Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

theres still never been a better Street Fighter than II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I think I'm gonna catch flak for this, but Sly Cooper

All the Sly games after the first had a terminal case of open world-itis

I played through the first 3 a couple years ago and yeah, I definitely agree

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Ultima 4 and 5 were the best, 6 was okay, 7 would have been the best if it had been the old engine because the plot was brilliant but the semi-realtime engine was just loving awful, 8 was a different genre entirely, and 9 bluuuuugh.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I think I'm gonna catch flak for this, but Sly Cooper

All the Sly games after the first had a terminal case of open world-itis

I missed Sly the first time and got to replay it for the HD remake and my god it holds up really well. Out of the three big platformers Ratchet and Clank 1, Jak and Daxter 1, I think Sly 1 is the strongest in tight controls and polish.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time but I couldn't even finish the sequel. The devs clearly had no idea what made the original great and made a complete mess with only superficial resemblance to HM.

Yeah this is a good example, I could not get into the second at all but played through the first multiple times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah Jak and Daxter was fun and Jak II's weird hub GTA crap really annoyed me and I never finished it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I 100%d Jak and Daxter 1 over a few days and I think I managed to get 3-4 hours in 2 before abandoning it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Mario Zelda Sonic.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

theres still never been a better Street Fighter than II

i prefer 3rd strike but i can understand this opinion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parasite Eve. The 2nd one was fine but it was way closer to just being an RE1 clone than the weird hybrid JRPG systems that was in 1 and made it way cooler to experiment with all the weapons and spells and customization tools

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Street Fighter The Movie

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Smash Bros Melee was better than Brawl

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Doom

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Parasite Eve. The 2nd one was fine but it was way closer to just being an RE1 clone than the weird hybrid JRPG systems that was in 1 and made it way cooler to experiment with all the weapons and spells and customization tools

did you ever play the PSP one? insert The Yikes Guy here.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

oh poo poo speaking of PSP Patapon 3 was a tragedy . #2 got a little grinder than the first game but also made a lot of improvements, 3 just ruined everything with a focus on co-op and getting rid of most of the unit management to just focus on a player hero unit .

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

Games that give you mental illness

100% complete and everything is upgraded, 53 times completed insanly,deadly,hardly,normaly,easily

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

Games that give you mental illness

100% complete and everything is upgraded, 53 times completed insanly,deadly,hardly,normaly,easily

:worship: you wild lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I liked it more than 2 lol.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

NES/Game Boy Tetris is the best purest form of that game even though TGM owns

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I still like the first medieval total war more than everything that came after it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

P-Mack posted:

I still like the first medieval total war more than everything that came after it.
That reminds me, Warcraft 2 > Warcraft 3, Starcraft, etc.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Neverwinter Nights.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kongming posted:

Chrono Trigger is better than Chrono Cross. Something more controversial, but I think Persona 4 is better than 5, and that SMTIV is better than SMTIV: Apocalypse.

I don't know why you'd catch flak for that all those opinions are perfectly salient and defendable

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

roomforthetuna posted:

That reminds me, Warcraft 2 > Warcraft 3, Starcraft, etc.

Now that SC:BW remaster is out, maybe WC2 next .. ? :pray:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Devil May Cry is another good example. 1 was good and 2 was bad. 3 is amazing though so I don't know how to calculate that

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DMC2 isn't a real DMC game

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
posting Alpha Protocol in the hopes that one day it will fit for this thread

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

klapman posted:

Speak it into existence

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

klapman posted:

Beyond Good and Evil, along the same lines, with pretty high confidence that if it gets made, it will be much worse than the original.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I liked demon's souls more than dark souls

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

deus ex

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
burnout 3 was distilled arcade racing awesomeness with fantastic local multiplayer
burnout paradise was a piece of garbage for friendless stay at home NEETs with online only

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

burnout 3 was distilled arcade racing awesomeness with fantastic local multiplayer
burnout paradise was a piece of garbage for friendless stay at home NEETs with online only

this also applies to every game that dumped local multi in favor of online only. gently caress off with that poo poo :mad:

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
FF1 was more fun than FF2

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

elf help book posted:

jet set radio

jsrf had awesome mechanics and fluid movement but ruined it by making you retread old ground and do these insanely long trial and error grinding sequences.

still a good game but really didn't need to be a long as it was.

i think pikmin 1 was far better than it's sequels. less focus on combat and less micromanagement than the sequels that seem to be way more well received.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Burnout 3 is the best racing game of all time.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I also liked Dishonored 1 way more than 2. The story was more interesting

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

goferchan posted:

oh poo poo speaking of PSP Patapon 3 was a tragedy . #2 got a little grinder than the first game but also made a lot of improvements, 3 just ruined everything with a focus on co-op and getting rid of most of the unit management to just focus on a player hero unit .

Since we are talking about the psp EchoChrome is such a imaginative concept for a game. To sum it up for people who don't want to watch the video, basically it's a puzzle game where depending on which angle you view the level it changes what you can do. So for example if there is a visible gap between two platforms, you can move the camera in a way to make it so the two platforms visually look like they can connect, and then your character can walk over it. It had a sequel of sorts, EchoShift, but the new puzzle mechanics didn't quite match up to EchoChrome. Although I'm not sure what you could with EchoChrome to make it any better, so I understand why they went in the direction they did. The PSP really had a wide library of really creative games, Locoroco, Patapon, Patchwork Heroes, Lumines, 30-Minute Hero to name a few.

Oh one last thing Symphony of the Night, while the other Metroidvania's improved in the rpg aspects, activating spells through Street-Fighter button combos is just so cool. And the fact that you have one of Dracula's move right at the beginning of the game is :perfect:.

Nude fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 20, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time but I couldn't even finish the sequel. The devs clearly had no idea what made the original great and made a complete mess with only superficial resemblance to HM.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Rome: Total War. They made huge improvements to the second game (it took like 2 years, though) but it still isn't a classic that I go back to frequently, like the first one.

These are absolutely the ones I was going to say. R:TW was better than all the entries in the series after it, and HLM2 just somehow lacked everything that made HLM1 great. (Aside from the music, I guess)
Kinda sad in a way, thinking about all the series that fell from greatness - such as the ones mentioned in this thread. At least we've still got the excellent originals, in any case!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forget but someone had to have said Deus Ex already right? The original is untouchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I know it's not quite what the OP is about, but I felt kinda like this about the jump from Age of Empires II to Age of Empires III. I don't know what, but it just wasn't the same. AoE2 was so good, and the third game just somehow lost that feeling.
(For the record, I quite liked Age of Mythology, but kinda treated/thought of it as being 'different' to AoE2. I guess that might be why I'm not so keen on AoE3, as it calls itself an AoE game, but is much more like AoM)

• Locked thread