Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Games are kind of interesting cause the sequels normally are an improvement. So I was just thinking what are games I've played in which I liked the previous game more than its sequel? Doesn't have to be the first game could be something like Final Fantasy 6 over 7.

For me it's Portal and Portal 2. While I think Portal 2 is a great game and really enjoyed the story, design wise I think Portal 1's pacing and puzzles are a lot better than 2's. Portal 2's later puzzles got to a point where I just did what I thought the developer wanted me to do without actually feeling like I was solving them. While Portal 1's puzzles had multiple solutions, and if you understood the portal gun you could skip major parts of the levels. Portal 2's rattmann rooms also felt kind of felt forced, while in 1 the rooms felt cryptic and mystical. But I loved the ending for 2, and thought the turret opera elevator scene was pretty great, but the song end credits felt a little off.

Nude fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time but I couldn't even finish the sequel. The devs clearly had no idea what made the original great and made a complete mess with only superficial resemblance to HM.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Dead to rights.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I'm a dumb idiot who can't read or comprehend. Okay bye.

Bill Barber fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 14, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
too many to count ... theres a common case of a franchise becoming popular and then the developers being financially obligated to keep making games for it. but its sometimes as simple as just a change of staff between games, dark souls 2 is the famous example of that

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Modern Warfare

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Morrowind and Oblivion, if that counts.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

FFXIII was better than FFXIII-2

I don't know about LR but i hear it's great.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Bill Barber posted:

Not really fair to use arcade/racing style games since those always seem to improve with the first few sequels, but Burnout 2 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 stand out because they're probably some of the greatest video games of all time and also sequels.

how do you misunderstand a concept this simple

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

ol yeller posted:

how do you misunderstand a concept this simple
:shobon:

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Gothic

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
During the time after ff10 for the ps2, I viewed the following sequels as gross fan-service.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I kinda thought Mario Galaxy 1 was more fun than 2.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Yobgoblin posted:

During the time after ff10 for the ps2, I viewed the following sequels as gross fan-service.

i like x-2 so much more than x. x is in my bottom 3 final fantasies and x-2 is probably 2nd best

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time but I couldn't even finish the sequel. The devs clearly had no idea what made the original great and made a complete mess with only superficial resemblance to HM.

Yeah I can't believe it's made by the same people . Shame the gameplay is so hosed because there are some really cool setpieces and the music is cool as ever

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anyway for me, digital devil saga. 2 seemed completely different, i think i read somewhere that the main producer or scenario writer someone of similar status died after finishing dds1, not sure if its true though.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Jak and Daxter, OP.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

I.N.R.I posted:

i like x-2 so much more than x. x is in my bottom 3 final fantasies and x-2 is probably 2nd best

*adds x-2 to wishlist*

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mario arcade game :troll:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Banjo-Kazooie, though I liked some of what they tried to do with Tooie it didn't really work out.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

HM2 was a huge disappointment after how perfect 1 was

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Rome: Total War. They made huge improvements to the second game (it took like 2 years, though) but it still isn't a classic that I go back to frequently, like the first one.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Rome: Total War. They made huge improvements to the second game (it took like 2 years, though) but it still isn't a classic that I go back to frequently, like the first one.

i bought that release day and still havent really touched any other total war games since

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

half life

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

jedi knight outcast is such an immensely better game than jedi academy

JKA was basically the same game with a few additions and tweaks, i was excited as a teen cause how bad could they gently caress up more of the same? but the level design was loving terrible

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FFXIII is much superior to XIII-2

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

quake single player

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Natural Selection

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Oh yeah- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is an amazing game but S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is pure HIV/AIDS.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pokemon Red is really excellent, but its immediate sequel Pokemon Blue is quite, quite dogshit

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rreal answer, bushido blade pwns but somethin about bushido blade 2 didn't sit right with me. its still good, just missin something imo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Natural Selection

this one is true but also tricky since the first one had so many revisions already

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Devil May Cry

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Oh yeah- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is an amazing game but S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is pure HIV/AIDS.

Clear Sky is kinda cool. I like the idea of the gang warfare and picking a side and all that but 90% of the missions are clearly randomly generated junk until you get to the finale. I've heard there's a good mod for CS that fleshed out the gang stuff, maybe I'll check that out some day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't even know if this should really count but 007: Nightfire was a perfect bond game and all the entries from the 360/PS3/Wii seemed lame

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chrono Trigger is better than Chrono Cross. Something more controversial, but I think Persona 4 is better than 5, and that SMTIV is better than SMTIV: Apocalypse.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I think I'm gonna catch flak for this, but Sly Cooper

All the Sly games after the first had a terminal case of open world-itis

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I think I'm gonna catch flak for this, but Sly Cooper

All the Sly games after the first had a terminal case of open world-itis

its very true

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
jet set radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Kongming posted:

Chrono Trigger is better than Chrono Cross. Something more controversial, but I think Persona 4 is better than 5, and that SMTIV is better than SMTIV: Apocalypse.

i agree with all of that. smt iv was a masterpiece .. my favourite of all the smt games

• Locked thread