely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the mp40 is much more accurate than the tommy but the issue is that there's no space whatsoever for an accurate smg in CoD1. either you're close enough that accuracy functionally doesn't matter or you're far enough away that the time it takes you to shoulder and fire the weapon is all the time an actual rifle user requires to blow your loving head off. there aren't any real mid-range engagements where the distinction is helpful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the Americans kinda get hosed because the Garand doesn't have the kill power of the bolt action rifles. a hit from one of the bolt-actions in the body does like 95% damage, but a similar hit from the garand will do 50% if you're lucky - more likely 40%. latency, recoil semantics, and other network weirdness being what it is, you will always, always, always go for the weapon with least shots to kill at range like that. so the Americans are sitting here trying to line up three shots while their German counterparts are being all 1sh0t1k1llsnyp@r and it's just not a good time for them at range. again, the way the MP of this game set up, long range multi-shot weapons just do not have a reason to exist.

for this reason, most American games revolve around using a minority of dudes with Springfields to provide some token resistance and keep heads down while the bulk of the team rolls up with tommy guns, which actually are good.

• Locked thread