Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Rome: Total War. They made huge improvements to the second game (it took like 2 years, though) but it still isn't a classic that I go back to frequently, like the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Natural Selection

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Oh yeah- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is an amazing game but S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is pure HIV/AIDS.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I think I'm gonna catch flak for this, but Sly Cooper

All the Sly games after the first had a terminal case of open world-itis

I played through the first 3 a couple years ago and yeah, I definitely agree

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I 100%d Jak and Daxter 1 over a few days and I think I managed to get 3-4 hours in 2 before abandoning it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

Ultima 4 and 5 were the best, 6 was okay, 7 would have been the best if it had been the old engine because the plot was brilliant but the semi-realtime engine was just loving awful, 8 was a different genre entirely, and 9 bluuuuugh.

goferchan posted:

oh poo poo speaking of PSP Patapon 3 was a tragedy . #2 got a little grinder than the first game but also made a lot of improvements, 3 just ruined everything with a focus on co-op and getting rid of most of the unit management to just focus on a player hero unit .

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

burnout 3 was distilled arcade racing awesomeness with fantastic local multiplayer
burnout paradise was a piece of garbage for friendless stay at home NEETs with online only

Plutonis posted:

Civ IV to V was a dreadful leap and VI still looks terrible

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It was briefly mentioned earlier but Company of Heroes should be brought up here.

The first game is all-around great and one of my favorite RTS games, and I was super stoked for 2, but it ended up being kind of a letdown. The campaign mostly sucked a bunch (with the exception of 3 or so missions) and was filled with enough inaccuracies that it made Enemy At The Gates look like a serious war documentary. The multiplayer, as was mentioned earlier, was completely broken from the ground up for a long time by faction imbalances and Pay2Win commander skill sets. The DLC campaign ended up being okay, but it wasn't even on the eastern front WTF.... the co op missions are pretty fun though, so at least there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It was immensely, comically overpowered for months after its launch, yes

• Locked thread